Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #151
OneBall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
You've done a fantastic job there Newfie, it's always a good feeling when you start up something you've fixed and it works. I've just got one and am well chuffed but winter's appeared now and am just looking forward to next year.
OneBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #152
turleymarshall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider
2001 R1150GS 27000kms

Purchased a 2001 R1150GS from A1 Automotive for next to nothing. This was and still is my dream bike...here's my chance to own one...wife not happy!

They delivered the bike to my house a few days later (around first of Nov 2009) exactly as seen in the pics...what a state.

My theory was to pick up the necessary parts from ebay and bike dealers over the next few years and rebuild the bike. Did some searching on the web and came across another car parts place similiar to A1 Automotive call A Lot of Auto Parts in Saint John NB. They had a 2005 that they were parting out. WOW the stars are lining up for me now I thought....

Through many emails and phone call with Ray K. at A Lotof Auto Parts, he aggreed to remove all compents for me at an extremely awesome price. Parts arrived 3 days later via Day and R. Began assembly that day and night, next day and night....you get the picture...

After a week and a half I managed to get the bike started and this past Saturday took it for it's first road test, put on 12kms....

Totally wicked bike. Not dissappointed at all. This is the third basket case motorcycle I am after working on in the last 15 years. It is a great feeeling to rebuild something from parts, educate yourself on the bike, and finally get it running and safe for the road.

I sold my DR750 to help pay for my project.

Anyway, after watching the long way round this weekend, it reinforced my appreciation of the quality and ruggedness of the GS series BMW.

Here are a few pics of the parts bike that I had got a pile of parts from....

Once I received the parts, I started assembly. Installed handle bars, connected the hydraulic clutch to slave on rear transmission. Connected throttle and choke cables. Installed drive shaft into swing arm (pain in the donkey ( . ) Installed swingarm onto rear of bike ( another pain in the ^$$). Used parts and original parts to build instrument cluster, front fender and headlight assembly, some plastic welding required. Installed exhaust system.
Biggest trouble I had was the electrical connectors from the handle bar components. My bike is a 2001, parts from 2005 adventurer, connectors were a little different and wire color codes a little different. Needed to use my electronics skills to rewire...works excellent. Once new seat assembly and gas tank install with a used battery, fresh gas and a boost..she started up right away...

Took the Beemer last week of November 2009 today for a 50km ride to Marble Montain and back using all service roads from Pasadena, no hwy! Bike is working perfectly, after resetting the ABS yesterday, ABS is now working as expected, handle bar warmers...I don't know I managed without them all these years...excellent option.

At TIm's in Steady Brook (Best Coffee on the island!) I ran into a few fellow riders who know of the project I was taking on...overwhelmed I have it on the road so soon, and how great a condition the bike is in.

Hopefully a few more rides before the snow starts flying...

Final Product from hours in the shed drinking beer and telling lies with some riding buddies....

Dirty after an excellent ride...can't wait for the summer to do the Trans Lab HWY....

Good work man! Seriously, badass.
turleymarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #153
treadneck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Here's my '00 1150GS
110K+ miles and running strong.
You just can't beat these bikes.

treadneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #154
Dirtmoover
Just a big boy

Oddometer: 87
Here is my little beauty

Old 12-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #155
tylerjwhite
Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer: 875
Laugh Just got mine

So I got this baby with 11,905 miles for 6500 and some stuff. Karma was looking out for me when I ran into this. I am in Utah and will ride with anyone in the area that wants to explore.

This is my first real ride. Sadly in Utah in December and on the one day it was clear enough to not kill myself on the ice.

Here is another ride up to Salt Lake City on Dec 12th 09 Unusually warm weather so I am taking advantage of it.

Family Youth Yoga and Future Farmers

tylerjwhite screwed with this post 12-16-2009 at 03:45 PM
tylerjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #156
roberts
GS'er

Oddometer: 428
Wow! What a surprise to see this. I am the original owner of your bike. (the 2001) I bought it at Lone Star BMW in Austin, TX. A few years later I sold it to someone who lives in New Jersey. He wrecked it in 2004 during a ride in Newfoundland, and left it up there. I double checked the license plate in the photos he sent me in '04 with the license plate in your photo. Yep, same bike! If you want more information on it just send me a PM or email. Heck, I even have a photo of it in the showroom.

[QUOTE=Newfie Rider][B]2001 R1150GS 27000kms

Purchased a 2001 R1150GS from A1 Automotive for next to nothing. This was and still is my dream bike...here's my chance to own one...wife not happy!

They delivered the bike to my house a few days later (around first of Nov 2009) exactly as seen in the pics...what a state.

[I
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #157
mike anderson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250

Smyrna,de
mike anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #158
mike anderson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250

Smyrna,de
mike anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #159
safarimobile
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Still a baby at 13,700 miles, love this bike!
Attached Images

safarimobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #160
GlobeTrotter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Thumb My 2004 1150 Adv

Purchased new in 09/03 I had to leverage my 401K to swing it. I've spent the last 6 years and 36K miles enjoying it. I could never sell this bike... it represents so many great memories with so many more to come

http://terrafirma.smugmug.com/Charlie

"It's always been about motorbikes, always has been... always will be" - Ewan McGregor - Long Way Down
GlobeTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #161
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
Please post a pic of the bike with the 1200 GSA luggage when you can
Just got the frames fitted.... I'll post a pic tomorrow
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #162
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246
Old 12-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #163
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
I was wondering if this thread ever existed. Searched but never found anything until now. I love looking at others GS' and admiring their mods, the scenery, the big picture. The GS in it's element. I always wanted a GS too especially a GSA and the minute I saw this one I knew it was mine. Wife gave the thumbs up and before I knew it I was on a plane to Richmond Virginia. My 3rd BMW, the 65th bike, and it may very well be my last. Just did the rocker end play adjustments, valves, plugs and oil. Just turned over 130K miles and I think it needs a couple doo dads and some more riding so, I'll keep it.

This is somewhere in the middle of West Virginia on the way back home.

This is in Hell, Mi.

I love my BMW1150GSAA

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #164
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589

Ica, Peru
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #165
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589