User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
Pecha72 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,182
Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail ?

The bike΄s a DL650 -12 with some 7 k miles, and after being very satisfied with previous Pilot Road 3 Trails, thought about going PilotRoad 4 Trail next. Havent seen any credible reviews of them myself yet, but according to Michelin΄s own advertising, PR4 has won a recent test in German Motorrad magazine. Actually I do not doubt that they are probably great... but has anybody had PR4 Trails on a DL650 yet – or any other bike for that matter – and if yes, then how have your experiences been??
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #2
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 84
I have a 2012 DL 650 and replaced the rear Pilot Road 3 with a Pilot Road 4, both "Trail" models. Whatever that really means.

The PR 3 had 8500 miles, I cut a trip to the V Strom East rally short to get back home as the tire didn't have the miles left. Into the wear bars when I got home. I installed the PR4 and the last trip was to the V Strom West rally in Silverton Colorado. Rode Ophir pass on it, forest roads and had no chicken strips at all from the twisties there. Just as good on wet as the PR3, cannot tell a difference in handling. BUT....it might actually be wearing a bit better. At about 4K miles now. If I don't get 9500 miles or more on this tire I will not be buying more of them. The front PR3 has 12K miles and has a lot of miles left, so very happy with it.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
akuma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
the pr4 trails are identical to the standard road going pr4 the "trail" after it just signifies it is made in trail bike sizes.
akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Pecha72 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for your comments. There should be 3 versions of it: Standard, GT & Trail, I dunno about exact differences, but I believe the Trail version does have softer compound in the middle. So mileage for example, should only be compared between the same versions.

They claim the new 4 lasts 20% longer than 3... but that΄ll be quite tough to prove, and they know it
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
akuma
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Thanks for your comments. There should be 3 versions of it: Standard, GT & Trail, I dunno about exact differences, but I believe the Trail version does have softer compound in the middle. So mileage for example, should only be compared between the same versions.

They claim the new 4 lasts 20% longer than 3... but that΄ll be quite tough to prove, and they know it
the standards work on most bikes, the gts are meant for the larger/ heavier bikes (k1600 etc) and have stiffer carcasses to cope with the extra weight under breaking. the central compound is slightly wider on the pr4 trail compared to the standard rd4 but that is the only difference (that and the sizes ofcourse)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Pecha72 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
akuma
Adventurer

cool i knew the central compound was wider on the rears i didn't realise it was softer as well-good to know
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Another tire to take a look at is the Bridgestone T30, I picked up a set for $223 shipped from Revzilla, mounted to my Tiger 800, I wanted to try the Michelins but the Bridgstone was considerably cheaper, they seem to stick well to dry pavement, haven't had them in the wet yet.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #9
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Depending on the size you need, you might not have options anyways. I don't see a 150 offered in "GT".

ac
avc8130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Pecha72 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Depending on the size you need, you might not have options anyways. I don't see a 150 offered in "GT".
That's true. Just pointed out, that PR4's are not the same on every bike, even though they might appear very similar.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
My Stelvio is on PR3 Trails now and I'm really happy with them. I've got about 8,500 miles on them now. I think I "might" get another 1,000 from the rear then I'll be at the wear bars. The front looks barely worn but I'm getting a little cupping, but not bad.

They have seen mixed use, commuting, some 2 up day rides, and a couple a long weekend solo and 2 up rides. A little bit of canyon fun. For a heavy bike it's holding up pretty well.

I will go PR4 again, probably be limited to the Trail version for the sizes I'll need. I'd almost prefer to to std on the front to get a little more soft compound on the sides for the canyon runs. I wouldn't mind a little harder in the very center of the rear also to balance out the wear.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote