Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #1531
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey View Post
How are people dealing with the vibrations of this bike on long rides? I did a 45 minute highway stint last night and when I got off I couldn't feel my ass or my hands and my upper body just generally felt like someone beat me up. Last bike was a WR250R and while the engine was revving a lot at 75 it was very smooth. The TE is just loping along at that speed but man, you really know it is a single.
Check the upper motor mounts carefully. When they go loose, and the do go loose often, the motor shakes like a paint shaker.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #1532
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Check the upper motor mounts carefully. When they go loose, and the do go loose often, the motor shakes like a paint shaker.
The old "Torque Wrench Walkaround" -- good thing to do on a boring evening at home or a rainy Saturday afternoon.

I've used this routine to teach my boys about bolts and wrenches and stuff. They take turns -- one calling out torque specs and the other working the wrench. The BMW boxer bikes I've had always had loose bolts somewhere.

BTW -- to do this on a regular basis, set the wrench a few pounds below each specific setting. Hitting a bolt repeatedly with the proper torque setting will over-tighten it. If you find a loose one, then set the wrench properly for that bolt.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #1533
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
The old "Torque Wrench Walkaround" -- good thing to do on a boring evening at home or a rainy Saturday afternoon.

I've used this routine to teach my boys about bolts and wrenches and stuff. They take turns -- one calling out torque specs and the other working the wrench. The BMW boxer bikes I've had always had loose bolts somewhere.

BTW -- to do this on a regular basis, set the wrench a few pounds below each specific setting. Hitting a bolt repeatedly with the proper torque setting will over-tighten it. If you find a loose one, then set the wrench properly for that bolt.
Unfortunately the mounts on the 610 and 630 that rattle loose for SOME people aren't quite as easy as a 'walk around". The tank has to come off... Mine has been loose ONCE the half a dozen or so times I've had the tank off the 610 in about 14,000 miles...
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #1534
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
How are people dealing with the vibrations of this bike on long rides? I did a 45 minute highway stint last night and when I got off I couldn't feel my ass or my hands and my upper body just generally felt like someone beat me up. Last bike was a WR250R and while the engine was revving a lot at 75 it was very smooth. The TE is just loping along at that speed but man, you really know it is a single.

My friend I ride with allready opted for the Seat Concepts saddle on his TE630. We rode 475 miles two weekends ago and during the ride I swapped saddles with him. I almost thought that the tires were not even hitting the ground after riding with the aftermarket seat. I felt like I lost all that road feel that is very notiable with the stock seat. Since It was so plush and smooth I immediatly ordered one the moment I arrived home. He wanted his aftermarket saddle back after only 15 miles.

I suspect the little WR250 has a relatively soft factory seat which contributes to the smooth feeling that the harder more stiff TE630 seat does not provide. Purchase a nice Seat Concepts saddle and ride 500 mile days no problem.

Fast1 screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 11:27 AM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #1535
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Speaking of all this...has anybody tried the Tubliss system? I'm thinking of springing for that when I have my first dirt tire replacement due.
I have the Tubliss installed on the front tire of my 610. Seems fine so far, but it is difficult to balance. The rimlock that they introduce weighs something like 5 ounces. I get a pretty vigorous head shake at 65 or so which was not there prior to the Tubliss. Haven't yet caught a flat with it so I can't comment on how easy to work with it is.
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #1536
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
My friend I ride with allready opted for the Seat Concepts saddle on his TE630. We rode 475 miles two weekends ago and during the ride I swapped saddles with him. I almost thought that the tires were not even hitting the ground after riding with the aftermarket seat. I felt like I lost all that road feel that is very notiable with the stock seat. Since It was so plush and smooth I immediatly ordered one the moment I arrived home. He wanted his aftermarket saddle back after only 15 miles.

I suspect the little WR250 has a relatively soft factory seat which contributes to the smooth feeling that the harder more stiff TE630 seat does not provide. Purchase a nice Seat Concepts saddle and ride 500 mile days no problem.
Actually my WR had a Seat Concepts seat... So maybe not so fair in the ass department, but the hands are defintely a problem.

Are the Magura bars different that standard 1 1/8" bars? I see a lot of things for bar end inserts that specifically say they won't work on Husky stock bars. I'm going with rigid bar end mounts for my handguards and wonder now if I will even be able to thread them in.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #1537
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Speaking of all this...has anybody tried the Tubliss system? I'm thinking of springing for that when I have my first dirt tire replacement due.
There is an extensive Tubliss thread here on ADVRider worth reading. The short answer is that folks have had good luck, the system requires a little more attention to tire pressures (the inner tube), and it is still a good idea to bring a backup tube because failures are impossible to repair. The system is specified for rim widths normally found on dirt bikes and off-road use only. The 630's rims may be wider than the design specification and its highway capabilities make using the system a little riskier as a result.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #1538
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,278
My new Husky.

Got about 80 miles on her so far. Named her Mjölnir!

Tom in Salem
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #1539
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Errm... Wheel weights...
I was told by a couple of bike mechanics that putting that much weight on spokes is asking for trouble. And the glue-on ones don't come in large enough denominations...
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1540
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Are the Magura bars different that standard 1 1/8" bars? I see a lot of things for bar end inserts that specifically say they won't work on Husky stock bars. I'm going with rigid bar end mounts for my handguards and wonder now if I will even be able to thread them in.
Not that I'm aware of. I have mounted up both Cycra and Highway Dirt Bikes handguards to my Magura bars without any problems.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #1541
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I have mounted up both Cycra and Highway Dirt Bikes handguards to my Magura bars without any problems.
Good. You tapped the bar ends for the HDB setup?
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #1542
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Went for a little ride today

Sethro

https://www.facebook.com/adventuredriven
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #1543
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
I was told by a couple of bike mechanics that putting that much weight on spokes is asking for trouble. ...
Horsehockey.

Besides, you don't need to fully balance it. If you're 5oz off, add 3oz if that's all you got. Makes a BIG difference.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #1544
EricV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
First off- thanks to those who responded to my inquiry seeking opinions on what to do about carrying tools/supplies. Got what I needed- recommendations on what to go with and what's really helpful are insights such as notching the fender for the bag strap, drill holes/zip tie, etc. Sorry I didn't chime in yesterday...the day at work got wild (as it often does.)

I'm in a position of feeling "forced" to buy a new muffler can sooner rather than later, and please bear w/ me as there's a question at the end of this. :) You see, my right cat is shot at 600 miles...and while this can be replaced under warranty it's not really smart of me to do so. The reason for that is that the dealer (more specifically the iBeat) is 2 hours away from me, so I might as well buy a can now and get the iBeat update done when I go there (as I need to go relatively soon, to have my set up checked out anyway as I average 30-32 mpg.) So, if you see what I mean, I might as well do this all in one trip now, as opposed to going there soon, and then next season going back once a slip on is fitted.

I want the single can to save weight, and as far as I can tell my only option is Bill's FMF. I'm not opposed to that, but was hoping to spend on this at the start of next season.

I know I can gut the cats out of the stock, but to be honest I haven't the tools or the confidence...and as far as I can tell there won't be a significant weight savings.

What I am curious about is if it's even feasible to make the stock set up a single can set up- just gut the left, cut the right off at the fork in the pipe, and then have a welder weld a cover over that hole. Seems to me gutting/keeping both cans creates a.) twice the work for the aesthetic of twin pipes (fine for some just not appealing to me) and b.) doesn't really save much weight- so thinking that perhaps a single stock gutted can set up may be worth the headache to save some money and still get decent performance and heat reduction. I do not care about destroying the stock dual set up to do this as I don't think that not having the stock set up matters to any intelligent used TE630 buyer (should I sell the bike in the future, which I can't imagine doing...I plan to run it for many years to come.)

Thanks folks, I value your opinions-

Eric
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #1545
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Looking at a new 630 and I was wondering what the extra lever above the clutch lever is for? I'm seeing it in many pic.s but cant find anyone talking about it. Comp. release??? Surely not.....