Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #76
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
It's dirtyBOY. The PMS thing was a joke, man! Or is the joke on me?

It's all good.

Now if only it would warm up a little so I can go wash the mud off my bike and make it all pretty before I get it dirty again...
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #77
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
Oh geez, I guess I was having fun at other people's expense. My apologies. Honestly, I was just trying to offer an alternative viewpoint. Maybe I'm PMSing?

I get off on modding my bike as much as the next guy. You should see the plywood rack I put on my bike last summer, it was a beaut ! Nobody will blame me for having good taste, just ask dOgwatEr

I'll shut up and go back to the corner now. Carry on.
Its all good

I thought it was a legit point of discussion

M
Old 01-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #78
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Its all good

I thought it was a legit point of discussion

M
I think it was the "tone", insinuating anyone considering tank protection was a pretty-boy on his perfect bike... and the fact that it seemed he hadn't bothered to read up and thought we wanted to spray line-x on perfect tanks...

the cage around the entire bike was funny - maybe he really did just yank our chain good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
Okay, ya'll can flame me at will, but I've just gotta ask... All this effort to protect your pretty factory finish by covering it up just escapes me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If it's to protect the beautiful factory paint and graphics from a few scratches then why are you covering it up with protective materials?? Why not just wait until you do actually scratch it up, and then cover up the damage. But to do it beforehand just bewilders me. And how many people have actually damaged or broken off the petcock? I'll stick my neck out and guess that none of us have ever done so. As has already been demonstrated, the ADV tank is extremely durable, any crash will more likely result in a damaged subframe behind the tank. Personally I like the scratches on my tank, they're battle scars showing I actually ride the thing.. Maybe you just need an entire cage around your bike to protect you from any and all obstacles, yeah it's called a car. Ha! Flame away, but I'm really just playing devil's advocate.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #79
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
advrider rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I think it was the "tone", insinuating anyone considering tank protection was a pretty-boy on his perfect bike... and the fact that it seemed he hadn't bothered to read up and thought we wanted to spray line-x on perfect tanks...

the cage around the entire bike was funny - maybe he really did just yank our chain good.
See this is what works about this forum. Useful information buried with insult and indignation! I love it. The information is flowing as fast as the innuendo and insults. Keep up the good work fellow advriders!!

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #80
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:

prettyboy aka meat popsicle isn't it tought to shift with those stiletto pumps on?

Where is that toxic road rash thread?

check your mail meat.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #81
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
prettyboy aka meat popsicle isn't it tought to shift with those stiletto pumps on?

Where is that toxic road rash thread?

check your mail meat.
Yeah dag, it's murder...

toxic road rash thread?

thanks for the loaner dag! Have you tested your setup? If you have then start a LC4 dB thread, or i will once i have tested mine so we can compare notes. I am arranging to have someone take it to vrago's next weekend if I am busy becoming a daddy

Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #82
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Yeah dag, it's murder...

toxic road rash thread?

thanks for the loaner dag! Have you tested your setup? If you have then start a LC4 dB thread, or i will once i have tested mine so we can compare notes. I am arranging to have someone take it to vrago's next weekend if I am busy becoming a daddy
toxic road rash thread? gag,,,I meant on the bike not your knees damnit.

I got anywher from 98db to 101 but I have the 2" strait thrue superdupertrapp with the Flanny mods.
I can get it down to 94db but it's alittle plugged up feeling with only 4 discs in and if I just putter around it's not bad. I just need to learn to stay off the pipe.:grin
opened up on the freeway Methinksit'sabitLOUD but who rides around with it pinned all day, oops maybe I should refraise that.

remember check out in an open flat feild no where near any buildings and obstuctions or you will get a false echo reading. Middle of the nearest littleleague field should be good.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:33 AM   #83
ScarrJaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Does anyone have a wrecked Adventure tank? If we can
find one, I know somone that can mold the guards and
make them for a considerably cheaper amount, say
under 200 bucks like the japanese, but we need a tank
for him to mold it, I'm thinking
of searching dealers for a wrecked tank i can send him.
ps: usualy he gives free to the donor of the part the CF
product... the more of us that order the guards the cheaper
the part is...
Andrew
1997 KTM 620 Adventure
2000 Aprilia Mille R
1996 Ducati 900 SL

ScarrJaw screwed with this post 01-29-2005 at 01:39 AM
ScarrJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #84
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarrJaw
the part is...
Andrew
ATTENTION GREAT WHITE NORTH! somebody send your tank down for the winter... or maybe dirtrider has access to a tank for use as a mold?

Or if we band together to get the one off eBay (still under $100...) we could then sell it in the end to recoup the cost?!?

People what do ya say? (I of course still have to ask the reasonable one in the family what I can invest but I bet I could do a little. With the 10-20 640 adv riders it should be cheap!

Old 01-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #85
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
How about titanium as a complete aside?? Maybe not a light as CF - but whatever one uses should have high resistance to abrasion especially when on road. It was originally applied to the aerospace parts in the 70s (or earlier?). Since then, cf has made its name in racing monocoque fabrication although under severe impact I believe it just fractures a bit like glass. I wonder how it performs under heavy abrasion? I feel the ability of a surface to resist abrasion would relate to hardness and titanium would surely have a much higher rockwell # than the epoxy gel used on CF. Anyone who's seen a BM Boxer post drop knows how substantial the effect is on those alloy rocker covers.

Fabrication could be straight forward using a bloody great hammer, some g clamps and a piece of shaped 4x2! (remember we are talking dirt bike based solutions here - I feel CF belongs on Sports bikes)

My 2 cents
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #86
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
ATTENTION GREAT WHITE NORTH! somebody send your tank down for the winter... or maybe dirtrider has access to a tank for use as a mold?

Or if we band together to get the one off eBay (still under $100...) we could then sell it in the end to recoup the cost?!?

People what do ya say? (I of course still have to ask the reasonable one in the family what I can invest but I bet I could do a little. With the 10-20 640 adv riders it should be cheap!

why all the fuss. any halfway decent laminator can make a mold without hurting the tank. it's all in the prep. good old formula 5 mold release and a high gloss and you have the first half of the mold. then you need the true + mold which you don't need the tank for.

btw I would shy away from CF too other than for looks. It may be strong but it does not like impact or lateral load. CF/Kevlar weave would work and it comes black/ orange black/yellow black/red etc etc etc but it's cost is way WAY to much for a "disposable" part. would probably be almost as much as a new tank every time you busted one up.

Poly Plastics man, plastics is the way to go. Get a + /- mold and send it to a Vac. former and they can have 100 of them in a week. Cheaply too. the molds the real expense and most mold makers are over rated.
We used to use a sheet of heavy 1/2 glass, hot glue gun and wood scraps to make mold halves. you'd be amazed what trash could go into making molds.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #87
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
why all the fuss. any halfway decent laminator can make a mold without hurting the tank. it's all in the prep. good old formula 5 mold release and a high gloss and you have the first half of the mold. then you need the true + mold which you don't need the tank for.

btw I would shy away from CF too other than for looks. It may be strong but it does not like impact or lateral load. CF/Kevlar weave would work and it comes black/ orange black/yellow black/red etc etc etc but it's cost is way WAY to much for a "disposable" part. would probably be almost as much as a new tank every time you busted one up.

Poly Plastics man, plastics is the way to go. Get a + /- mold and send it to a Vac. former and they can have 100 of them in a week. Cheaply too. the molds the real expense and most mold makers are over rated.
We used to use a sheet of heavy 1/2 glass, hot glue gun and wood scraps to make mold halves. you'd be amazed what trash could go into making molds.
There was a post of polycarbonate guards for the tank recently (custom) that looked OK to me - I would like a bit different design. I would also rather not have clear.

The idea was CF/Kevlar guards, like the type BigTwin made for the 950. He mades those and sold them to AdvRiders within the 200 range and they were 6 plys - does that sound adequate to you dagwood? It sounds like you have a good understanding of these different materials So somebody could have a mold made with theirs then send the mold to a fabricator to have the CF/Kevlar or poly guards made eh?

Old 01-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #88
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
How about titanium as a complete aside??
Screw it...let's do magnesium so when Meat lays it down at least we get a bitchen' shower of sparks
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #89
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarrJaw
the part is...
Andrew
Hey ScarrJaw, I just happen to have an extra 01 tank sitting around, that I would love to send to him, especially for a free set of guards. Maybe we can finally have the CF/Kevlar guards like BigTwin made for the 950. That would be sweet.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #90
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Screw it...let's do magnesium so when Meat lays it down at least we get a bitchen' shower of sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Hey ScarrJaw, I just happen to have an extra 01 tank sitting around, that I would love to send to him, especially for a free set of guards. Maybe we can finally have the CF/Kevlar guards like BigTwin made for the 950. That would be sweet.

make sure we get price for #s of units and can we get a peep about design? The Japanese ones don't come high enough on the left side...