User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
DR Donk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Using the engine as a brake.

I've seen countless riders, mostly on cruisers, that use the engine as a brake. I'm not talking about downshifting for a corner or going down a gear because you are changing speeds. What I mean is, riders who are approaching a stoplight or stop sign who work their way down through the gears engaging the clutch and literally using the engine to slow down not even using the brakes until the last moment. I did this when I first learned to ride, for about 2 days, until I realized it was an inefficient way to stop. What do you guys think of this engine as the main brake crap?
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Jbwiden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
If you are always in the correct gear you can quickly accelerate out of a bad situation. If you need to stop faster you can use the brakes also (I always use both), but in case that you need the brakes I would say you are stopping too quickly and put yourself at higher risk of being rear ended. I think it is also the Legal way of doing it...

Edit:good point was made- brakes need to also be used to have the brake light ...

Jbwiden screwed with this post 09-17-2009 at 12:02 PM
Jbwiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,240
I will do it sometimes. Usually its just when I'm messing around. But when I want to properly stop I use the brakes, and even sometimes combine the brakes with engine braking. If I'm in traffic I use the brakes, I dont want some one rear ending me because they didn't notice a brake light flashing on.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwiden
If you are always in the correct gear you can quickly accelerate out of a bad situation.
Correct. No use being in 5th gear, rolling at 10mph with the clutch disengaged as you brake to a stop, anticipating clicking down to 1st, when you realize you are about to get nailed from behind...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Correct. No use being in 5th gear, rolling at 10mph with the clutch disengaged as you brake to a stop, anticipating clicking down to 1st, when you realize you are about to get nailed from behind...

hahahahhahahaha he said nailed from behind

I know it's not that funny i'm just bored.
I personally am pretty new and have recently started to shy away from this because when i first started into traffic i was so filled with braking horror stories i used my engine to much. But, just like a standard car I'm trying to learn to use both
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd
hahahahhahahaha he said nailed from behind
No issue; I figured someone would run with it.

I don't use my engine as the main brake, but do keep my gear appropriate for my speed as I slow to a stop. This may or may not mean clutching to engage the gears as I downshift; I often just hold in the clutch and click down through the gears as my speed decreases, so that I'm in an appropriate gear should I need to engage the clutch.

Other times I do engage the clutch when slowing because I love to hear the sound of the exhaust on a certain machine.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I use the engine to brake a lot. I also put 2 fingers on the front brake and squeese it enough to put the light on. Not only does my GS700 have a LOT of engine braking but it helps me make sure I'm in the right gear for the speed I'm traveling. You should be able to do both. There are times when enigne braking is not a good idea but just coming up to a leisurely stop it's fine. The cruiser guys do it because they want everyone to hear the loud-ass annoying pipes they have on their chrome monster.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
DR Donk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
All good points. I'm not trying to flame on those that do use the engine to brake, just trying to get input on what people do. Whatever works. I guess it's kind of a personal preference thing.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Good for engine break-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk
I've seen countless riders, mostly on cruisers, that use the engine as a brake. I'm not talking about downshifting for a corner or going down a gear because you are changing speeds. What I mean is, riders who are approaching a stoplight or stop sign who work their way down through the gears engaging the clutch and literally using the engine to slow down not even using the brakes until the last moment. I did this when I first learned to ride, for about 2 days, until I realized it was an inefficient way to stop. What do you guys think of this engine as the main brake crap?
Yep - I do it sometimes, other times I'll leave the clutch in and snick down through the gears as the speed drops; always ready to go in the proper gear. When engine braking, I drag the rear brake a little so folks behind me can see my brake lights. Point is when engine braking, you're in control and have plenty of time. Sometimes it's nice to hear the bike growl and pop a little as you stop (the F8 has a very light flywheel and a lot of personality in the pipe department - I never grow tired of hearing it "bark")

I do this A LOT when breaking in a new engine.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
It's always better to be a the right gear for the engine speed if you need to move in a hurry. Also, a lot of gearboxes don't take kindly to being stopped in a higher gear and then trying to click back down to neutral or first.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
when I raced a jap 600 4 the only catastrophic engine failures I ever saw were from people using the engine slow the bike, while setting up for a turn.

I do not know if this has anything to do with the original post?
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Other times I do engage the clutch when slowing because I love to hear the sound of the exhaust on a certain machine.

Yeah, KLR's sound awesome!

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
I do not know if this has anything to do with the original post?
No it really doesn't, that's something that is happening at high rpm. OP is talking about coasting to a stop at a traffic light.

If someone is just "cruising" towards a light that they can see is red, I don't see the harm in it. Is only someone who "smokes it in" and then slams on the brakes (maybe does a stoppie) a "real" motorcyclist? Maybe the light will turn green before they get there and then they can just ride away,

Often a slow turning big V-twin (typical cruiser engine) will have a lot of "engine braking". A high performance in-line four (like on a sportbike) may not have much at low rpm. So what works okay on one bike won't work very well on another.

I don't see that it is so harmful as to call it "crap".
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I'll do it if:
1. There is nobody behind me.
2. I'm coming up to a red light that I know I'll have to wait for.

It's just to kill time. I'd rather ride (even slowly) than sit at a red light.

Ron
Ranger Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
It's always better to be a the right gear for the engine speed if you need to move in a hurry. Also, a lot of gearboxes don't take kindly to being stopped in a higher gear and then trying to click back down to neutral or first.
And personally speaking, not being in the right gear (first) when trying to take off again can be annoying. Downshifting through the gears at an anticipated stop helps me remember to be in first.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote