User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Mukluk25 OP
Hitchhiking to Bingo

Oddometer: 729
Question Throttle cable too short...help

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion. I have a 2005 R1200GS and bent my stock bars. I got a replacement set of Magura's and they mounted up fine. The problem is that they are wider than stock so the the throttle cable is now a bit short. Also, I do not use bar risers. When I turn the bars to the left is revs up really high. I used the adjuster up by the throttle grip and let it all the way out, but still too short. Is there an adjustment on the other end? Does anyone know of a resource to get a longer cable? I tried the dealer, but no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Is your throttle cable running from the handle between the forks? it should.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 696
reroute the cable behind the bar mounts. That is what i did with mine when I put risers on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukluk25
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion. I have a 2005 R1200GS and bent my stock bars. I got a replacement set of Magura's and they mounted up fine. The problem is that they are wider than stock so the the throttle cable is now a bit short. Also, I do not use bar risers. When I turn the bars to the left is revs up really high. I used the adjuster up by the throttle grip and let it all the way out, but still too short. Is there an adjustment on the other end? Does anyone know of a resource to get a longer cable? I tried the dealer, but no luck. Any help would be great. Thanks
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

this will help
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...throttle+cable
Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
ABuck99

Oddometer: 486
you can cut the bar ends off with a hack saw to match the width of your old bars- there should have been cut off marks on the end of the bars for that purpose.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Mukluk25 OP
Hitchhiking to Bingo

Oddometer: 729
Thanks for everyones reply.

Dan - My cable runs straight down (below the brake lever) and straight to the left side of the bike. If I were to run it between the forks, I would lose length.

Tbob - I gotta be honest. I looked at the thread you sent, which was really well done, but I dont see any difference after the job was done. Where was the cable moved to? It seems to be in the same spot after he was done?

Ragrep - This seems like a good option, but there are 2 types of bars that BMW used on this bike. One with inserts inside the ends and one with the threads built in. Mine had inserts. I had to cut them out of the stockers and had the inserts milled down to fit the Maguras. I would have to get the inserts out first before I could cut the bars down. Cutting the inserts out, which is not an option as they are about 2.5 inches long which would be too much. Those inserts are in there! It took a lot of time with a pneumatic rotary cutter to get them out of the stock bars.

I am trying to post a picture, but not having any luck. I was always able to do it before? Anyway, thanks for everyones help.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

did you read what I wrote? I posted the link to help you take apart the throttle housing to move the cable.
You need to re-route the cable so that it goes behind the bar mounts (between the bar mounts and the tank)

Quote:

Dan - My cable runs straight down (below the brake lever) and straight to the left side of the bike. If I were to run it between the forks, I would lose length.

Tbob - I gotta be honest. I looked at the thread you sent, which was really well done, but I dont see any difference after the job was done. Where was the cable moved to? It seems to be in the same spot after he was done?

Ragrep - This seems like a good option, but there are 2 types of bars that BMW used on this bike. One with inserts inside the ends and one with the threads built in. Mine had inserts. I had to cut them out of the stockers and had the inserts milled down to fit the Maguras. I would have to get the inserts out first before I could cut the bars down. Cutting the inserts out, which is not an option as they are about 2.5 inches long which would be too much. Those inserts are in there! It took a lot of time with a pneumatic rotary cutter to get them out of the stock bars.

I am trying to post a picture, but not having any luck. I was always able to do it before? Anyway, thanks for everyones help.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Here's a possibility that is very slim but I'll mention it.

At some point I realized my throttle cable was super short and had basically no length for adjustment. When I made a left hand turn the throttle cable would be pulled which would cause the bike to rev. Nasty and dangerous!

Turns out the last mechanic to touch it had somehow bumped the throttle cable out of its proper routing and clips (somewhere under the tank). This was enough to cause the symptoms mentioned above.

So the solution was to remove gas tank and verify that the cable is routed properly and clipped in to the appropriate clips.

Good luck!

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
ABuck99

Oddometer: 486
Quote:

OOF- thats a lot of work- you might try G2 Ergonomics- or MSR which makes some insert hardware for hand guards ect.