Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #1546
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
What I am curious about is if it's even feasible to make the stock set up a single can set up- just gut the left,
I have been wondering the same thing. Surely somebody must be a muffler expert around here and can chime in on that question...

I wonder if capping the second pipe at the split with a temporary fix would be a way to test the idea? I have the Leo slip-ons, and these cans are generic thumper cans. They sure look like each one can handle the full exhaust flow.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #1547
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Looking at a new 630 and I was wondering what the extra lever above the clutch lever is for? I'm seeing it in many pic.s but cant find anyone talking about it. Comp. release??? Surely not.....
When cold starting the bike, you pull that lever. The manual calls it the "starting device."

Fast idle? Enrichener? Dunno, but my bike starts right up on cold start when I use it.

Tom in Salem
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #1548
Timtim
BadGrandad

Oddometer: 87
Te 310 2009 model

Hi Guys,
Maybe you can help with some input.
Got chance of the 310 te '09.
Have heard good and bad, mostly from unreliable sources. It will be used for tracks and trails, nothing competetive. Looking to have a step up from my xr 250 with perhaps a bit more power low end ?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #1549
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I'm baffled by the lever. I've never seen a fuel injected machine that requires user input to raise the idle for the first few minutes until warm. That is what the freakin' fuel computer is for. I've had six bikes with FI and none of them required anything other than a push of the button before riding away. Maybe there is no water temp sensor input to the ECU so it doesn't know when it is warmed up? Haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #1550
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Horsehockey.

Besides, you don't need to fully balance it. If you're 5oz off, add 3oz if that's all you got. Makes a BIG difference.
I've already got two 1oz spoke weights, and another ounce glued on the rim. Helped a lot -- the bike used to get a bad head shake above 50. Now it is more like 65...
huzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #1551
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey View Post
Good. You tapped the bar ends for the HDB setup?
Yes. HDB supplies the tap with their kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Looking at a new 630 and I was wondering what the extra lever above the clutch lever is for? I'm seeing it in many pic.s but cant find anyone talking about it. Comp. release??? Surely not.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
When cold starting the bike, you pull that lever. The manual calls it the "starting device."

Fast idle? Enrichener? Dunno, but my bike starts right up on cold start when I use it.

Tom in Salem
From what I've heard, the lever just lets more air in just before the throttle body. Essentially, it's like giving it a little throttle while you start it up.

I have never had to hold that lever for longer than it takes to just start the bike. I don't have to sit there and hold it until the bike is warm.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #1552
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
You see, my right cat is shot at 600 miles...and while this can be replaced under warranty it's not really smart of me to do so. Eric
How did you make that determination? Did you dismantle it to determine if the cat has started to come apart?
Did you remove it from the bike and shake it to determine if you have anything loose inside?

photos?
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #1553
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
I'm baffled by the lever. I've never seen a fuel injected machine that requires user input to raise the idle for the first few minutes until warm. .
Pretty common with Husqvarna. My TE510 had the same mechanism although it was located right on the fuel injection system and not as convenient of location as the 630. Not sure why you would worry about such a thing.

I've found it valuable on cold starts if you run your idle speed lower than the recommended 1650 RPM.
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #1554
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
I'm baffled by the lever. I've never seen a fuel injected machine that requires user input to raise the idle for the first few minutes until warm. That is what the freakin' fuel computer is for.
Must be an Italian thing... both my wife's Ducati's had the same "enrichener" lever on their FI systems.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #1555
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Must be an Italian thing... both my wife's Ducati's had the same "enrichener" lever on their FI systems.
That's the second time I've heard Italian associated with this bike. Isn't Husqvarna Swedish?
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #1556
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
That's the second time I've heard Italian associated with this bike. Isn't Husqvarna Swedish?

Not for many years.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #1557
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Isn't Husqvarna Swedish?

No... 100% pure Italian but some Swedish heritage lingers.
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #1558
EricV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
How did you make that determination? Did you dismantle it to determine if the cat has started to come apart?
Did you remove it from the bike and shake it to determine if you have anything loose inside?

photos?
The thing rattles like hell, buzzes and clatters (which noise depends on which RPM's I'm at.) I also get poor gas mileage, which supports the idea that it's likely the cat that's toast. It doesn't really matter if it's the cat, per se, or something else in there...the bottom line is that the right can needs to be replaced.
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #1559
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
The thing rattles like hell, buzzes and clatters (which noise depends on which RPM's I'm at.) I also get poor gas mileage, which supports the idea that it's likely the cat that's toast. It doesn't really matter if it's the cat, per se, or something else in there...the bottom line is that the right can needs to be replaced.

It won't be the source of the poor mileage, the bike doesn't need both pipes to run right.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #1560
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
When the cat goes bad how does it contribute to poor mileage?

Have you removed the can and peered inside it yet with a bright light yet to determine what you see? both ends?

What does the cat look like when you do this?
10 Yamaha FJR 1300

Fast1 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 09:26 PM