User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #1516
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
ims tank

Anyone have one of the 5 gallon IMS tanks on a 630? Pics? That Safari is just too damn big...
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #1517
nella
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Dude, there's a tiny person stuck under your back fender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
These are of my 610:

Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #1518
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,909
While I like Tagait's setup, looks good, for me the Safari is too damn big. The IMS tank is listed for the 610 and my understanding is they are enough different from the 630 as to be incompatible. Can anyone confirm or deny????
A 5 gl would be perfect for mine.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #1519
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
I think the bike is beautiful with that tank. I also like how low the extra fuel is carried on the bike. I would sure like to get one of the 630s. I hope there will be at least a few more years of production.

Nice centerstand.

Mike
Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #1520
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
While I like Tagait's setup, looks good, for me the Safari is too damn big. The IMS tank is listed for the 610 and my understanding is they are enough different from the 630 as to be incompatible. Can anyone confirm or deny????
A 5 gl would be perfect for mine.

I don't think IMS ever updated the tank for the fuel pump? It was originally designed for the carb'd '06.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #1521
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I don't think IMS ever updated the tank for the fuel pump? It was originally designed for the carb'd '06.
Yep, won't work past the 07 610. Definitely a no-go on the 630.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #1522
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 785
Uptite tank conversion for 630...

Here is a thread on CafeHusky with pix, it is an outboard box to contain the fuel pump for the fuel injected bikes:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/big...-uptite.15109/

I just spoke to George who said 2-4 weeks it should be ready, he is 99.9% done but needs three uninterrupted days to

complete the sourcing of a couple small parts etc. Unfortunately he is building 27 motors right now ...

One of the posts said he had to heat up and deform a small area of the IMS tank to fit his bike, but George said

the tank fits the later 610's AND the 630.

We should know soon...
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #1523
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
vibes?

How are people dealing with the vibrations of this bike on long rides? I did a 45 minute highway stint last night and when I got off I couldn't feel my ass or my hands and my upper body just generally felt like someone beat me up. Last bike was a WR250R and while the engine was revving a lot at 75 it was very smooth. The TE is just loping along at that speed but man, you really know it is a single.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #1524
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey View Post
How are people dealing with the vibrations of this bike on long rides? I did a 45 minute highway stint last night and when I got off I couldn't feel my ass or my hands and my upper body just generally felt like someone beat me up. Last bike was a WR250R and while the engine was revving a lot at 75 it was very smooth. The TE is just loping along at that speed but man, you really know it is a single.
You get used to it. It aint no harley...

The Versys owners whine about vibes, they're nothing compared. I only have about 250 miles on mine and really only notice the vibes above about 5500. With 14-42 it runs 4850 at 70. By GPS the speedo is surprisingly accurate. Closest I've seen for any vehicle. Tires contribute to vibe for sure. A road oriented DS tire that's balanced would smooth things out. I dunno, it's a big dirtbike so I don't sweat it too much. I'm gonna trailer mine if it's further than a couple of hundred miles.

I find the wind blast harder to deal with than the vibes. And the seat isn't at all form fit to your butt so pressure points setup pretty quickly. I imagine I could manage 3 or 4 hours with a rest stop each hour. Definitely needs a seat mod.

For any distance traveling I would want a custom seat and at least a mini wind screen to direct blast off your chest.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #1525
EricV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Hi gang. Just curious about what you guys are doing/using...

Last night I had my 1st flat on the TE...luckily I was literally blocks from home so loped along. Most of my excursions are afternoon/day trips, so I don't have a rack/bags, etc.

For those of you that do commuting or short days trips (i.e. not gearing up to the hilt) where do you stash your irons/tubes/tools? Eventually I'll get a fender rack, but so far have not seen one that entices me (the Husky one does, but don't think I'm going to splurge that kind of cabbage for it right now, in light of needing a pipe, etc. beforehand.) I'm thinking of constructing a smallish/flattish under the rear fender storage compartment for this stuff.

Also, how do you guys handle out in the wild flats when you're alone? I am thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.endurostar.com/

Thanks!

Eric
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #1526
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You get used to it. It aint no harley...

The Versys owners whine about vibes, they're nothing compared. I only have about 250 miles on mine and really only notice the vibes above about 5500. With 14-42 it runs 4850 at 70. By GPS the speedo is surprisingly accurate. Closest I've seen for any vehicle. Tires contribute to vibe for sure. A road oriented DS tire that's balanced would smooth things out. I dunno, it's a big dirtbike so I don't sweat it too much. I'm gonna trailer mine if it's further than a couple of hundred miles.

I find the wind blast harder to deal with than the vibes. And the seat isn't at all form fit to your butt so pressure points setup pretty quickly. I imagine I could manage 3 or 4 hours with a rest stop each hour. Definitely needs a seat mod.

For any distance traveling I would want a custom seat and at least a mini wind screen to direct blast off your chest.
I agree. A good balanced DS tire and a custom seat does the trick. I'm lazy and don't balance my tires, but it sure wouldn't hurt. The vibration doesn't bother me at all; it's the wind blast that wears me out.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #1527
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post

Last night I had my 1st flat on the TE...luckily I was literally blocks from home so loped along. Most of my excursions are afternoon/day trips, so I don't have a rack/bags, etc.

For those of you that do commuting or short days trips (i.e. not gearing up to the hilt) where do you stash your irons/tubes/tools? Eventually I'll get a fender rack, but so far have not seen one that entices me (the Husky one does, but don't think I'm going to splurge that kind of cabbage for it right now, in light of needing a pipe, etc. beforehand.) I'm thinking of constructing a smallish/flattish under the rear fender storage compartment for this stuff.

Also, how do you guys handle out in the wild flats when you're alone? I am thinking of getting one of these:

Thanks!

Eric
When commuting, I don't carry any tools. My commute is short, at 8 miles and about 10-15 minutes.

For packing tools & supplies, I love my Giant Loop Coyote/Fandango setup.

I have never seen that stand before. It looks pretty cool. If I flat on the trails, I just lay the bike down somewhere soft and get to work.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1528
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post

Thanks!

Eric

The factory-supplied tool kit will fit under the seat over the battery and ECU. I put a piece of 1/4" neoprene down (mouse pad is perfect) so there's no possibilty of short, and then the tools aren't sitting directly on the ECU. There's a space in the front of the seat pan to accomodate it. I may even figure out a way to tie it into the seat pan so it's not resting on the bat.

I wouldn't put anything under the fender, the tire will hit it. But a Moose or MSR tube pack over the rear fender would work great for a spare tube, irons, and a C02 kit. I think Wolfman has one too. I used to run one on the front of my KTM but it got to be a bother and eventually pulled the fender down some. I don't think it would be an issue on the husky rear. They're cheap too, about $35 I think. If you choose that route be sure to notch out the fender for the hold-down tabs, even better drill a small hole and zip tie the clips on. Otherwise you'll lose it and not even know it.

For longer trips or offroad into the wilds I put a full tool roll with spares, duct tape, wire, etc. in my camelbak. BTW, a front tube will work in the rear in a pinch.

You can always find something to run the bike up on to get it off the ground enough to get the wheel off.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #1529
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey View Post
The bigger thumper motors are...thumpier. That's the deal and that ain't gonna change. I will say...it's less thumpy at 4800 rpm than at 4000. I've geared down the front sprocket to 14 and have a 44 that will go on the rear. Since I'll never try to "cruise" at 70+ (too windy for my taste), that gearing works fine on the highway and crawls really nicely over rocks.

Vibrations affect different people in different ways. It's almost always not the strength (amplitude) of the vibration that bugs people, it's the frequency. On a motorbike, you can change the frequency by changing speeds and/or gearing. I like the motor closer to 5k rpms on the highway. Another rider might like it around 4500...

I've ridden the 610 I had before the 630 on a 3-hour highway jaunt (each way) and it got easier and easier the more I rode. My tailbone gave out long before I tired of the vibrations. The narrow seat just doesn't work. My SeatConcepts replacement should arrive today.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #1530
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Riding around town (meaning not off to the mountains) I don't carry a spare tube or tools to change one. My backup plan is simpler...I have a spare set of wheels* at home and a cell phone to call the wife.

On trail...I am in the process of searching for the best set of tire spoons to add to the tool roll. A spare front tube, a pack of tube patches and my power air pump are part of the kit now.

*I have 17's for riding around town and the 18/21 wheels ready to throw on for dirt trips. When I had the KTM I had two sets of 18/21's -- one with street tires and one with dirt tires.

Speaking of all this...has anybody tried the Tubliss system? I'm thinking of springing for that when I have my first dirt tire replacement due.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote