Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Trip to Norway

Hey there Adventurers!
We did a trip in norway with my wife, and i decided to try to write a RR from that trip.
This is my first RR and my English could be better, but i hope that there is something that you guys find intresting and/or helpful for your own trip planning.
All the comment and questions are very wellcome!

Dirtdigger screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 01:24 AM
Dirtdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

We were dreaming of motorcycle trip to Norway with my wife for some time allready. We managed to get our summer holidays partly in the same time this year, so we could make a two week trip at the end of the summer.
Our first plan was to drive from Oulu (Finland) to Haparanda (Sweden) and down to coastline to the Lulea. From there we would go inland and with the road E45 all the way to the Ostersund. From there we would head to the Norway and Trondheim. From Trondheim up to the north all the way to Skibotn and back to Finland to Kilpisjärvi. And from there back to the home in Oulu.
But plans have made to be changed. We were continuosly hearing about these two places called Trollstigen and Geiranger. People we talked about our trip plans allways asked if we were going to see these two places? After a while I decided to see whats up with these places everybody fuzzes about. Put the names in Google, and WOW! I was sold! Few pictures from those places and our trip plan was changed.
Now the plan was to get to E45 same route as it was before, but only to the Storuman. From there we would head to the Mo I rana in Norway. Down to Trondheim from Mo I rana, with the route that we didn’t want to decide until we were there. There we would head trough Trollstigen to the Geiranger. And in Geiranger we would decide which way we would drive back north.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Finally it was the Sunday we had been waiting for. Durin the day we packed our motorcycles, and in early evening we headed north.

About 60 km later we were in a relatives summerhouse where we would stay over night.

Monday morning at 8am we woke up, had some breakfast, packed our bikes and around 9.30 we were back on the saddle of our bikes. Wheater was misty and temperature was +12 Celsius.
Just around the corner there was a gas station where we filled up the bikes.
We headed north, and just before Tornio wheather cleared up. Soon after Tornio we crossed border to Sweden, after crossing the border sky started to look really dark. So dark that I allready started to think about my rainsuit. But we didn’t hit any rain in the way. There were wet road where it had rained just before we were there, but luckily we missed it. Before Lulea we stopped to fill up our bikes and our stomachs.
Passed the Lulea and soon after that headed to the inland place called Alvsbyn. From there we were going to make a detour to the water falls, called Storforsen, that our friend had told us about.
We drove road 374 until we saw this huge water fall. Just like the friend had told, you cant drive passed it without noticing it. We followed the signs to the parking lot,

and hiked from there right next to the water.

The noise from the falls was quite amazing! Few suvenier photos and we hiked back to our bikes. By the way hiking in driving gear and with a backpack gets quite warm!
It was around 3 pm when we headed back to the Alvsbyn, and from there to Arvidsjaur where we arrived just before 5 pm. We found nice camping site called CampGielas just on the edge of the town.

Put up our tent and headed to the town to find something to eat. From
ICA market we got some breakfast stuff and Grill called Sibylla next to the ICA we got our stomachs full. Back to the camping place, locked our bikes really good so that they would still be there in the morning

and headed in the tent. Nice start for the trip, and it was good to fall in a sleep in the tent.

Dirtdigger screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 01:31 AM
Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Tuesday at 6 we wake up in to the cold but sunny morning.

There was morning dew on our bikes and the temperature was down close to 0 celsius.

A bit of breakfast, pack everything on the bikes and around 8.30 we were back on the road. While we were riding wheather started to warm up, and in Sorsele we stopped to a gas station to get a cup of coffee to warm ourselves from the inside also.
We drove to the Storuman where we headed on the E12 to Mo I rana (Norway). After a while we noticed that we could of gotten straight to E12 from Sorsele, but what the heck we are on holiday anyway.

(Sceneries started to look promising)
Before Tarnaby we stopped to fill the bikes and when we were coming back on the road from the gas station there was a BMW 1100GS passing by. We drove a short while behind that GS and I thought I recognized German license plate. I hoped to got to talk to the German guy, but soon the sceneries took over, I just had to stop and take a few photos.

Few quick stops later we arrived in Tarnaby, and drove to a gas station where we hoped to get our stomachs full and there was this German guy on the same gas station.

We didn’t get our stomachs full, but wegot to talk to this German guy for quite a while. He was on a longer trip, he had started from Germany in July (hope i remember correct?) and had been all over Scandinavia all the way up to Nordcap too. He planned to still ride for 3 weeks around Sweden and Norway and then around Germany. I have to say i´m a bit jealous to him, as i only had a change to do 2 week trip. Maybe some other day I have a chance to do trip similar to his tour?
We wished good trip both ways and we headed to Mo I rana. Bit by bit the hills started to be more like mountains. Before Norway we stopped in the grocery store to get some snack and while eating I watched the GPS and it said that we were in 530m above sea level,

WOW!
And behind the store there were even higher peaks, cool we are getting to better sceneries soon.

After the stop road went to S#%T there was some repair going on and road was rough gravel more than 10km. For me it wasn’t a problem but my wife with her Sportster Low wasn’t too happy about this.

Soon we arrived to Norwegian border.

After that there was first tunnel of our trip, a bit over 3km long. Sceneries started to change more deserted, but at the same time more beautiful. After wondering the sceneries for a while we arrived to Mo I rana. We drove through the town in evening traffic trying to find a camping site, but with no luck. I spotted a gas station and headed there to ask if they knew any camping sites nearby. When we drove to this gas station there was a Finnish truck in the yard and when the driver saw my Finnish flag on my bike we got really big wave from the cabin of that truck. From the gas station we were pointed 17 km south to a very nice camping site called Yttervik camping.

We quickly put up our tent and went to eat. We almost had to go all the way back to this gas station before we found a place to eat. In the evening we went to shover, which was 10 Norwegian krowns for 5 min. but it definitely was worth it after 2 days on the road. This Camping site was in a very beautiful spot.

Before I went to sleep I checked the km reading first time during the whole trip and it was 922km, good start.

Dirtdigger screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 02:26 PM
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,445
Can't wait to see Norway. Good report so far. Keep it coming.

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Takahashi23
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Norway is beautiful, i love going there.

spring 2011 i'll be doing a trip across part of norway myself.

great pics and report!
Takahashi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys! More is comming as soon as i have time to write it up.
And there is a big "twist" coming allso after couple riding days... Stay tuned!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048
Beautiful ride! Thanks for the report and pics

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Thanks Gadget Boy!
Its nice to hear that theres something intersting to others too!
I´ll try and continue the story as soon as possible.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Wednesday started around 7 am. Again same morning routine and at 8.30 am we were on the road again. Weather was a lot warmer than previous morning in Sweden and the sun was shining without a single cloud in the sky. We drove through many short and one huge, over 8km long tunnels. At 9 am we found roadside diner where we got ourselves morning coffees and then back on the road again. On the way we stopped many times to take photos and just wonder the sceneries.

There was clouds beginning to appear to the sky but still the sun was warming nicely. There was two asphalt constructions on the way where they had kind of “safety car” that all the cars and motorcycles followed next to the construction site. That was totally new for us as in Finland I haven’t seen or heard anything like this. As we got more south the mountains begin to be more round shaped and lover but still the sceneries were awesome. After about 200km we stopped to truckstop to get something to eat. There was a temperature meter on the side of a building that said it was +24 celsius, quite good riding weather!
With our stomachs full we hit the road again, weather was more cloudy than before but still it was warm. Before town called Grong we once again stopped for taking pictures and this German guy with hes bicycle drove next to our bikes.

He was island hopping with hes bike around Norways coastline for a few days and now he was heading back south. We talked with him quite a while and he said that we really should go and see the coastline. We thought that we could come back north through that way. After taking pictures and wishing good trip we headed to the place called Namsos that this guy said was really nice place. From Namsos turist info sign we found a camping site that was just around the corner. It was easy to find it, right next to the airfield.

Actually camping site ended in the airfields fence, well probably there would not be too many airplanes coming and going in this small place. We put up our tent

and went a little walk. When we came back there were two squirrels chasing each other in the trees next to our tent.

We went to sleep, or at least almost. Just when I was falling in a sleep there was a big jet landing on the airfield and soon after it left. Luckily it was the nights last flight and we could sleep rest of the night peacefully. Days km reading was 307km.

Dirtdigger screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 12:29 PM
Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Mike_K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Wow, beautiful landscapes and you tooked beautiful pictures of that. Beside motorcycling, photographie is a hobby of you?

The sheepskin rug on your benches, what function did they have? Is it warmer or is it against the vibrations of a bike with 1 Cylinder?

Regards, Mike
Mike_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Very nice!

I'm planning on going in north Sweden/Norway myself next week.

Keep it coming.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Hey Mike K and thank you!
Yes Photographing is one of my hobbies.
Sheepskin is there to help our butts last longer on the hard seat, while riding day after day. It works great too!

Dirtdigger screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 01:27 PM
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
Dirtdigger OP
Adventurer

Hey Kyns!
Have a nice time while your there and enjoy the sceneries!
And yes sir, ill keep it coming as soon as possible.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Awsome! That is my next big trip. I was there in February, looking forward to see it in the summer.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote