Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
QMan OP
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
How to protect KTM LC4 Adv without tank bars?

Hi,

I've seen someone use black stuff on the bike (dunno the thread, but I know he cashed into a tree...) What was the stuff he used?
I also saw someone else use thick transparant sticker-like stuff to protect the fuel tank.
I'm looking for an option WITHOUT having to use tank bars. I'm willing to add a bigger engine bash plate tho (with toolbox etc) but what to do with the tank? Is the fuel cock protected then?

I've seen dakar bikes where they use printed stickers, and if you pull the stickers of you can't see one scratch on the bike (the stickers looked like a bomb had dropped on the bike tho lol)

Any ideas?

BTW, I got an Akrapovic silencer, new jetting, airbox mod and the myuth is resolved.. the KTM now has approximatly 10 hp more at the back wheel!!!!!

Q
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
You can buy 16Mil vinyl 12X18" sheets in a variety of colors and clear and fake carbon fiber. They are used as number plate backings and decal covers. You can also get it as a "grip" surface, for like the side covers and back of the tank.
It would protect the paint from brush scratches and maybe little tip-overs, but if you tag a rock or have a big get-off, your still gona' get some damage.

Creep
Old 08-24-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,166
Spray-on or roll-on truck bed liners. Rhino and Line-X are the two most popular....
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
gozell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Have a look at this, its that transparant 5mm thick trimline stuff used on cars for stone etc protection

gozell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
I've seen someone use black stuff on the bike (dunno the thread, but I know he cashed into a tree...) What was the stuff he used?
Hi QMan, it's called bed liner here in the States and folks have it sprayed on the interior of their truck beds to protect them from scratches, corrosion, etc. I haven't crashed into any trees, but I did have the stuff sprayed onto my Adventure R's tank and mask.

Here's what it looks like up close, sorta textured and they're able to vary the thickness where required. For example, I have it thicker at contact points (with the ground) and leading edges that take on thorny bushes & such...

And here's the overall pattern I chose to have sprayed on. I did it this way to leave contact points with my knees exposed as smooth paint...

Anyway, it holds up very well, is patchable and looks OK in person. I'm happy with it.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
Steelhead
Dirt Good/Street Bad

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
You can buy 16Mil vinyl 12X18" sheets in a variety of colors and clear and fake carbon fiber. They are used as number plate backings and decal covers. You can also get it as a "grip" surface, for like the side covers and back of the tank.
It would protect the paint from brush scratches and maybe little tip-overs, but if you tag a rock or have a big get-off, your still gona' get some damage.

Creep
Where can one buy such things? Are your talking about standard number plate backing?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Where can one buy such things? Are your talking about standard number plate backing?
Just as an example, they are listed in the '04 Tucker Rocky catalog on page 380... as manufactured by "Factory Effex".
The part numbers run consecutively from 137810 to 137816 for colors and clear, in 16 mil, at a retail price of $14.95 for a package of (3) 12"X18" sheets.

Creep
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,515
Tank Guards

TT offers this for the 950. Mabe someone else offers it for the 640.

Carbon Tank Guards KTM LC8

Part Number: 051-0550

$195.20

Old 08-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Most of the mail order places will sell some carbon fiber stick sheets - I recall getting mine at Dennis Kirk. I put some on the bottom of my AdvR tank mostly to hide the heavy scuffing that the previous owner managed to inflict on the poor thing. It sticks well and holds up nicely. If you want it to look decent, you do want to take your time cutting it to shape (I used cardboard templates) and trying to get it to lay down smooth.

For a short term trip fix, I've used both duct tape and shelf paper to protect areas likely to get scuffed. Peel it away afterwards.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Most of the mail order places will sell some carbon fiber stick sheets - I recall getting mine at Dennis Kirk. I put some on the bottom of my AdvR tank mostly to hide the heavy scuffing that the previous owner managed to inflict on the poor thing. It sticks well and holds up nicely. If you want it to look decent, you do want to take your time cutting it to shape (I used cardboard templates) and trying to get it to lay down smooth.

For a short term trip fix, I've used both duct tape and shelf paper to protect areas likely to get scuffed. Peel it away afterwards.

- Mark
I'm with Mark. I used some of the fake carbon sheet to cover a street get-off boo boo on the right side bottom.
Re: Making templates... because of the compound curves, I lay down layers of 1 inch blue, low stick masking tape over the area to be covered, draw out the pattern on the tape, pull it, cut it, and use it to make the vinyl pattern.
Wet down the surface to be applied to with a little soapy water, apply the vinyl , adjust to taste and use a damp cloth to squegee out the bubbles and soapy water.

More than you wanted to know... huh
Old 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #11
Steelhead
Dirt Good/Street Bad

Oddometer: 428
More than you wanted to know... huh [/QUOTE]

No, no. no this is good stuff. Hadn't thought about the blue masking tape trick as a template.
The duct tape idea is another good one giving extra protection for those times when you just know you're in for a face plant.

Arch,
I love that bedliner on your tank. I may just end up doing that on my clear IMS tank. Mask off an area to allow you the benefit of eyeballing the fuel level and I would think that stuff would stick? I don't really expect stickers to stay on as the clear tanks are famous for fumes seeping through allowing air bubbles to get trapped behind the stick ons. Anyone know if they can customize colors to match KTM orange?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:37 PM   #12
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
I use velcro to keep from getting dings in sensitive places. The hard hooks seem to protect from drops since the velcro tape is somewhat stiffer. I get 2" wide velcro from Walmart sewing center. The black seems to match up to my KTM black tank pretty good. I also use it to hold my GPS on my sport bike tripple clamps on trips.

ram1000 screwed with this post 08-25-2004 at 08:00 PM
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
TT offers this for the 950. Mabe someone else offers it for the 640.
A few companies make carbon and carbon/kevlar tank guards for the LC8... but no one makes them for the 640 Adventure... at least not for sale.
There was one guy that made his own... didn't use mold release so they were kinda permenent... they were a bit rough looking too.
Not the most saleable things I've seen... probably sturdy though.

A few months ago, there was another guy... in Europe, maybe Italy... can't remember. I searched for the thread, but no luck. Anyway, he made some absolutely freakin' beautiful ones... but never could get him enthusiastic to do more... bastard.

Can't blame anyone for not making them for sale... they probably sell maybe 1 LC4 to 10 LC8s Adventures these days, and none in the US... not cost effective.

Creep
Old 08-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #14
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Cool idea about the masking tape template Creeper. I recall seeing your bike and wondering how much trouble it took to get it to fit so nice - I understand now.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 AM   #15
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Anyone know if they can customize colors to match KTM orange?
I know Line-X does color matching. I have a blue Ford Ranger and they matched the bed liner color for that. Only a few $$ extra.

Line-X guarantees their stuff for life (as long as you own the vehicle). At least for the truck beds. Don't know if they'd do that for a gas tank. On a previous truck, I took it back a couple times to get gouges repaired. They don't care how or what caused it. If the liner is damaged, they fix it. No questions. Sweet.

Careful though on what you get. I think Line-X is 'rougher' than Rhino. The do-it-yourself kits are even smoother. Something too rough would end up acting like sandpaper on your gear / legs.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote