User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
lockwood111 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Sargent seat on lc GSA

Anyone fitted the new Sargent seat to the 2014 GSA yet? If so. how is it? Do you still slide forward. is it much lower than the standard GSA seat?
thanks
John
lockwood111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Taunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Mine is on order. I stopped by their facility on Tuesday to order. 2-3 week delivery time. Very nice folks there. I will let you know when I pick it up how it is.
Taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwood111 View Post
Anyone fitted the new Sargent seat to the 2014 GSA yet? If so. how is it? Do you still slide forward. is it much lower than the standard GSA seat?
thanks
John
Since the Sargent is built to the GS spec, their seat should be .8 lower than the GSA. They have no plans to build a taller seat. If you not willing to give up that .8" of real estate, then the Sargent is out.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
chrisjk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
Since the Sargent is built to the GS spec, their seat should be .8” lower than the GSA. They have no plans to build a taller seat. If you not willing to give up that .8" of real estate, then the Sargent is out.

This page on their site suggests they are exactly the same height (OEM vs. standard Sargent) http://goo.gl/PdbcbI
Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
la-motor
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjk View Post
This page on their site suggests they are exactly the same height (OEM vs. standard Sargent) http://goo.gl/PdbcbI
Seat height on the GSA is higher than the GS

GS Seat height, unladen weight 33.5/34.3 inches (adjustable seat height) Standard; variable seat heights available between 31.1 inches and 35.0 inches (available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)

GSA Seat height, unladen weight 35.0 / 35.8 in (890 / 910 mm)
la-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
Since the Sargent is built to the GS spec, their seat should be .8” lower than the GSA. They have no plans to build a taller seat. If you not willing to give up that .8" of real estate, then the Sargent is out.
If you think it through you realize that the thing that makes the Adventure seat height taller is the suspension not the seat. The seats for the standard and adventure are the same (save colored covers). Therefore the Sargent on the Adventure will be the same height as the OEM Adventure seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.

rideLD screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 07:19 AM
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
That is actually not true. I have swapped the seats as I own both bikes. The GS seat sits lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
If you think it through you realize that the thing that makes the Adventure seat height taller is the suspension not the seat. The seats for the standard and adventure are the same (save colored covers). Therefore the Sargent on the Adventure will be the same height as the OEM Adventure seat.
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60HzShuffle View Post
That is actually not true. I have swapped the seats as I own both bikes. The GS seat sits lower.
I stand corrected. After reading the specs it would seem that 0.8 inch difference is in the suspension. 0.7 inch is in the seat itself.

With the slight extra width of the Sargent the reach to the ground or the pegs should still end up being about the same.

If not, good thing they have a 30 day comfort guaranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD View Post
I stand corrected. After reading the specs it would seem that 0.8 inch difference is in the suspension. 0.7 inch is in the seat itself
Ok, so it's a .7 difference seat height and not the .8 I stated. I'm still not willing to give up that .7 of needed leg room. I like the Sargent seat and have owned two of them so this was a disappointment. Seat Concepts plans on building their seat to GSA spec and it will be out in a month or so. I'll be waiting patiently!

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,387
I ordered the low seat from Sargent. I have a 30-31" inseam and cannot flat foot the bike with the stock seat. I have a Sargent on my Duc and am quite happy with it.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
mountainguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
I ordered the low seat from Sargent. I have a 30-31" inseam and cannot flat foot the bike with the stock seat. I have a Sargent on my Duc and am quite happy with it.
Please let us know how the low seat works out for you. I needed the low seat, based on a 30" inseam. But I tried the BMW low seat and it was terrible for me. The foam was very thin and the seat was hard. So I ordered the standard Sargent seat, even though it will be a little tall for me. I will have 30 days to trade it in for a low seat if good reports start coming in on the low seat.
mountainguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Grimreaper7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I am thinking of ordering a Sargent seat for my 1200 GSAW to pick up while I'm on holiday in the US later this year (at a $220 saving over the price in the UK).
The pics on their website seem to show only seats with piping (welts?) on them, can anyone show me one of their seats without the welt (the option is with Topstitch as far as I can see)
I think I'd prefer a seat without any edges that might cause rubbing or that I might catch something on.
Also an estimated delivery time so I can order ahead.
Grimreaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper7 View Post
I am thinking of ordering a Sargent seat for my 1200 GSAW to pick up while I'm on holiday in the US later this year (at a $220 saving over the price in the UK).
The pics on their website seem to show only seats with piping (welts?) on them, can anyone show me one of their seats without the welt (the option is with Topstitch as far as I can see)
I think I'd prefer a seat without any edges that might cause rubbing or that I might catch something on.
Also an estimated delivery time so I can order ahead.
Here's what the one on my Duc looks like. Seams are not a problem. I ordered the same seat for my GS/A.

Lead time?

From the bottom of my confirmation reply ordered on 7/7.
"Your order is being processed. Your credit card will not be charged until your order is ready to ship. World Sport Performance Seat orders are typically on a 2-week fulfillment time. Please confirm your order details to ensure accuracy. Thank you!"
So a fortnight in your language.
I expect mine in the coming week.
You probably just need to email of call them directly if you need to firm up a deliver by date.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
Grimreaper7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks, just one thing, that seat looks like it has the black piping between the top and side pieces, I was expecting a flat seam?? maybe like the one between the front and middle top pieces?
Grimreaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaper7 View Post
Thanks, just one thing, that seat looks like it has the black piping between the top and side pieces, I was expecting a flat seam?? maybe like the one between the front and middle top pieces?
No it's not flat but not sevier either. Not an issue for me. I had a Sargent on a 11100 RT I ran a lot of miles on years back. Only issues I've had is my bum gets sore the first couple of days on long rides early in riding season, then it gets in long distance shape.