Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #16
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,304
i have brought 2 bikes to the us from canada , not exactly overseas but it gave me a look at us importation rules. you better have the EPA/DOT sticker, forms, letter , other wise it might be shit outta luck.

what is amazing is that any inbred SOB with a slp together harley can get tabs due to home built. I thought od going that route, import it in pieces. assemble it as my home built chopper.... w/ luck you get ther idea.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:50 AM   #17
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Here's mine in African Queens rallye spec. I've still got it but it's back to OE now and I have sold off all the parts.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 05:44 AM   #18
dedes (sas)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
How big a deal is it to buy a new or used A/T in Europe and ship it to the USA and get it licensed? Is this bike available in Japan used? Where is it made?
Here in Greece you can find an AT from 4000-7500 euros (this prices are for models `95 -`02)

I had one and i really loved it.
I sell it with 115000km with no problems
Old 08-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #19
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Here's mine in African Queens rallye spec. I've still got it but it's back to OE now and I have sold off all the parts.
Very nice!

Hey, am I seeing that right... does that Africa Queens setup use the TA tank? How funny if so... most TA guys would KILL for a AT tank to put on their bike!

Did you still have to use the fuel pump from the AT with the TA tank on it?
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #20
rob_erto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Very nice!

Hey, am I seeing that right... does that Africa Queens setup use the TA tank? How funny if so... most TA guys would KILL for a AT tank to put on their bike!
Don't believe it's a TA tank... It appears rather large.
But yes, you can put a AT tank in the TA, but you have to modify the sides of front fairing and adapt a AT seat.

Quote:
Yes, because the fuel exit oh the tank stands bellow the carburator... or at same level.. I don't exactly remember...
rob_erto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #21
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 429
Africa Queens tank

There's an Africa Queens tank available for the TA, both the new and old, as far as I recall.
I've seen the AQ tank for the new 650TA, they're a very ordinary finish, made from fibreglass and bloody heavy WITHOUT fuel. About 4" of the fairing is cut away to make it fit, also requires the removal of the pulse air valve on the TA650. The owner of the bike I saw is still trying to find a suitable location for the airvalve, which prevents the engine from backfiring.
Better would be a carbon fibre/kevlar mat mix for lighter weight. But at the price they charge for the fibreglass version I can't begin to imagine the cost for one in a better, lighter material.
They do require a fuel pump, the Honda AT ( low pressure ) pump is best, pump that Africa Queens supplies has to high a pressure.
At 38 litres capacity, it will take you a looong way
The Honda AT tank also requires a fuel pump.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #22
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackafrica
There's an Africa Queens tank available for the TA, both the new and old, as far as I recall.
I've seen the AQ tank for the new 650TA, they're a very ordinary finish, made from fibreglass and bloody heavy WITHOUT fuel. About 4" of the fairing is cut away to make it fit, also requires the removal of the pulse air valve on the TA650. The owner of the bike I saw is still trying to find a suitable location for the airvalve, which prevents the engine from backfiring.
Better would be a carbon fibre/kevlar mat mix for lighter weight. But at the price they charge for the fibreglass version I can't begin to imagine the cost for one in a better, lighter material.
They do require a fuel pump, the Honda AT ( low pressure ) pump is best, pump that Africa Queens supplies has to high a pressure.
At 38 litres capacity, it will take you a looong way
The Honda AT tank also requires a fuel pump.
Yeah, I haven't really heard that many great things about those AQ deals.

I'm still sticking to my plan Richo. I've decided to teardown my low miler TA and make THAT one into my enduro monster. I look at it this way... the enduro TA will be the one that'll be taking me to hell and back... would I want a mechanical pop'n it's head someplace in hell?

Didn't Churchill says something like, "If you find yourself goint thru hell... keep going." -I like that.

My higher mile bike gets well maintained, but 36K parts do give up the ghost sometimes and sometimes without a good clue. That, and the fact that the lower mile bike is so damn fresh... makes pop'n the front end over logs and junk THAT much easier!

I've got to put one of those R80 or R100 GS bikes on hold. I must do this TA makeover first. I'm thinking I can drop about 50 lbs. off this beast before I'm done. Think... big V-Twin with just enough bits on it to keep her street legal. I can't do anything until like fall/winter... I'm broke man. BROKE!

So... how many miles on the TA now? Snowing yet?
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:46 AM   #23
jackafrica
sinking low in the saddle

Oddometer: 429
Snowin' Yet ?

Michael,
Snowin ' - you been peekin' out da winda ain' cha
Snowflakes and wind today, bloody freezin'.
Playin' with a Staintune oval muff to cut and shut onto the G/S PD ( after removing pillion pegs and pannier frames ), should look tough.
Don't wreck your low mileage bike, that's naughty. 36k miles isn't a whole lot, issues are all well documented. Learn to work on the bike first, if you're going to hell and want to come back, no matter how new the bike you'd want to be familiar with it mechanically.
Losing 50 lbs is a nice thought, but can't really see where the 50 is coming from. but hey, I'm all when it comes to this theory bit on what you're likely to spend YOUR winter doing, instead of riding I've heard about the north wet.
Sadly, no one I'm aware of makes an alternate tank for the 650TA and the Africa Twin tanks are unlikely to fit, even if I could get my hands on one !
Old 08-31-2004, 03:15 AM   #24
rob_erto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackafrica
Michael,
Sadly, no one I'm aware of makes an alternate tank for the 650TA and the Africa Twin tanks are unlikely to fit, even if I could get my hands on one !
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...%2fpd-tank.php

rob_erto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #25
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Very nice!

Thanks, OE AT tank fitted with AQ fuel level warning light, that's all.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #26
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by iswoolley
Any Americans done the private import thing and like to comment on the hassles/pitfalls?
I've brought bikes in from Canada, and that is a piece of cake, generaly. The reason is that Canadian bikes are usually the same (spec wise) as the American version so getting the letter from the manufacturer that certifies the bike meets all DOT/EPA regulations is easy. That is the problem with bringing bikes (and cars) from Europe, Asia, Africa or south of the border. All those other markets have different official specs, so you can't get the required certificate that the bike does indeed meet US Specs. It's especially frustrating becuase you are often hard pressed to find those "critical" differences between bikes (it's more obvious for cars usually) in different markets. What's more, Euro models these days are usually cleaner then US models, so at least from the EPA perspective, it should not be an issue. But then the DOT starts being the barrier. At that point you'll start learning what bureaucracy really means... After reading the requirements and talking with people who had done it, I decided that it's not really worth the hassle. The value of your free time may vary.

There are several options around those restrictions. I haven't looked at it recently, but if you could prove that you lived in outside the US for some time and and have owned the bike for a year or so (don't quote me on that last bit, might be more), they would allow you to bring the bike back as your personal vehicle and waive some of the conversion and certification requirements. That, I think, was the easiest way to import a non-US model to the US. I know several people who worked in Europe and brought bikes that way.

There used to be a few outfits that specialized in getting grey market bikes registered in the US (this included 2-stroke race replicas), but it wasn't cheap and in many states it's getting tougher and tougher to get those bikes registered. IIRC, the cost of certification can easily double the cost of a bike, unless that specific model had been certified that year by someone else, and that cuts the red-tape significnatly.

All you ever wanted to know (and find the errors in my ramble above):

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:28 AM   #27
iswoolley OP
Restless traveller

Oddometer: 194
Question Front end weirdness

I've got a weird problem with my 2002 Africa Twin. At speeds around 30mph (50kph) the front end bounces up and down like a pogo stick. At dead slow speeds it rolls smoothly, and at higher speeds it's good as well. It's just a range of about 10mph centered on 30mph.

I'm running Michelin Anakees on both ends of the bike, the front with about 6000 miles on it. The tread looks okay, although there is the usual difference in wear between front and back of the tread blocks. I've had the front wheel statically balanced, because initially I thought I'd lost a weight, or something. That didn't make a difference.

It's been suggested to me that the tyre has worn to a point where it's vibrating at the harmonic frequency of the front forks, at 30mph. Does this sound reasonable? Should I get the forks checked out? Is tyre pressure hyper critical with this bike-tyre combination?

Help! Iain.
iswoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:54 AM   #28
woods
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh The @ connection

I asked to the missus to upgrade, and surprise surprise she said yes,started to advertise the @, and here comes the worst point of my 28 years of biking, I have become so attached to the @ and it is now emotionally impossible to sell the bike. I have never grown so attached to any of my previous bikes.
I guess if you have an @ upgrading seems difficult.
(for iswoolley)
Tyre pressures are critical on the @, if you have used them deflated offroad you better get them up to the correct pressure asap. On Michelin Anarkees we tested it to be 2,7bars for the front tyre, and 3,0bars foer the back tyre. Hope this helps.
woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:18 AM   #29
iswoolley OP
Restless traveller

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods
On Michelin Anarkees we tested it to be 2,7bars for the front tyre, and 3,0bars foer the back tyre.
Holy Cow! That's 39 and 43 psi in old money, which is about 10psi more than I normally run. I've had recomendations to run at 30 psi (approx. 2 bar) before, but there again I've got my current weirdness. Do you mainly run the bike loaded up (pillion, luggage, etc.)?

Iain
iswoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #30
woods
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Tyres!!!

Since the missus wont let me have all the fun alone she is with me 75% of the time. I also went "never that is way to hard" for the pressure, but its working now. I previously ran the Bridgestone trailwings and had exactly the same problem, I changed the pressures and was amazed with the results.Now here comes something not everyone does with his/her @.Mine is used for the odd track day offroad academy and just plain touring,on-road and off-road.I know I cant race around a track at lap record speed, but I still enjoy the thumbs up in the pits from a R1,GSXR etc. rider when he cant close the gap around a corner. But I will do the same to him if he ever ventures offroad.!
woods is offline   Reply With Quote