Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 PM   #46
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
It's a KTM piece. The older factory rally...

Couple more pics here.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 AM   #47
QMan OP
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Nice... is it still available?
I'd like it no my bike, coz the KTM Sommer thing is kinda small and too expensive for what it is.

Dosn't your toe-tip hit the back of that plate when you shift? It seems like there's not too much space
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:07 AM   #48
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Nice... is it still available? I'd like it no my bike, coz the KTM Sommer thing is kinda small and too expensive for what it is. Dosn't your toe-tip hit the back of that plate when you shift? It seems like there's not too much space
It must be the angle of the picture. There are no clearance/interference issues on either side. These rally guards/tanks were raced on factory bikes for years. No longer available from KTM, but they turn up for sale here and there from time to time. Search Thumpers for terms/words like KTM rally bash plate and lotsa related gab will turn up.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 AM   #49
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
I saw one for sale @ KTMTalk yesterday... $450. You may need to be logged in to see this:

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=72711

Usual disclaimer applies ... I am not the seller .. buy at your own risk.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #50
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Keep us in the loop if you go in for a price estimate

I was thinking of something in industrial, impact resistant plastic that wraps around the bottom 1/3rd, side, front and back, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" thick. A 'U' shaped extension could be molded in to protect the petcock.

The benefit would be to take the brunt of a big hit that would otherwise crack the fuel tank. The Adventure tanks are thick and sturdy as hell and will take a tremendous amount of abuse... the kind that would destroy a metal tank, but, a little extra protection (especially if it's cheap) wouldn't hurt. It could be held on with a silicone adhesive for easy removal, repair and/or replacement.

I'm guessing that if the price is right ($100-150) there are at least 5 or 6 buyers minimum waiting for an item like this.

The engine guard?... show them a picture of a Sommer one... they'll get the idea
I stopped by "Pacific Engineered Plastics" the other day. With me I had a bunch of photos of various bash plates and Hiroyuki's tank guards. They were very optimistic about being able to fab simular items. Now that I know they are willing to try this, my next step will be to bring them my gas tank to have the guards made. If all goes well (and doesn't make me to po') I will see what they can do with a bash plate. I also asked about chemical resistance. No problem. To me this means if they are really good they can make side panel gas tanks. I will be working out of town for awhile (back every 2nd weekend)so this will be a slow process.

Unfortunately, they were unable to give me a price for a one-of-costum-made guard. It seems I will have to take one for the team here.

Dirty
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #51
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds
I stopped by "Pacific Engineered Plastics" the other day. With me I had a bunch of photos of various bash plates and Hiroyuki's tank guards. They were very optimistic about being able to fab simular items. Now that I know they are willing to try this, my next step will be to bring them my gas tank to have the guards made. If all goes well (and doesn't make me to po') I will see what they can do with a bash plate. I also asked about chemical resistance. No problem. To me this means if they are really good they can make side panel gas tanks. I will be working out of town for awhile (back every 2nd weekend)so this will be a slow process.

Unfortunately, they were unable to give me a price for a one-of-costum-made guard. It seems I will have to take one for the team here.

Dirty
Ask them if you get a bunch of others to buy after they see yours if they will give you some kickbacks. They should. Custom plastics should be able to put some kevlar or other fiber in their plastics.

I vote for some type of CF/Kevlar guards like the Japanese ones. Maybe a little higher up on the RH side (dunno why its so low).

A feller in this forum named BigTwin made CF/Kevlar guards for the 950 for about the same price as the CF commercial ones; and people said they fit better and were much tougher.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #52
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Ask them if you get a bunch of others to buy after they see yours if they will give you some kickbacks. They should. Custom plastics should be able to put some kevlar or other fiber in their plastics.
I will run that past them. Don't know if CF/kevlar will be needed, this ain't the same plastic used for barbie dolls. I will ask though.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #53
inte
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
treeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Hi,

I've seen someone use black stuff on the bike (dunno the thread, but I know he cashed into a tree...) What was the stuff he used?
I'm the tree guy - I used Line-X, but most any spray-on truckbed liner will do the trick. You can either pull the parts & bring them to the shop, or buy the stuff from an auto-parts store. I know Trak Auto sells the same type of material you can paint/spray on yourself. Adds a bit of weight, but it's seriously bulletproof.

This is the tree crash thread - you can see how the stuff held up... (brown stain from the bark, but no scratches!!)

It should be known though that these tanks are seriously TOUGH! I left a good size dent in the Nissan's bumper & the only damage to the bike was cosmetic. The paint was chipped & that's about it.

It was this ride where I got hit by a Nissan that made me want to get the stuff. Nothing happened to the tank/faring when I hit the tree 'cuz I already had the stuff on there at that point (the headlight was another story...)

Pics of the parts...

Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #54
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
That looks very very cool, in a Mad Max sort of way.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #55
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
That looks very very cool, in a Mad Max sort of way.
here is my variation on Inte's (and some other's) theme...

Working very well to date.

M
Old 01-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #56
quadzillabill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I'd rather just have metal bars like they make for the 950 than deface everthing with all that stuff. Doesn't anyone make crash bars for the 640 Adventure?
quadzillabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #57
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzillabill
I'd rather just have metal bars like they make for the 950 than deface everthing with all that stuff. Doesn't anyone make crash bars for the 640 Adventure?
yes but they were recalled. Hepco Becker... bummer eh?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #58
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE

M
As yes the old theme within a theme trick! Thats a pretty useful stand you've got there - what's the brand?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 AM   #59
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE

M
Lookin' good, ese!

Have you described your airbox cover cover elsewhere? If I ever downgrade to new style side covers, I would like to do them in orange. Material?

I think your bikes look good all fuzzy. If a domestic match for my sexy blurple paint proves impossible to find, I may go that route. For now, wannabe Archie style covers the scrapes.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:57 AM   #60
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
As yes the old theme within a theme trick! Thats a pretty useful stand you've got there - what's the brand?
Just a standard motorcycle lift here in the states. I think this one came from Lowes (home improvement store) and is a Husky. I do not think it differs much at all from any of the others lke it...

Hope that helps.

M