Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #586
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 436
I have a T-63 on my 21" front and it's been the toughest b**ch to spoon on or off the rim, can't imagine what a rear must be like.

Try resting the tire next to a warm (not HOT!) heat source, like an electric heater ... or maybe sleep with it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Gave up eventually and did it the regular way. That T-63 rear was a stubborn SOB.
EDIT: missed this part, glad you made it.
Lupin 3rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #587
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
I have a T-63 on my 21" front and it's been the toughest b**ch to spoon on or off the rim, can't imagine what a rear must be like.

Try resting the tire next to a warm (not HOT!) heat source, like an electric heater ... or maybe sleep with it ...

EDIT: missed this part, glad you made it.
Thanks Lupin.

I placed the tire on top of the floor heat register in the house for 90 minutes or so to warm it. An hour or 2 in the sunshine seems to be the best way, but we aren't having much of that here yet.

We put a T-63 rear on Wifey's Super Sherpa last year, and it was difficult too. Her T-63 front wasn't nearly too bad

On my bike, I have run MT-21 fronts the last 2 changes, and they are easier to mount.

I really wanted the zip tie method to work. I suspect I needed to cinch the ties tighter. Will do more research before the next attempt.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #588
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I'm working on changing my tires for the first time this weekend...well, second time total, first time working with a tubed tire. Of course, after spending all day yesterday fighting it, I find this thread and see things that I've been doing wrong.

I'm changing out the stock Battle Wings on my 800 XC and putting on Full Bores. Just been working with the rear so far, but holy hell, it's been an effort so far--these tires are stiff! Took way longer than expected to get the old rear off, and then WAY more effort than expected to get the new one on. (In hindsight, I realize we weren't doing a good job of keeping the opposite bead in the dish.) Eventually though, we got the tire on the rim, and right as we were going to try inflating it, I noticed I'd pinched the tube under the bead. Not wanting to deal with it anymore for the evening, I set it aside for today.

Hopefully things go better today, but I'm wondering, is the tube compromised now that it's been pinched, or is it OK to pull it off and start over since I never tried airing it up?
some call me...tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #589
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,714
Put some air in and see if you pinched a hole in it, if no leaks why not use it.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #590
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
First try and a problem

O.K. this may not be the correct place for this question but I will try anyway.

I am not ready to try swapping out the tires on my V-Strom at home yet, but I did remove/re-install my rear wheel after having someone else (Cycle Gear) actually put on the new tire.

Here's the problem. When I put the new tire on I flipped the axle end-to-end as recommended by a lot of V-Strom'ers, which worked my better. The problem is that, when I installed the axle/wheel I had to loosen the chain adjustment bolts on both sides just to get the axle in. And even after loosening it about 1 full turn, the chain is tight. Like much tighter than it was before I started.

This make no sense at all to me. Why would the adjustment change when replacing a tire? Any chance I totally screwed the pooch on this?

Thanks in advance.

Kevan "Wretch with a wrench" Garrett
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #591
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post

I am not ready to try swapping out the tires on my V-Strom at home yet, but I did remove/re-install my rear wheel after having someone else (Cycle Gear) actually put on the new tire.

Here's the problem. When I put the new tire on I flipped the axle end-to-end as recommended by a lot of V-Strom'ers, which worked my better. The problem is that, when I installed the axle/wheel I had to loosen the chain adjustment bolts on both sides just to get the axle in. And even after loosening it about 1 full turn, the chain is tight. Like much tighter than it was before I started.

This make no sense at all to me. Why would the adjustment change when replacing a tire? Any chance I totally screwed the pooch on this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you put the axle back to the original position and seen if the chain adjusts ok?

Reason I ask is a buddy adjusted his chain too tight with a heavy load: he blew out the clutch and shifter on a pothole. Ugly mess ----
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #592
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post

Thanks in advance.

Go back over your work. Make certain that the chain is riding properly on the primary and secondary sprockets. Make certain that the chain adjusters are properly seated on the ends of the swingarm. Spin the back wheel and make certain that the chain is tracking in a straight line on the sprockets. Make certain the the axle is properly engaged with the adjusters. If all else fails, change the axle back to the original configuration.
I put over 33,000 miles on my Wee Strom and never saw any need to change the axle installation.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #593
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post

Eventually though, we got the tire on the rim, and right as we were going to try inflating it, I noticed I'd pinched the tube under the bead. Not wanting to deal with it anymore for the evening, I set it aside for today.

Hopefully things go better today, but I'm wondering, is the tube compromised now that it's been pinched, or is it OK to pull it off and start over since I never tried airing it up?
Remount the tire with a new tube. Even if the tube does not leak now, it may very well blow out down the road in a week or two. I hope you like your Full Bore tires, I've put a set on an XRR and they are wearing like iron, perfect for dual sportin.in Mexico.

Kiko screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 04:19 PM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #594
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Great tips here...filed away for future use.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #595
ADVOly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Another successfull change thanks to Neduro

Just changed my, I believe, sixth or seventh tire. I was having an unbelievable amount of trouble, which is unusual, but reviewed Ned's instructions, kept the bead in the dish ( I had forgotten that point) and had it on lickety-split!
A thousand thanks to Neduro!
ADVOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #596
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,167
yeah, that bead in the dish thing is the main point.... i just bought one of those tusk bead buddy's from RATV, and those are the shizzit... getting another one as i type this.... w/2 of them, set at 90 degrees apart, the bead is pretty much in the dish everywhere you're working... real easy!....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #597
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 478
Just did my first tire change ever :)

It took me ~5 hours including drilling holes an installing rimlocks, however, I finished the operation without pinching any tubes, that'll count as a success for me.

Breaking the bead of the rear K60 Scout (140/80-18) was a rather tricky thing, in the end we managed to do it...with three people and a crossbar.

I installed Mt21's by the way.

Thanks for the tutorial, sure helped me along the way
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #598
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,351
Great thread

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk HD
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #599
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Changing tires myself for the first time.

Good instructions and swapped the front without much trouble.

I have run into a completely different problem on the rear.

I am working on a 2000 LC4 640.

I can't get the axle out. I removed the nut and adjuster on the right side. Loosened the adjuster on the left. with much effort and penetrating oil I have it out about 2 inches and am having a hell of a time getting the axle to move further to allow the wheel to be removed.

Am I missing something here? Is there something else to remove to get the axle to slide out?

I got it soaking with more penetrating oil and and will fight with it again later.

Any advice would be appreciated. Hopefully getting the tire on the rear won't be as hard as getting the axle out.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #600
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm1219 View Post
Changing tires myself for the first time.

Good instructions and swapped the front without much trouble.

I have run into a completely different problem on the rear.

I am working on a 2000 LC4 640.

I can't get the axle out. I removed the nut and adjuster on the right side. Loosened the adjuster on the left. with much effort and penetrating oil I have it out about 2 inches and am having a hell of a time getting the axle to move further to allow the wheel to be removed.

Am I missing something here? Is there something else to remove to get the axle to slide out?

I got it soaking with more penetrating oil and and will fight with it again later.

Any advice would be appreciated. Hopefully getting the tire on the rear won't be as hard as getting the axle out.

Thanks
Grease the axle that's showing and then tap it back in and rotate the axle . Grease the threaded side and try removing it again while rotating. Some people forget to grease the axles which makes it hard to remove them with time.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote