User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Silent Panda OP
Moms love me

Oddometer: 159
hello trials forum

...thanks to those that answered my questions and provided advice.

I got my new to me trials bike today. It is a nice Gas Gas TXT 321. I've been out in the yard doing small circles and figure eights but need to take some time to set the bike up for me. It is very tough to try hops with the rear suspension blowing through its travel with just me standing on it...

Hopefully I can hit a comp this year...there are a couple trials inc events within an hour of home...I hope there are first timer classes!

Also, if anyone has or can point me to a shop manual I would appreciate it.

Please feel free to reply with any set up advice...

Silent Panda screwed with this post 09-15-2009 at 01:19 PM
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,278
owners manuals are on dvd however ....

depending on year. Search on You Tube!!! some great service stuff on there as well as the Gas Gas website! see sticky near top of the forum! What year is it?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Silent Panda OP
Moms love me

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
depending on year. Search on You Tube!!! some great service stuff on there as well as the Gas Gas website! see sticky near top of the forum! What year is it?

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

2000. Gas gas only had the parts list...thank you the you tube link!
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,267
NO HOPS on beginner sections....

Panda you won't have hopping on beginner sections anyway so practice what u will be doing. Don't make the mistake of entering in too difficult of a class. This sport is very humbling and beginner is where you belong no matter how much off-road riding u have done. Beginner class teaches u turning skills,going up and down hill properly, riding off camber and crossing rocks and logs at odd angles. Try to find a mentor to bring your learning curve up faster.
On bike set-up the bars should be tipped well forward and levers should be set so the ball end is halfway on the grip and u can reach the dogleg easily. The levers should be set just below horizontal so u can reach them easily going downhill. I know this sounds strange but is correct. Set your clutch engagement so that it is close to the handlebar....that is engages quickly. Ride on the pegs on the balls of your feet. u will lift your foot off to shift anyway. Your tires should have no more than 4-5 lbs. of air and set your shock very soft for good rear bite.
When riding remember a few simple rules taught to me long ago.... 1) Use all of the ribboned area to make turns on the course.2) on an uphill turn put your wheel well above the point that you think it should go as the rear wheel will go a shorter arc and you will make turns better. This is especially true if u are going past a tree on an uphill..3) Enter a section with your hands and feet on the brakes and covering the clutch. With your bike you will probably be in 2nd gear as 1st is beastly and may be overpowering.4) when encountering uphill rocks slightly accelerate BEFORE the obstacle rather than powering on it.5) take your time and be patient. watch your own line and concentrate on it...not what some expert is doing in the section.6) Learn where your body belongs on the bike...to the down hill side on off cambers so the inside of the tire bites. to the back fender with your butt going downhill and centered or forward going uphill. These bikes respond to input far more than others .7) keep a steady throttle and you don't need much of it with that bike. Too much throttle upsets the chassis and compresses the rear spring. Think of flowing with the course not overpowering.
Check your ego at the door, breathe and don't ever panic or give up. It is no shame to be defeated by a 15 yr. old girl early on or some old man on an ancient Bultaco. You need to look up a guy named Yuki Wannanbe from Cinnci as he is an expert who helps everyone. Good luck and above all have fun.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Yes, as mentioned don't go overboard learning to hop. All beginner sections should be able to be ridden clutch free. Really try to do a lot of clutch free riding when you practise a section.

Hopping and moving the bike side to side will come later.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,267
thanks for the 10-4 BMR. We often see new riders with expectations that exceed their skill levels. This is a unique cycle sport where you start at A and it is a long road to Z. It is best when new riders understand that this is not EZ right from the start. Good luck Panda and above all have fun and learn how a bike works.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote