Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #1501
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagati View Post

Heading off in the next few day's
Don't think you'll get too far with no fuel pump

PS, I hate you, jealous as hell! nice bike!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #1502
Tagati OP
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 2,594
fuel pump is there alright. it mounts about half way up on the right side. Don't ask me how that works . I think the bottom mount is for the 610. And thanks. it's been a long road

Note to self. When fueling up at Windorah do NOT say "I'll see you later", "I had better get a hop along" or "See you around". You will just look like a prick in front of the locals and feel like a dick.
Tagati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #1503
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
fuel pump is there alright. it mounts about half way up on the right side. Don't ask me how that works . I think the bottom mount is for the 610
haha! I had no idea they were different. Yep the 610 mounts in the bottom right side where those screws are. Now I'm really jealous since my 610 seems to be eating its THIRD fuel pump, they must have 'upgraded' the pump in the 630. You know that's when they make a radical change without acknowledging a problem
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #1504
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
check those bolts and spokes

Hello all

Just a little update on my 630, I have it 1 day and the sprocket bolts were defiantly loose, so where the spokes, some almost finger tight, just a reminder to go over the bike well and check EVERYTHING!!!!!

Sethro

https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #1505
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Considering a TE630 but....

I am nearly convinced the TE630 is going to replace my KLR, my only reservation is parts availability. Not that I think I will need a bunch of parts but I heard about a dealer dropping the line because they could not get parts for customers. I have one dealer within about a 25 mile radius but the last time I was there he had one bike. That did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling for local support. I do have a couple within about a 75 mile radius Any experiences, thoughts?

Thanks!
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #1506
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuddy View Post
I am nearly convinced the TE630 is going to replace my KLR, my only reservation is parts availability. Not that I think I will need a bunch of parts but I heard about a dealer dropping the line because they could not get parts for customers. I have one dealer within about a 25 mile radius but the last time I was there he had one bike. That did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling for local support. I do have a couple within about a 75 mile radius Any experiences, thoughts?

Thanks!
Motoexotica will ship you whatever you need. They're in Vacaville.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #1507
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

I've never had any issues. Especially with the bigger dealers:

Halls, Motoxotica, Bill's and Taskey's in particular have very good parts on-hand.

Now having said that, a buddy of mine blew out a crank bearing and had to wait SIX MONTHS for the part to come from Italy. So it can in fact happen, but I think it can happen with any make so

I will say though that compared to BMW, dealers seem to actually stock more and they cost a heck of a lot less.

The Advantage Kawi has is that any old Parts unlimited dealer can order some generic part that will fit it. It's a little harder to walk into a cycle gear and get husky parts. But honestly that's mostly due to MFR negligence. For example the brake pads are really common on KTM's but if you look in the book Husky simply isn't listed. If the dealer has good stock you just eyeball it and walk out with your part, but most dealer's aren't well stocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuddy View Post

Thanks!
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #1508
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I am half way around the world in a dusty backwater with the nearest dealer better than 2000km away. Do you reckon I am worried? For most stuff I plan ahead. When it comes to parts availability I have no difficulties... order by phone or on the net and if I need it now, have it express shipped. Your Kawasaki dealer probably does the same for a lot of stuff unless he has 20 KLRs through there each week... he'll have bugger all in the way of spares in stock and that is likely to be nothing more than the very basic service items.
THis is true. When I broke down on my BMW F650 I was halfway between the dealers in San Diego and Cabo San Lucas. (500 miles each way) And they were the ONLY dealers of any brand. There were no Honda dealers or Suzuki or KAwi any closer than Cabo or S.D. So I decided right then that if parts gotta come from the states anyhow, I might as well get the bike I liked.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #1509
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,117
Quote:

Somehow that is exactly how I figured you looked. Have a great trip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
haha! I had no idea they were different. Yep the 610 mounts in the bottom right side where those screws are. Now I'm really jealous since my 610 seems to be eating its THIRD fuel pump, they must have 'upgraded' the pump in the 630. You know that's when they make a radical change without acknowledging a problem

That's the one thing that never failed on my 610.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #1510
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 785
Quote:

Dude the 630 is such a great looking bike stock, that tank is so HUGE, such an abomination...that it transcends ugly and becomes a piece of rolling ART!

I want one

The IMS tank complements the bike's form better, BUT:

-it doesn't fit straight

-spreads its wings out with use and catches air, moves around if not shimmed

-has petcocks every which way screwed into plastic (not brass inserts) which leak every 3k miles and need rebedding with more and more wraps of teflon tape each time

-made as cheaply as it's price point

Wish the Safari over here was a bit less. Don't think it would look any better in red, too much too much....

It appears the tank has to come off to pull the spark plug, about the only negative.

You got any foam in there?

HEY PLEASE, if you know, tell us when the bike runs out of fuel, how much gas is left in the Safari tank unuseable (after leaning the bike over to slosh some over to the fuel pump side of the tank)???
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #1511
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
If it was then you are a troll. You are reprimanding the wrong person Sunshine.
Sorry, not trying to step on your privates. I quoted your post simply to associate with the luggage conversation. Our posts were not otherwise related as you were comparing the GL Great Basin to other options while I was refering to the Coyote alone while advocating for travelin' light. Feel free to insert "a person" for every "you" in my post.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #1512
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,565
Any pics of the Safari in red? I've been surfing thru this thread here and there, haven't seen any yet.
That is a LOT of red plastic though Should be easy to spot from a helicopter.

I sold a very nice '07 TE 610 and wished immediately I hadn't... but the 630 had landed on my radar screen and I'm looking for the comparisons between the SOHC screw & locknut motor vs. the DOHC re: things like camchain replacement intervals, etc.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #1513
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Any pics of the Safari in red? I've been surfing thru this thread here and there, haven't seen any yet.
Paging Huzar to the White Courtesy Phone.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #1514
WFO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
[QUOTE=Tagati;16627822]

Think u just sold the next 100 safari Tank's . That bike looks ready for anything. NICE!
WFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #1515
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

I sold a very nice '07 TE 610 and wished immediately I hadn't... but the 630 had landed on my radar screen and I'm looking for the comparisons between the SOHC screw & locknut motor vs. the DOHC re: things like camchain replacement intervals, etc.
Paging Huzar to the White Courtesy Phone.
These are of my 610:

huzar is offline   Reply With Quote