Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #16
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,262
Using bed-liner type material is clever, but I don't know ... the cure might be worse than the disease.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I love that bedliner on your tank. I may just end up doing that on my clear IMS tank. Mask off an area to allow you the benefit of eyeballing the fuel level and I would think that stuff would stick? I don't really expect stickers to stay on as the clear tanks are famous for fumes seeping through allowing air bubbles to get trapped behind the stick ons. Anyone know if they can customize colors to match KTM orange?
At least here locally, Line-X only does black. Rhino Linings does all sorts of colors, however. Good question on the thin plastic IMS tank, though. The vapors may very well cause a loss of adhesion, but I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:32 AM   #18
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Cool idea about the masking tape template Creeper. I recall seeing your bike and wondering how much trouble it took to get it to fit so nice - I understand now.

- Mark
Thanks Mark,
It was the only way I could think of to get a good pattern on a compound curve.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
The matt black mottled effect of the spray on bed liner does look very good in a "Judge Dredd" sort of way, when my tank eventually looks worse for wear then that is the way I will go.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #20
Steelhead
Dirt Good/Street Bad

Oddometer: 428
Careful though on what you get. I think Line-X is 'rougher' than Rhino. The do-it-yourself kits are even smoother. Something too rough would end up acting like sandpaper on your gear / legs.[/QUOTE]

Good point on the placement. That's what I like about what Arch did with his tank.

Arch,
I hope to get this done before I leave for a Trans America Trail ride in mid Sept. I should know after 2500-3000 miles if it will stick or not.
If not, oh well.

Always get great ideas in here from you guys, thanks.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #21
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,337
If you are a real cheap bastid, the rattle can truck bed liner does a remarkable job. When I was de-purpleing the plastic on my KTM RXC, most all of the purple plastic parts were roughed up with a 3M pad, cleaned, and sprayed with truck bed liner in my own garage. The coating has held up remarkably good. You can vary the surface texture from rough to smooth when you get the hang of it.

Good stuff for utilitarian bikes. I also use the same crap for the walkways on my locomotives. Very durable.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #22
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,470
I was in a shop that claimed to be a "plastic engineering" outfit. I had them make some bushings for some traction bars I made for my jeep. While I was in there I saw a skid plate for a Polaris XCR. It was very impressive, uberskidplate, if you will. I bet they could make tank protectors and motorcycle skid plates as well. I did ask them about their polysomethingorother and its qualities; they said at -40 you could smash it with a BIG hammer and it wouldn't break, it can be as heat resistant as your willing to pay and they can make things as thick as need be. Next time I am around another shop like this I will dig further into their abilities and price. These neat shops are around to serve the multibillion dollar oil industry I live in the middle of, don't know if they still custom make small stuff anymore.

I like the fact that the bedliner protects against scratches, but I would really appreciate having an extra 1/4" of armour for the gnarly get-offs.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
I was in a shop that claimed to be a "plastic engineering" outfit. I had them make some bushings for some traction bars I made for my jeep. While I was in there I saw a skid plate for a Polaris XCR. It was very impressive, uberskidplate, if you will. I bet they could make tank protectors and motorcycle skid plates as well. I did ask them about their polysomethingorother and its qualities; they said at -40 you could smash it with a BIG hammer and it wouldn't break, it can be as heat resistant as your willing to pay and they can make things as thick as need be. Next time I am around another shop like this I will dig further into their abilities and price. These neat shops are around to serve the multibillion dollar oil industry I live in the middle of, don't know if they still custom make small stuff anymore.

I like the fact that the bedliner protects against scratches, but I would really appreciate having an extra 1/4" of armour for the gnarly get-offs.
Very interesting DD... did you get any kind of estimate to make a quantity of pairs of tank guards? If their break even was low, maybe we could do a group purchase.

Creep
Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #24
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Precisely why I mentioned having the Line-X sprayed on thicker at potential contact points (with the ground). At least 1/4" thick where it counts.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:12 AM   #25
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,735
...actually it was a truck, then a tree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Hi,

I've seen someone use black stuff on the bike (dunno the thread, but I know he cashed into a tree...) What was the stuff he used?
Qdude... I was the tree guy. The thread is here. The reason for trying this stuff was my experience of getting hit by a truck.

You can see how the parts off the bike look when sprayed here

... or here:
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #26
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Very interesting DD... did you get any kind of estimate to make a quantity of pairs of tank guards? If their break even was low, maybe we could do a group purchase.

Creep
I was thinking this winter I would bring my bike to the engineering place to see what they could form. I also have an idea to get a bash plate done. The sommers one is way to pricey for this cheapo.

For the tank guards protecting the fuel pet cock is a must. Maybe some braces or something too. Any suggestions? A toolbox in the plate would be the reason for that particular upgrade. Again, any other suggestions?

Dirty
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #27
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
I was thinking this winter I would bring my bike to the engineering place to see what they could form. I also have an idea to get a bash plate done. The sommers one is way to pricey for this cheapo.

For the tank guards protecting the fuel pet cock is a must. Maybe some braces or something too. Any suggestions? A toolbox in the plate would be the reason for that particular upgrade. Again, any other suggestions?

Dirty
Keep us in the loop if you go in for a price estimate

I was thinking of something in industrial, impact resistant plastic that wraps around the bottom 1/3rd, side, front and back, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" thick. A 'U' shaped extension could be molded in to protect the petcock.

The benefit would be to take the brunt of a big hit that would otherwise crack the fuel tank. The Adventure tanks are thick and sturdy as hell and will take a tremendous amount of abuse... the kind that would destroy a metal tank, but, a little extra protection (especially if it's cheap) wouldn't hurt. It could be held on with a silicone adhesive for easy removal, repair and/or replacement.

I'm guessing that if the price is right ($100-150) there are at least 5 or 6 buyers minimum waiting for an item like this.

The engine guard?... show them a picture of a Sommer one... they'll get the idea
Old 08-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #28
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
A little protection....

Gotta agree with Creeper on this one (oh, the pain...the pain). Put me number two in line something that's fairly tough but isn't a frame mount (this bugger is portly enough already).

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #29
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
PETA. polyethyltetra acitate.
Recycled coke bottles. bullet proof molds well with heat. no subsequent distortion and takes glues, epoxys and paint well. Oh...And dirt cheap.
there are other options (plastics) but for a disposable item this would be my choice. hell you could put a new set on yearly and still be ahead.

80D to 90A (hard to med. Durometer-99 A' scale to 85 A' Scale ) urethane with a plastisizer but doesn't like non urethane base glues. is also a good choice but needs to be set in a mold. think chain sliders, chain guards, skateboard wheels etc. yeah that stuff. Cheap but more work.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:32 PM   #30
creeper
Still alive...

Dag... I had no idea you were a polymer guru