User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #406
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,721
Hey man.....

You not only get the "Fast action with a Fistful of Cash" award, you also get the "Longtime Lurker" award....15 months and only one post.

Well....if your only gonna have one post...this one was HUGE.

Congrats on an incredible buy for an brilliant bike.

Ray(no matter how many times I ran the card, 12.5 just wouldn't come out)Stedronsky
Davis, CA
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #407
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
j-j-j-jealousy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENERE
It was me and it's still in California........
Dude... that's a SWEET grab. Have fun!!!
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #408
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENERE
It was me and it's still in California........
Congratulations! Here is a picture of mine along with my brother's (Tarider) very cool and retro XLV 750R model intended for the Japanese market. Look us up if you're ever down here!
Attached Images

1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #409
TENERE
Wide Bars

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the congrats and I'll accept an award for luck. I'm glad I was the first person to get to George who was selling the bike and happy he was willing to part with it..........

Ultra rare opportunity = Instant drain on bank account - I jumped on it!
TENERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #410
thecat
ARMAGH

Oddometer: 12
bastard!

i've been looking for an AT for years
say one for sale in Sausalito about 2 years ago.
think it was a '98, but he was looking too much for it.
so ended up buying an 05 12gs instead.
saw that on criags list this morning, sold of course.
anyway good luck with it man.
How did he import/register it in the states?
I looked into that but there's a lot of crap about epa/dot testing.
got any info on that?
thecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #411
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Dyna Charge Monitor on the AT

This also posted over at xrv.org.uk.
Thought I would share my latest gadget. Not sure about the rest of you but I need peace of mind knowing the status of my charging system.
Last thing I want on a longish roadtrip is a flat battery somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

The following is a epoxy encased 3 LED unit (self adhesive) that sticks to the top of my tripmeter. 2 wires, one to ground and the other to a source on the switched side of the ignition.

The center "green" LED lets you know all is normal. At cruising speed even with all the external lights "on", electric vest and grips "on" you will
normally see the green light.

The left hand "red" LED indicates the system is undervoltage and your battery may have the risk of running down. Following pic is my AT at "idle speed" with headlights "on" and heated grips "on". Snapping the throttle and it immediately goes to "green" or normal again.
The right hand "red" LED indicates an overvoltage condition telling you your volt. regulator is possibly failing and you risk cooking your battery.
They sell for about $50 USD over here. Works good, and will last a long time.

GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:57 AM   #412
ZORBA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Here is mine...
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #413
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,339
alright gentlemen, this thread has got me to the point that I'm seriously considering getting rid of the GS and joining the club. I have a line on a 97' RD07. Please tell those of us who haven't ridden the AT what your impressions are as compared to the R11XXGS and why we should all jump on the AT bandwagon. All the info so far has been helpful but I need some more actual riding impressions.
Thanks in Advance, Dino

Thanks agian Jim for your time.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #414
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
alright gentlemen, this thread has got me to the point that I'm seriously considering getting rid of the GS and joining the club. I have a line on a 97' RD07. Please tell those of us who haven't ridden the AT what your impressions are as compared to the R11XXGS and why we should all jump on the AT bandwagon. All the info so far has been helpful but I need some more actual riding impressions.
Thanks in Advance, Dino

Thanks agian Jim for your time.
OK, the AT is a lot less powerfull, on a good dirt road or tar the GS will eat it but as soon as the dirt gets tougher the AT will eat the GS, narrower tyres and a 21" front wheel make all the difference. The AT is much cheaper for tyres than the GS and you have much more choice when it comes to knobbies.

Ive done close to 200,000km on my AT, I love to have a ride on my friends GS's but I wouldn't own a GS instead because I prefer to make my compromises on the tar side of the equation. I think the AT has more character than the GS as well. If your a big bloke the AT is much more roomy than any of the GS's as well. Also I guess for you Yanks as well as for us Aussies where AT's have never been officially sold is the joy of having something unusual.

bad things ?, well really the only thing for me is the AT is really quite slow.

Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #415
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
impression

I'm not that experienced in the Dual Sport area, but I do own an 88 RD03 though it's got some oddities. I still prefer my Twin over anything else I've ridden or looked at.

Ups
1. I prefer the V-Twin over the BMW parallel. Granted I haven't owned one, I just don't like the engine that exposed.
2. It's darn near unstoppable. Yup, it's a Honda!
3. It's the first bike I've ever fit on. (I'm a large guy 190cm/120kg)
4. It's got great personality.
4.5 It scared cars.
5. Handles great on pretty much any road I through at it.

Downs
1. RD03 is a little rare and hard to source parts for sometimes.
2. It's HEAVY, granted, so it are the older BMWs. I don't mind, but I fit the big guy, big bike ideoligy.
3. Doesn't have the highway speeds of the Veras and Beamers, but where I'm at, 140km is about as fast as I ever get.
4. It's a bit of a pig on gas.

I like it so much, I'm shipping it from Korea to the UAE in the summer. I don't want to risk not being able to find one there.
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:40 AM   #416
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macosie
I'm not that experienced in the Dual Sport area, but I do own an 88 RD03 though it's got some oddities. I still prefer my Twin over anything else I've ridden or looked at.

Ups
1. I prefer the V-Twin over the BMW parallel. Granted I haven't owned one, I just don't like the engine that exposed.
2. It's darn near unstoppable. Yup, it's a Honda!
3. It's the first bike I've ever fit on. (I'm a large guy 190cm/120kg)
4. It's got great personality.
4.5 It scared cars.
5. Handles great on pretty much any road I through at it.

Downs
1. RD03 is a little rare and hard to source parts for sometimes.
2. It's HEAVY, granted, so it are the older BMWs. I don't mind, but I fit the big guy, big bike ideoligy.
3. Doesn't have the highway speeds of the Veras and Beamers, but where I'm at, 140km is about as fast as I ever get.
4. It's a bit of a pig on gas.

I like it so much, I'm shipping it from Korea to the UAE in the summer. I don't want to risk not being able to find one there.
Interesting...I swapped a 2001 1150GS for my 1998 AT and honestly believe that I got the better deal

The AT feels ( and I believe in fact IS) substantially lighter than the GS, I was always worried about dropping the GS but don't worry on the Twinky as I know I can pick it up.

The range on a tankfull is about the same at 200 (UK) miles, tyres - as mentioned are cheaper and last the same time.

Wind buffeting is not an issue for me with the standard AT screen but was awful on the GS, even when the screen was Tobinated. The seat is narrower and harder, I have a Touradreck seat that is as comfortable as the GS's was and 500 miles is not a problem for my bum.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda! I had an absolute blast on Salisbury Plain with my fellow AfricaTwinsettees the other weekend, getting me and my bike filthy.

Once you get used to the fact that it steers more slowly (due, I guess to the 21" front wheel) when compared to a GS, it feels completely planted and I have so much confidence in this bike (on dirt and on the road) it's just amazing. It is slower than a GS, but I bought the BMUU to slow down after riding a VFR.

I know I sound a bit like an evangalist, but this is the first bike I've felt like keeping for ever. I love it

YMMV, ha ha!

Cheers
-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #417
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie
this is the first bike I've felt like keeping for ever. I love it
Convinced yet, Dino? Do it.

Jim.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #418
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
Convinced yet, Dino? Do it.

Jim.
Howdy, Jim

If it hadn't been for those pegs...

Have you fixed that tractor yet?

Cheers
-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #419
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie
Howdy, Jim

If it hadn't been for those pegs...

Have you fixed that tractor yet?

Cheers
-Simon
Hi Simon,
The GS is on the road to recovery. I borrowed its forks for the AT while those are getting cleaned up. But my tractor is not in need of repair. Yes, I have one of those too. (For snow removal, not farming)
Jim.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #420
thump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
bought mine as a cool rarity;right place, right time and -"i can always sell it and make a buck right?" this is a keeper!so good at back roads and off road that its addictive.slow motor and handles compared to a gs but it just feels good wherever you are but high speed slabbing.mine is a rd03 so the 750 is probably a little better for the interstate.buy it you won't regret.
thump is offline   Reply With Quote