User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Bernie Kap OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Advice on KLR doohickey upgrade

This week I am going to upgrade the doo hickey on my 2011 650 KLR. The bike has 20k miles on it. I am going to install the torsion spring. I got all the parts and tools needed to do the job from Eagle Mike. I watched several videos on you-tube and have a Clymer manual on hand. This my first time doing this project. Does anyone have any advice on what is the most difficult part of the job and where to be careful? Thanks.
Bernie Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #2
countryrebel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Just pay attention to where everything is and watch the videos as you go. I did mine last week and noticed my engine runs smoother and quieter.
countryrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #3
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,261
Watch the keyway when you pull the flywheel off.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I did it twice. The second time was to put the torsion spring on.

One hard part was getting the flywheel back on. Be sure to have the key on top and put some grease on it. Both times I just kept trying and it finally went on. I don't know what I did different when it worked. Once when it went the magnetic force pinched my fingers a little.

Another minor problem area is getting the torsion spring inserted. I filed a groove in a flat screwdriver blade. This worked well and is useful in lots of similar situations. Others recommend angle needle nose pliers.

Don't screw up the spacers on the starter gears.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #5
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Where you at? We have a tech day today.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #6
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post

One hard part was getting the flywheel back on. Be sure to have the key on top and put some grease on it. Both times I just kept trying and it finally went on. I don't know what I did different when it worked.

Old trick, take a center punch and peen the side of the woodruff key, then it's a tap fit into the slot and it won't fall out ever again.

OP, I know of a techday in Santa Rosa, California at the end of the month if you're from these parts. It's a lot more fun to work with some hecklers looking over your shoulder.
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #7
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I did it twice. The second time was to put the torsion spring on.

One hard part was getting the flywheel back on. Be sure to have the key on top and put some grease on it. Both times I just kept trying and it finally went on. I don't know what I did different when it worked. Once when it went the magnetic force pinched my fingers a little.

Another minor problem area is getting the torsion spring inserted. I filed a groove in a flat screwdriver blade. This worked well and is useful in lots of similar situations. Others recommend angle needle nose pliers.

Don't screw up the spacers on the starter gears.

If you turn the flywheel back and forth it will go right on,it helps align the starter gear behind the flywheel or something like that.

eddie bolted screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:24 AM
eddie bolted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
like Larryboy said.... couple punch marks to tighten the fit of the key. I also paint the end yellow so I can see it after the rotor is back on. more than a few have been knocked out during installation. the bike will run fine for a while & then the rotor slips & the ignition timing is off
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #9
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
like Larryboy said.... couple punch marks to tighten the fit of the key. I also paint the end yellow so I can see it after the rotor is back on. more than a few have been knocked out during installation. the bike will run fine for a while & then the rotor slips & the ignition timing is off
I thought i lost mine when i took it apart, luckly it was stuck to the flywheel.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #10
Bernie Kap OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Old trick, take a center punch and peen the side of the woodruff key, then it's a tap fit into the slot and it won't fall out ever again.

OP, I know of a techday in Santa Rosa, California at the end of the month if you're from these parts. It's a lot more fun to work with some hecklers looking over your shoulder.
I don't quite understand the part about peening the side of the key. Does it mean like putting a gauge on the surface of the woodrift key, so that it is a snug fit and won't move. When I drill the hole for the torsion spring can I fit the spring to see exactly where the hole should be. I understand the hole is to go at the 7 o'clock position. I am using Happy Trails directions and other videos for this process. Thanks.
Bernie Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #11
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Kap View Post
I understand the hole is to go at the 7 o'clock position.
7:00 might involve more than enough "torsion." but . . . you can always drill another hole at a more convenient location, if 7:00 is in the "too hard" range.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #12
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Kap View Post
I don't quite understand the part about peening the side of the key. Does it mean like putting a gauge on the surface of the woodrift key, so that it is a snug fit and won't move. When I drill the hole for the torsion spring can I fit the spring to see exactly where the hole should be. I understand the hole is to go at the 7 o'clock position. I am using Happy Trails directions and other videos for this process. Thanks.
No, you have to(for lack of a better word)wind the spring to get it in the hole you drilled.