Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #91
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
once we found large air compresser.
No, actually, the sound when it finally seated itself was more like POP!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #92
Gilgamesh
God-King of Ur

Oddometer: 780
Finally decided to roll up my sleeves and put your excellent instructions to the test on my KLR.

Previous owner had put on Maxxis 6006 - they worked well, as long as I remembered to deflate for offroad and re-flate for on road. If I ran on the street below 15 psi the felt waffely in the corners and if I ran them above 20 offroad the felt squirrely on gravel. They were also a little noisy at speed and I wanted something a little more street oriented for highway riding.

I bought MEFO 99's but they sat in the garage for 2 months until today :)

First - let me tell you - if you have Maxxis Tires - PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO BREAK THE BEAD at least on the rear one!

I weigh about 270 - I stood on them - I put the kickstand on em - I pounded them with a BFH - I even tried driving over the rubber part with the wifes car - and then the truck - not even a hint of popping that bead off...

It finally took a ramp properly positioned and my 3/4 ton Dodge Ram - I had to place the ramp - then drive up onto it - twice - for each side!! Holy crap those sidewalls were stiff!

FINALLY - We have bead break!

After that it was gravy - after spending over 2 hours just trying to break the bead on the old rear tire - it took less than 35 mins to do all the rest - mounting new rear, remove & replaceing the front - (popped the bead on the front just by standing on it) and viola - all done....

I like the new look:

Tnaks for the excellent step by step - I wuldna done it with out you :P
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #93
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Found by searching for a recommeded tire from these fellas:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=98839&page=5
I thought they might have a good opinion.

They recommeded the Mefo Stone Master, this list of tire for the Honda Transalp came up:
http://www.transalp.de/technik/reife...sicht.php#mefo

I always thought it would be great to have a dedicated tire thread, but I already have one hobby () and hoped someone else might bite.

Jerome has a nice table on his site (reposted around) for the LC4, and with combined knowledge and resources such as the one above might lead to a very useful thread.

Anyone steppin' up?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #94
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by timf
That chain adjuster isn't on there right
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #95
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Found by searching for a recommeded tire from these fellas:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=98839&page=5
I thought they might have a good opinion.

They recommeded the Mefo Stone Master, this list of tire for the Honda Transalp came up:
http://www.transalp.de/technik/reife...sicht.php#mefo

I always thought it would be great to have a dedicated tire thread, but I already have one hobby () and hoped someone else might bite.

Jerome has a nice table on his site (reposted around) for the LC4, and with combined knowledge and resources such as the one above might lead to a very useful thread.

Anyone steppin' up?
Redirect from an inapropriate thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Both of ya'll shadddup and bow to the Tera-Flex

We all know that it is the best no matter the metrics...

Now back to exhausts...
How does it compare to the Mefo StoneMaster?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #96
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Thanks for this thread Neduro. I did the rear tonight on my 640. Took me about 4 hours. Kicked my ass. Didn't even think I'd be able to finish it, but I learned alot doing it and will do the front last night. Probably shouldn't have started it so late in the day in the winter. Was wishing for some of that Cali sunshine to heat it up. I'm beat and and I can honestly say that I've had my ass kicked by the Baja. The Michelin Baja.

Errin
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #97
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Errin, Can't wait to hear more about this. It sounds like a REAL adventure...

CONGRATS on your Baja adventure!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #98
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
So I attempted the front today. I was able to change it within an hour, however when I filled it with air i realized that I punctured the tube so I had to do it over. Then I get it fixed and take both the front and the rear to the gas station because I couldn't get my sparrow to fit. Something's wrong with the cap. So while at the gas station I realize that not only is the bead not seated properly on the front, I had punctured the tube in the rear the night before. Damn. So end up reseating the front, and then redoing the rear. Only now, with all this experience I get them both done in an hour. So then I go back to gas station and pump them up and you guessed it. IT WORKED!!!! Go home and mount them up and rode it down the street. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the air is still in there in the morning.

So I ended up doing 1 tire change, 2 tube changes and reseating a tire today. Plus I used up my spare tubes so I'll have to get new ones tomorrow. Yesterday I only did one rear in 4 hours, so I feel much better about doing it now. Changing the tire yesterday kicked my ass becausing I was using too much force, but tonight I got the hang of it and it wasn't that difficult. The proper technique helps out tremendously. That reminds me, I need an air compressor.

Many thanks for this thread Ned.

Errin
Old 02-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #99
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
Quite simply the "Citizen Kane" of tire changing threads.....

.....thanks Ned!

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #100
eastCOeric
Adventure Cruiser

Oddometer: 123
HI Ned, I know I'm way late on this, but here's a Q:
In the pic where you're starting to put on the new tire:

...I see the "balancing dot" near the top of the pic. Isn't that supposed to be aligned with the valve stem? Would it be better to align it with the rimlock? Or do you just not worry too much about balance?

I managed to change the tube on my son's CRF50, pinching a tube in the process, but the second time went better! I've never changed a tire on a full-size motorcycle, but having read your post, I'll give it a try when it's time for new tires on my bike... Thanks!
eastCOeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #101
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastCOeric
Isn't that supposed to be aligned with the valve stem? Would it be better to align it with the rimlock? Or do you just not worry too much about balance?
On a wheel with a single, 8-10 oz rimlock, I think any balance issues introduced by the tire are probably noise level compared to that introduced by the rimlock. I've never worried about dirt bike tire balance- I do run two rim locks on my XR wheel, to prevent the tire spinning on the rim, which one would think would improve balance, but I sure couldn't tell a difference.

On a single cylinder dirtbike ridden off-road, I really don't think balance is a serious issue. But some might argue with me and more power to them.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #102
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,068
I want to thank Neduro for this thread too. Up until I read it, I had hever successfully spooned a tube tire flat....even back in the day . But after reading the thread, I went out and pulled some studded knobs off a dirtbike and refitted standard knobs. I huffed and puffed and holed the first tube , but practiced a couple times with the 2nd tube successfully. I was stoked...

With my confidence up, I went at my KTM950. After solving the bead breaking, I found the tire removal easier yet because of the wide center well in that big rim . The main lesson for me in Neduro's lecture was to be patient enough to make sure the loose bead was properly in the well. He said it should come off/on without much grunt, so when I felt I was using too much force, I just stopped and slipped a little more loose bead in the well with a lever or my heel. Sure enough, she went right on with little force or chance of pinching the tube. I practiced some more by breaking the bead and pulling one side off and removing the tube as if I was doing a road side repair. It wasn't ISDE speed, but wasn't that long either. I feel now I can fix a flat on the trail and be on my way within an hour. Thanks for that. -P
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #103
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Really glad to hear this has helped some folks. Right on!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #104
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
I'm getting ready to take a run at this and would like to do it the Neduro way with a minimum of fancy equipment. I lucked out and got the "chore" of storing my dad's brand new compressor indefinitely. Are there any tire irons that stand head and sholders above the rest that I should get? What about the bead breaker? one of those fancy clampy looking things or a Big C-Clamp? I have those.. Are those rim stops that hold the bead from jumping off the rim any good? Here's one: http://kientech.com/beadstop.htm

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 02-28-2006 at 07:18 PM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #105
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
finished product.....

and the second time mounting the rear was even easier.....

(don't ask)

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote