Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
GS wheel alignment tied to front tire cupping?

I did a Google site search and didn't find much about front/rear wheel alignment being an issue on the 1200GS. I'm going into my third front tire and get cupping at ~12,000 miles. Based on input I've gotten from other threads, this seems to be a typical life for this tire. Someone recently told me that this cupping could be caused by an alignment problem between my front and rear tires. Does this make any sense? Do motorcycles need alignment??
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
What tire? I've been using Anakee 2's and at 11k miles for the front I had worn it out enough and it had its typically scalloping so I considered it done.

As far as alignment, on chain drive bikes you do need to check chain alignment to make sure it is good, but many people also will check that the front wheel is in the same plane when going straight too. I've never heard of it for a shaft drive though, no do I know how to adjust it if it is off.

I'd be happy with 12k miles on a front tire though.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
yea....

I agree. I just got back from my local BMW dealership (the excellent BMW of Southeast Michigan) and the service guys gave me a funny look when I asked about an "alignment". There is no such thing on a GS. I suspect it is like having a muffler bearing replacement on a normal car.

So - I'll be happy with a new Anakee 2 on the front end and hope for another 12,000 miles of life.

We can close this thread down.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
The most common cause of cupping up front is to much front brake relative to rear brake. Dave
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 298
I'd be satisfied with 12k out of the front tire on any of my bikes. I think you're fine.
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 871
John, I had bad problems with cupping on the fron tire of my '08 Adventure, was worse with softer compound tires, I was also told that poor wheel/tire balancing can have a negative effect, I never got more than 5K miles out of my tires, (I use the front brake almost exclusively, but they are linked).

On my '10 Adventure I have been running Anakee 2's exclusively and I get 10-13K on them with no sign of cupping, not sure why, but I am not complaining!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,693
Mine cup too. It may be particular to the telalever front suspension as it seems to be a well known characteristic. My Anakee 2 have held up well for both on and off and I think I am close to 6k on them with only a slight cup starting. They'll be worn out in another 3-4k which will be about the time I need new rubber. Could try different air pressures
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
the tire pressure for the k1600gtl is 42 pounds. I would try higher pressure on the front tire. I use 40 lbs on my R1200gs.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 345
Most of the time cupping on a vehicle is caused by poor/worn out shocks. Dont really know if the same is true for scoots or not.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,915
I have noticed slightly less cupping on my GS if I run higher pressures. With four or five different front tires it has always cupped in the end although the Michelin Pilot Road seemed to go quite a few more miles before it became annoying. I think it has to do with the weight of the bike and the telelever encouraging harder braking than on many others. Smaller tread blocks seem to be more prone also.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
A worthwhile thread?

I always ran 36 front and 42 rear on my R1150R. Ditto the R1150GSA in road trim.

On the Roadster, ANY Dunlop tyre 'cupped' at the front end. Rears just wore out quickly. Pirelli Diablo, Avon Azaro and PR2 were fine and wore down the way they should. The bike just didn't like Dunlop tyres.

Change brands, or accept that SOME brands of tyres on your bike will 'cup' as they wear. Others will be ok.

By comparison, my R1150GSA loved its Dunlop D91 Trailmax tyres. They wore down just fine, and the fronts were good for over 15,000 and the rears a few thousand less. I was getting three rears to two fronts.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I did a Google site search and didn't find much about front/rear wheel alignment being an issue on the 1200GS. I'm going into my third front tire and get cupping at ~12,000 miles. Based on input I've gotten from other threads, this seems to be a typical life for this tire. Someone recently told me that this cupping could be caused by an alignment problem between my front and rear tires. Does this make any sense? Do motorcycles need alignment??
Only motorcycle with chain drive have rear wheel adjustment, not the case for your 1200GS.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
The most common cause of cupping up front is to much front brake relative to rear brake. Dave
Because of the increased pressure on the back section of the tread block is taking the brunt of the force of braking. This causes increased wear in a concentrated area, aka cupping/scalloping. Anytime a tread block thins down, as such on the Anakee, you concentrate this force even more.

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
I have always had this issue and have seen it on other non-bmw bikes as well. I run 38 PSI in the front as opposed to 35-36 and I do notice it has been less pronounced than my last Anakee 2 front. I rarely use rear brake except for offroad use and just completed a full track day on the Anakee 2's. Granted I did run lower pressures at the track.

I would say that if you are getting over 10,000 miles on your Anakee 2, you are doing ok.

D
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
RickyBilly
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 151
Cupping

You need a new shock. The wheel is skipping, however microscopically, when you brake, this causes the cupping.