ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2015, 11:52 PM   #1
neilc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Super Tenere verses 2014 DL1000

I am considering both of these bikes and possible the Honda African Twin when it finally arrives so has any one had experience with the S10 and the DL I am after a replacement for my KTM SMT and want a bike that is Ultimately comfortable for both rider and passenger
Can carry luggage for extended touring
Is suited to rough sealed roads and dirt roads and reasonable two wheel tracks .
I also want cruse control standard on the S10 that is a plus
Not to heavy a plus for DL
Low service costs both appear to fit this
Really top suspension is much lore important to me then HP
neilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
STcorndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I owned a 2007 DL 1000 Vstrom for 100,000 miles.

I bought a 2013 Super Tenere to replace it. I also considered a new DL. My Tenere has 21,000 miles on it now.

The Tenere is better in every way except for weight. It carries the weight low but it is still a heavy bike. It has great suspension. Tons of torque. Rides well loaded heavy. Carries a pillion rider very well. Slightly better road bike and way better dirt bike.

Best of all....it is a shaft drive.

I hope the Tenere holds up as well as my Strom did. I sold the Strom to a friend and it is still going strong.
STcorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by STcorndog View Post
I owned a 2007 DL 1000 Vstrom for 100,000 miles.

I bought a 2013 Super Tenere to replace it. I also considered a new DL. My Tenere has 21,000 miles on it now.

The Tenere is better in every way except for weight. It carries the weight low but it is still a heavy bike. It has great suspension. Tons of torque. Rides well loaded heavy. Carries a pillion rider very well. Slightly better road bike and way better dirt bike.

Best of all....it is a shaft drive.

I hope the Tenere holds up as well as my Strom did. I sold the Strom to a friend and it is still going strong.
I agree; I had a 2014 dl1000, and have a Super Tenere as well. The Suzuki was a great bike, but the Yamaha seems to be of higher quality in terms of materials and components. I decided that I didn't need both, and kept the one that I liked the best.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
slugsmasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I don't own either but have rode both for quite a bit. The S10 is much better off road but feels disconnected and squishy on road. The Vstrom is much more nimble and fun on road but off road is a Vstrom as usual, squirrely.

One thing to consider is the dismal tail rack load rating on the S10, like 10lbs. People have broke off tail racks on these bikes. If you are going two up you need the extra capacity and the S10 is lame in that category stock. The Vstrom can carry a ton on the butt rack, the frame tie in is a lot better and much like the old Vstroms.

Either bike is good but I think the Vstrom will carry more stuff better.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #5
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
The S10 handles great on road and is definitely not "disconnected or squishy." As far as its carrying capacity, go to the S10 threads to see how heavily loaded this bike can be and still tour long distance on and off road. I put 8700 miles on the dl1000, and have put 29,000 on the Yamaha, so I do have some basis for comparison. Both are great bikes.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote