Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #526
Bummer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
Have always liked Africa Twins. My main ride is a KTM 950. When I was in Cambodia last year a friend wanted to sell his black 95 AT so I said sure. Six months later was in Phnom Penh and saw a mint condition 2001 red white and blue one. So I had to have that as well.

Then last month a friend of mine that has a small shop brougt in a 97 AT all in pieces fresh from Japan. I carefully looked at all the pieces scattered on the floor, and OF COURSE had to have that one as well. All original with 9k kilometers on the clock. All the original stickers on it, plus the original rubber on the pegs. He had it together in two days. Runs like a new bike. Really like the sound of the Remus pipe.

Seek medical help?? Nah too expensive. Since I live in motorcycle paradise in Thailand and have too many bikes I think the solution is to rent one them out. That way people will think I am still sort of sane. And yes that is my GS parked behind the latest AT............
Holy cow.. Is this the same planet.. That GS alone, cost 39.000 freeking EURO here in Denmark.. I badly need one of thise AT´s...

Feel lucky Punk....

We dont stop making foolish things because we get older.
But if we stop making foolish things, we get old to fast...(that goes for foolish nicknames too... )
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #527
Macosie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Question options

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750
A Dyna charge monitor would have given you a heads up in that situation and possibly averted your disaster. Here's a previous post of mine. I have one on my gspd too and swear by them.
I can't find a Dyna seller who ships to Korea. Are there any other options out there other than Dyna. So far my internet searches are not showing much. Then again, I have always admitted to being fairly inept at the internet search... I miss catalogues.
Macosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #528
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macosie
I can't find a Dyna seller who ships to Korea. Are there any other options out there other than Dyna. So far my internet searches are not showing much. Then again, I have always admitted to being fairly inept at the internet search... I miss catalogues.
Hey Macosie,

Try
http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna_charge.htm
http://www.pingelonline.com/dyna_charge_monitor.htm

For sale on ebay at a decent price. Just convince seller to ship.
http://search.ebay.ca/dyna-charge-mo...QQfclZ3QQfnuZ1
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #529
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I need some help with some AT parts

I hope my ADV rider brothers will be able to help me . I went home to South Africa a month ago . I went to the local dealer I used to deal with in Port Elizabeth .

To my dissapointment , I have waited 1 month for a reply , but no luck . So , here goes . I own a 1998 RD07 . My main transmission output shaft bearing is shot . By meaning shot, 40% of the ball-bearings are gone (missing ). The bike has 63000 kilometres on it , and has done quite a lot of sand riding with heavy loads . My guess is , that is what the cause is . It never missed a service , and I always let the bike warm up after start up .

I need all the parts for an engine rebuild , from gaskets to bearings , timing chains and whatever you . It only needs the bearings , though , so I thought , what the hell , might as well do the whole deal . I have contacted African Queens in Germany , and I want the hop - up kit . But I am still awaiting reply . Could any of you guys in Germany see what you can do for me . I can give the frame and engine # whenever someone gets in touch with me .

I miss riding my TWIN , she is parked in the corner of my garage and it is not fair . She has been good to me , from Botswana in Africa , to Mexico and now South Carolina . I have big plans i.e. DAKAR makeover , and some POWER.

I appreciate if someone out there can help us.

adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #530
heikkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin-junkie
I need all the parts for an engine rebuild , from gaskets to bearings , timing chains and whatever you . It only needs the bearings , though , so I thought , what the hell , might as well do the whole deal . I have contacted African Queens in Germany , and I want the hop - up kit . But I am still awaiting reply . Could any of you guys in Germany see what you can do for me . I can give the frame and engine # whenever someone gets in touch with me .
You might also try David Silver Spares in UK; specialized in Honda OEM parts and prices - at least compared to Finnish ones - are very reasonable:
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk
heikkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #531
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin-junkie
I hope my ADV rider brothers will be able to help

I need all the parts for an engine rebuild , from gaskets to bearings , timing chains and whatever you . It only needs the bearings , though , so I thought , what the hell , might as well do the whole deal . I have contacted African Queens in Germany , and I want the hop - up kit . But I

I appreciate if someone out there can help us.
For starters AQ generally do not communicate via email. If you want them to expidite new OEM parts for you then you have to be clear with them on what you require. They like to use fax's. I would suggest you register with xrv.org.uk if your not already and access the parts illustrated fiches complete with part #'s.

Print off the pages you want and underline the parts and qty. you require.
Fax the works over to them including anything you want on their web site.

You can also talk to them on the phone. Ask for Tom. His english is good.
Once all the parts are together and shipping charges are determined they will advise you. You can send them a Euro money order or pay with visa which can be costly as they can rack up extra charges on credit cards over there.

Where did all those ball bearings go that are missing in the pic.? Did they do any further damage?

If not, then your not in that bad of shape. Just a lot of labor splitting the cases. All you really need then is the bearing, a few seals and gaskets. You'll be on the road in no time. .
Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 AM   #532
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Is this...

the kind of damage you'd expect from overtightening the chain? If so it's dead easy to avoid in future, and might serve as a warning for others

Cheers
-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:37 AM   #533
olyerhoek
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie
Is this...
the kind of damage you'd expect from overtightening the chain?
Hi,

I don't think this is the main output shaft, by looking at the foto this must be the right side of the engine with the crankshaft on the right. The shaft with the broken bearing would be the transmission input shaft, where the clutch housing is on.

I wonder where the 'missing' balls went, if they went into the gearbox i would take the whole engine apart and clean it out. You defenitly don't want any (partial) balls in your gearbox.

And when you're at it, do the whole deal for sure, sounds like she deserves that. Try faxing AQ, that usually works faster.
Hope you get her up and running soon.

Oh and by the way, what is a "hop-up" kit?

Cheers, Edgar
olyerhoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #534
olyerhoek
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wicked rebuilding my twin

Hi guys,
here an update about rebuilding my australia twin plus some pictures.
As I said last time i connected the electrics and after starting for a minute it gave a few coughs and it started! after two years, being completely stripped it is alive again!
Last weekend i put the watercooling on and last but not least, the tank(yep, that is 40 liters/11 Gallons ). It really starts to look like a bike again now again. will have to repaint the tank though. Also fitter the handlebars and everything.
Still waiting now for a few parts(starting relais, fan switch, K&N airfilter and some rubbers) to make a first test drive. Since my fairing and cockpit got crushed in a crash in New Zealand i'm planning to make a new fairing, rally style, i found a lot of really good pictures on this forum. And i ordered a Imo rally computer from Touratech to replace the broken speedo and tacho.
I can't wait to take it for a real spin. I will keep you posted.http://tribal.student.utwente.nl/gal...serialNumber=2
http://tribal.student.utwente.nl/gal...serialNumber=2
Cheers, Edgar

olyerhoek screwed with this post 06-07-2006 at 07:30 AM
olyerhoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #535
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you for the input

That is the right side of the motor , with the clutch basket removed . The reason why I took the bike apart , is that it had a weird noise , when the bike was idling in neutral . The moment you would pull the clutch in , it would go quiet , and you would get feedback to the clutchlever.. The bike was running fine , besides the noise .

My guess , is that the balls are inside the motor somewhere . That is why I am taking it apart .

Thank you once again for the help . I will get right on it , and register with XRV.co.uk. I hope to have her on the road soon again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750
For starters AQ generally do not communicate via email. If you want them to expidite new OEM parts for you then you have to be clear with them on what you require. They like to use fax's. I would suggest you register with xrv.org.uk if your not already and access the parts illustrated fiches complete with part #'s.

Print off the pages you want and underline the parts and qty. you require.
Fax the works over to them including anything you want on their web site.

You can also talk to them on the phone. Ask for Tom. His english is good.
Once all the parts are together and shipping charges are determined they will advise you. You can send them a Euro money order or pay with visa which can be costly as they can rack up extra charges on credit cards over there.

Where did all those ball bearings go that are missing in the pic.? Did they do any further damage?

If not, then your not in that bad of shape. Just a lot of labor splitting the cases. All you really need then is the bearing, a few seals and gaskets. You'll be on the road in no time. .
Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #536
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Hop up kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyerhoek
Hi,

I don't think this is the main output shaft, by looking at the foto this must be the right side of the engine with the crankshaft on the right. The shaft with the broken bearing would be the transmission input shaft, where the clutch housing is on.

I wonder where the 'missing' balls went, if they went into the gearbox i would take the whole engine apart and clean it out. You defenitly don't want any (partial) balls in your gearbox.

And when you're at it, do the whole deal for sure, sounds like she deserves that. Try faxing AQ, that usually works faster.
Hope you get her up and running soon.

Oh and by the way, what is a "hop-up" kit?

Cheers, Edgar
A Hop - up kit , that African Queens sells is a big bore kit . Bigger pistons and rings.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #537
TicoRiders.com
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi everybody! Greeting from Costa Rica

TicoRiders.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #538
Bummer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Hey Tico..

Welcome on board...

We dont stop making foolish things because we get older.
But if we stop making foolish things, we get old to fast...(that goes for foolish nicknames too... )
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #539
zorza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Here are some pictures of the @ with two up on a trip to spain... Each day that goes by, I love it even more...

Zorza
zorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #540
zorza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
Lord, I have seen the light !!!!!!!! I had already ordered two dyna charge indicators just before the rectifier died. Am now putting them on all my Africa Twins. Those CDIs are EXPENSIVE. Great idea though . Otherwise you are motoring down the road happily looking at scenery, next moment you are by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a dead bike. Easy call to put one one.
Hi beemer.. Where have you ordered this from????

Zorza
zorza is offline   Reply With Quote