User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,595
Ambition over Ability - 2010 Hard Core Posties Recce

When I was first starting my riding days, I formed an opinion that if the weather looked dodgy you simply accepted the fact that you would get wet. If you did it wasn't a surprise (especially given 1970's wet weather gear). If it turned dry, well that was a bonus.

Typically, if the weather looked dodgy, it was because it was and I got wet. Very rarely did it turn nice.
So, despite the misgivings of my middle age, I loaded the bike. Dressed myself for the weather and departed.
Just as I filled up and re-set the tyres, it pissed down even harder.

3 hour ride in the rain to reach Gra's place and the humidity made me nearly as wet inside as out. No leaks though.
With a distinct lack of enthusiasm for riding in the rain, Gra twisted my arm real hard and I agreed we'd do an AdvDriver down to Carbour to meet the others. Of course, by the time we'd reached there it wasn't raining.

The infamous (now almost world famous?) Uncle Gra had graciously agreed to guide a bunch of even more infamous mad banana benders (otherwise known as Queenslanders) around a few tracks in north eastern Victoria, as a recce for the annual charity event 'Hard Core Posties 2010'.
Truth be known he probably badgered them until they agreed to follow him around, just to get some peace & quiet!

For those not in the know, Queensland is basically 2 days from Victoria, unless your on a big mission. Or flying in a commercial jet. The Queenslanders - Darren and Paul with the star crew of The Gav, Tugboat Bill and Philth - dragged their bikes down behind cars. I reckon it was their fault that it was raining and they brought it with them.
With the exception of Doug on his well used XR600, they all had DR650s. Paul's was a little older and the star crew had 3 brand spankers.

Why Carbour? Because that happens to be the location of the R&V Aqualine Factory of Mr Robin Box. The manufacturer of Safari Tanks. Three new tanks, on black, on white and one translucent were lined up to go onto the new bikes. One of Robin's daughters was also sorting three sets of pannier frames to go on.

Robin giving some tips on his product, while Philth points the video.

Tugboat Bill quietly screwing around

Philth's crack at the tank (Photo by The Gav?)

Very industrious lot. Philth, The Gav, Dangerous Dazz and Paul

Paul having attempt no 1 at securing the cross brace. Attempt no.2 had the rubber washers fitted on BOTH sides of the brace.

Robin and Bill lining up an aluminium pannier to the frame. (photo by Philth)

At some point The Gav and Paul disappeared down to the community hall and cooked the biggest lumps of steak you'd ever like put on a plate in front of you. Bloody beautifully cooked too. So tender, we could cut it with plastic knives. Robin's wife and daughters also hooked in, with setting up, home made muffins & ice cream for afters and then cleaning up. Thanks heaps ladies

Plans were made for getting together the following morning. 7am at Porpunkah roundabout. That was 7am, right. Yep. 7am.
I think it was the Gav who proffered "Well, you know ten past, maybe... Don't rush, eh?"

Gra' & I did a further AdvDriver back to his place, got to bed around midnight with the expectation of being on the road around 6am to get to the rendezvous

Woke up around 4am. Lay around until 5am. Breakfast and on the road, in the dark, about 6.10am. Onto the mud, still in the dark, to head up over Mt Porpunkah into Bright. The first bit of unsealed road was one of those typical, oft used farm tracks, low down in the valley with plenty of traffic to chop it up and turn it into slush. Sphincter tightener. Not fun. I was relieved when we started up the hill. At least it was only raining lightly.

We filled up at Bright then another 5 kays down to the roundabout. And waited. Sufficient time passed for us to realise the blokes were running late. Then for both of us to ride across the river to attend to, what are they called in polite company? ‘morning constitutionals’. Needed that.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

So we waited. I got out my chair.

And took a few snaps as some sunlight broke through.

The 690 is almost a colour match.

It's my story. I can put as much bs in it as I like!

Seems like they may have had to do some final touches this morning...

Robin and his elder daughter led the group south along the Buckland Valley Road for a few kays then peeled off, returning home. He reckon'd on 3 hours riding to Dargo.

With Gra leading the way, I expected the pace would be fairly moderate. Never known him to push along very hard. More things that make you go hmmm. This was a bit quicker than normal. I was acting as sweep and that would end up being less than desireable

About 15km of bitumen and the surface changed to gravel and a bit of mud.
The clouds were still really low but the sunlight was trying to break through. Given that Philth has a penchant for making riding films, the video camera was out and there were a few stops to allow for a bit of footage to be taken.

At one point, the noob (me) was asked to ride alongside The Gav, with Philth behind. Yeah, that was fine until we came to a corner. My past makes me extremely nervous when I can't see around bends and, instead of riding side by side, I peeled off behind. Sorry Philth, just that yellow streak starting to show. Anyway, he blasted past me and I only got to be incidental after that. And I thought I was..gonna be..... A STAR!

Back to reality.

Came around a bend and saw this. Glorious. Front page photo if it comes out, so I thought. I'm worried that I have delusions of grandeur!

Great photo. Beautiful light and captures the moment.
Trouble is, it also captured the moment The Gav was having a leak. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
And go.

Like something from Austin Powers?
Or too much the previous evening?

Another thing I've learnt along the way is that maps are flat.
We wound along, and up, into the clouds. Buckland River Road, Mount Selwyn Road up to Tea Tree Range Road. And I thought Mt Selwyn was in NSW!

All pretty easy riding. Even for me. It really takes me a long time to relax and let the bike move, and to remember to use my feet on the pegs to steer. I've got the theory tucked away there, but the practical lets me down.

By the time we'd reached the summit of Tea Tree Range Road the sun was pretty much shining throughout. We were above the majority of the cloud.

Philth had a couple of runs with the video in hand.

Paul and The Gav.

Talk about efficient. The decision was made to check the pressure in the knobbies.

I think I'll take guesses at what pressure was in The Gav's tubes before this point.
And I don't know that Bill's were any better.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,723
Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 281
Thumb Home town ride

Nice story form both of you .
Should have called me as you were at the bottom of the main road i live off.
Or was that a weekend i had to work.
Well done guys .
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,162
Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,875
nice pics ray, but that was gavs crack, i wax mine
philth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Nice RR Ray

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Nice photos, and good RR.
Thanks for the sharing
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth
nice pics ray, but that was gavs crack, i wax mine
Yep, should've looked at the shirt. Back to the story.

No one wants to guess the pressure in the tyres eh?
Try 70+ psi. Trying to seat the bead. Or maybe just forgot.

We followed along and Gra led us up the garden path to a little highland hut where the rest and repose of a couple of occupants was disturbed.

It was out and back, so I chose to head back a bit and get the camera out for some views of the hills and clouds and stuff.

A few minutes later I heard the crack of a single coming up the track. Philth was on a little mission to get ahead for some footage.

A little later, all the gang came through. Notable that Gra is the most conservative of the lot.

I like the little extra crack at the end. I wonder if that was where The Gav got a bit of extra air over an erosion mound and popped the front brake hose over the top of the windscreen. A few moments to correct that and we were away again.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Southward Ho! and we started to descend. Nice gentle hills and curvy bits to commence with.
Came around one hairpin to encounter everyone turning around and heading in the opposite direction. The crown of a fairly large gum tree was blocking the road.

With no immediately obvious alternative, Philth took a left and plowed through the scrub. Bill followed, Paul, The Gav & Dazza. I looked at it and thought, "you want me to ride down there!?" Devious old bastard kept riding back up the hill.

S'pose I was fortunate that Paul threw his bike down on a log, Gav and Darren were stuck on their bikes not able to help. I was up on the track, being apprehensive, so I saw the opportunity to get off the bike and help Paul lift the bike up. A wise use of time, as it proved.
Granddad appeared at the track, below the fallen tree and called out that there was a track 100 metres up the hill. Score!

The 'terrorists' blazed a trail through the scrub on the left, to get around the tree that you can see behind them.

Gra and I went down this track.

500 metres further down there were a couple of blokes and some sheilas stopped on a bend. Whilst trying to not stare at one of the women, I mentioned that there was a track around the tree.
I don't know if anyone noticed video cameras, but there were a few questions/comments regarding their motivation for being there.

Next stop, after several diversions around more fallen trees, was just before the major decent down into the valley, at the intersection with Mount Hart Track.

This reasonably innocuous, somewhat overgrown track tends to create an impression of an easy ride.

The devil is in the detail. The detail being that realisation that the further we travel horizontally, the steeper the vertical component will become.
If my understanding of where we were is correct, this is around 1450m. Crooked River, a few klicks down the hill, is at around 500m. I pulled up and photographed the blokes just at the top of the cliff. There was no way one could call this a road.

This type of riding is starting to get to me. I don't know whether I'm enjoying myself or not. Fat and fifty and I'm following blokes whom, aside from making it took easy (therefore making me think that I should be able to do it to, and then wonder why I struggle), having been doing this sort of riding for years and reckon it is easy. Geez! us! At least is was dry.

I have no real idea of how I didn't end up impaled on some tree stump or with a loaded 690 using me as a cushion, but I reckon I did crash about 3 times without falling off! I remember one bit, deep bloody ruts stretching for 100 metres down this sandy / rocky stretch and all I did was slide down at around 45 deg. But hey! I kept talking to myself and staying off the front brake, trying to get it to roll as far as possible and I made it.
And then there was this bit with huge point rocks sticking up in what had been my intended path. I somehow managed to change my line and ride around the rocks on what might be called a burm. Bit chuffed with myself at that point.

I think I can only truly suggest that I enjoyed it, in hindsight. Dinner plate eyes. I understand that, now.

When we finally arrived, unscathed, at the bottom someone had the brilliant idea of a longish rest break. I'd almost forgotten that I was still wearing the wet weather liner inside the jacket. Fairly drenched was I when I took it off.

Along Racecourse track to the first crossing at Wongungarra River. I knew this was a pretty cruisy crossing, having ridden it last year. But that was on the sidecar.
Only casualty was Paul, who gave his DR a drink just short of the other side. I hope Philth managed to capture that.

Another bit of a break, to let the DR breath a bit. Darren decided he needed a bit of water. I was walking down to take another photo and heard him say, 'maybe I should get some from upstream' obviously contemplating that we'd just stirred up the bottom. As he described it, he was bent over, legs nearing the splitz trying to keep his boots dry and looking like a giraffe, when Philth decided he needed a bit of a shove.

So much for dry boots. Next time Philth, make sure the camera is actually ready.

And then we headed for another, hugely anticipated, highlight of the ride. 24 crossings of the Crooked River.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,723

dont stop
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Just keeping the home happy, mate. Fixing Laura's bike's front brakes and trying to find a loud rattle, which I now know is in the front header. Changed the rear pads on the 690 too, and gave it a tub.

Okay, so back to the Crooked River at Talbotville and 24 crossings.
The crossings are so frequent that there is scarcely any time to do anything other than stop above the entry, find a line into the water, cross and then try and work out a line up the other side.

Fact is, except for No. 24, the crossings were a bit of a doddle. Yeah, I stopped halfway through the 3rd or 4th one when I nudged neutral. That was the only issue when I was actually in the river.
The hard bit, the exhausting bit, was the getting in and out.
With all the 4wd gouging rocks and ruts everywhere it was a case pick a line and try and stick to it.

This is one of those very rare photos of me riding my bike. Maybe I can print it & stick it on the wall for at work for all the Learners to be inspired by.

Photo by Philth.

Paul's bag came loose a couple of times, so we became detached from the pack. Or, expressed otherwise, the bastards just pissed orf!
Added in with a wrong turn up the hill which lead to a dead end and a retrace, followed shortly after by me falling off in a muddy hole and then plowing through some scrub, both coming up out of the river meant we didn't catch up again until the last crossing.

Over the crest and there is a roost about 10m high coming from the rear of one of the Drs in the middle of the crossing. Gra was already over, with the 625 just at the water's edge and a steep, rocky left turn immediately ahead of him. Philth and Bill and Dog only knows who else was in the water with the bike and the video camera. This'll be in Motorbikin' 4 for certain. So nil here, you'll have to wait.
This was the worst & deepest of the crossings, with some fairly large goolies about 2/3rd across. I think it was Gav who nearly turned turtle but just managed to bounce his way across. I jumped the que, for once, and got hung up and stopped just at the deep bit. Re-started on the button (not like a KLR is used to have which needed pushing across every bit of water I ever found ) and promptly crashed as the front skied at the exit. Maybe that was crashed about four times trying to get the bike up the hill. Eventually I walked it up the last 5 metres and it was my turn to promptly crash!
Gra eventually gave up and handed the 625 over to Bill to get it up onto the flat.

But the video will be good. You just wait & see. And for the Hard Core Postie blokes - this'll be fun, fun, fun.

Just before the horror of Bulltown Spur.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

In the space of just over 2km, Bulltown Spur Track goes from 400m to 900m. And there are some flat bits where you can actually stop and rest. But only if you need it.
A bit of rest and some water around my head, neck and wrists took some temperature out of this old body and it WAS with a bit of enthusiasm that I headed up the hill. This time I was up the front.

That lasted until the first hair pin where I tried to gas it, in first, to drive up the climb. The front went skywards, kept going around to the right and I nearly went back over the embankment where I had started from.
Shit. Bugger. Bum. Bitch. Piss. Cock. Fart....
Everyone else rode past, so I was at the back, again.
Gra and Paul, I think, it may have been Gav, or someone else. Came back and got me back pointed in the right direction. I got another 100 metres up and the front went upwards & to the right and I stopped, yet again. Getting very tired now. Getting very shitty too.

The hardest part was getting mobile and through first gear. That's what I'd finally worked out from these last few trips that are much more difficult than anything I've attempted before. I got through the first half of the climb and pulled up past Paul & Gra, fixing the bag back onto Pauls' DR. Nearly at the point of throwing up now. Everything else was quiet. The others had reached the top, at McMillan Rd and waited.

I needed to not be last, so headed off again and was going fantastic until I came around a corner and saw the last long pinch up ahead. With two 4wd coming down the other way. No way was I going to stop halfway up another bloody hill, not intentionally anyway!
The front driver gave me a flash of the headlights but I was already attacking it!
Geez. That's how you do it! Shit easy. Even slowed down, changed down to first and crawled past the two cages.
Got over confident then. Tried to get more momentum and change up to 2nd again. Stall. Things that make you go 'hmmm'. Actually, I did that twice.
When I got to the top, I actually got a round of applause from the others who where sitting down resting. I couldn't get off the bike I was so bloody shagged. And I recognised where I was. Been here before on the outfit and remembered thinking it was just silly to try & ride up this hill, that I'd just ridden up!

Yes, the photo is 12 months old. I was too shagged to get the camera out & just thought I thro' this one in. Bulltown Spur track disappears stage right, just in front of Gra's bike. You can't really see the bottom, even from the edge of the road.

The posties are gonna rip it up!

Eventually.

I didn't wait. I needed air and wind and water. Checked that we were going to an abandoned mine shaft near Grant and hit the frog 'n toad! Cool down.

We did a cornerman thing to Grant and then to the bitumen just north of Dargo....

where I went a little ballistic.

Dargo Store and Pub. Three bottles of gatorade for me and swan around waiting for a decision to be made. Do we keep going or stop here.
HUGE storm in Melbourne that afternoon and the weather was heading north. Dargo Dan offered the miner's cabin and the decision makers made the decision. Dargo for the evening and Blue Rag Trig in the morning.

More later. The young bloke needs the 'puter to do his maths homework.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
What a challenge those posties have got in front of them

Top report Ray

Looking forward to the next bit

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote