Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:51 PM   #1
larsenf OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
LED turn signal mysterys (any electrical engineers here?)

I installed LED turn signals front and rear and a 2 wire LED flasher relay that fits my super sherpa's oem plug. All turn signals all the time. I removed the turn signal indicator bulb and they all flash as they should.

Or so I thought...

I installed 3 wire led turn signals up front (stock is 2 wire) because they were the same price and I thought it would be nice to have running lights. While bench testing the LED lights one wire will turn them on dimly and the other brightly. The rear 2 wire lights are just bright. On the bike I realized that when run through the LED flasher relay the turn signals front and rear are dim. When 12v is run to the parking light wire the LED is dim as it should. Because the lights are dim through the flasher when the parking lights are on the front signals do not flash. So why/how is the flasher relay only flashing dim?

I'm guessing I could just go back to the oem flasher and install load resistors but dammit I like minimal, clean, professional looking installs and that would be adding components and wiring! I'm also just really curious why the relay is making things dim.
larsenf is offline   Reply With Quote