Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1561
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
No... 100% pure Italian but some Swedish heritage lingers.
I thought its German
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #1562
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I thought its German
Only financed by the Germans for now... but still designed and built by Italians
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #1563
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Only financed by the Germans for now... but still designed and built by Italians
Still? Not so sure about that unless motorcycle-usa.com is wrong in their reporting. Sure the TE630 is still Italian but collaboration seems to be well on its way...

" During our trip to the factory in Varese, Italy to ride the TE630, Husky reps promised a joint-effort bike very soon, and here it is. Husqvarna reports that the same platform will serve a TXC450 cross country and TE450 dual sport dirt bike."
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/722/67...-Revealed.aspx
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #1564
EricV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
When the cat goes bad how does it contribute to poor mileage?

Have you remove the can and peered inside it yet with a bright light yet to determine what you see? both ends?

What does the cat look like when you do this?
On poor mileage- don't know to be honest....several folks have said that if you have a bad cat it may contribute to poor mileage. You see, the thing has never gotten greater than low 30's mileage wise, so it's gotta go in to have it looked at as there's nothing obvious wrong (runs great, plug looks good, no rolling resistance, etc.) Barring anything else I feel as though the only thing left is to have the dealer take a look to make sure the mapping, etc. is looking as it should. I only mentioned poor mileage as that has been brought up to me (by others and in light of my noisy can), as a sign of a bad cat.

On Have I removed it, peered inside, etc.- I've not, except from the exhaust end and both look the same (like staring at a shiny plug is what it amounts to.) You see, to my way of thinking (right or wrong and please don't misunderstand for I truly appreciate any assistance) the right muffler can is bad. It rattles, vibrates and clatters like hell so it's gotta go. No sense in fixing or replacing an item that should arguably not have found it's way onto such a bike (though I fully get why it has.)

So I guess my point (acknowledging that perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that the input of others- that it's a bad cat- is correct) is that it doesn't really matter what's wrong w/ the can, it's gotta go. If it's gotta go it might as well go sooner rather than later (in case it is affecting the mileage issue, and also b/c I want/need to go to the dealer anyway so might as well put a single on it and get it iBeated in that one visit, as it's 4 hours round trip.) I could have 'em replacethe can under warranty, but again don't wish to make two trips...hence the talk of cutting the issue and just getting the single sooner rather than later.

Now if you're telling me that it's perhaps repairable then perhaps I'll take it off and have a look but still, it seems to me that it's just best to lose the anchor and be done with it. Hell, now you have me curious so tonight I may very well pull it off and have a peek through the inlet end.

Thanks-

Eric
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #1565
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I thought its German
The capital infusion come from Germany assuming BMW keeps its profits in the country.
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #1566
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Eric

two bolts and you can have it off for a look on the entry side which will tell you more than you think about the cat and if it has started to fall apart..

you can shake it and listen also.. Have a look on Cafe Husky at the photos of those that have removed the cat for a better perspective.

for the time it took you to type your last response you could have had it off

You honestly don't think a dealer is just going to warranty it without removing it and looking inside at the cat do you?

If the cat is falling apart it won't look like this and will be clogged or partially blown out

10 Yamaha FJR 1300

Fast1 screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 04:33 PM
Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #1567
EricV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Eric

two bolts and you can have it off for a look on the entry side which will tell you more than you think about the cat and if it has started to fall apart..

you can shake it and listen also.. Have a look on Cafe Husky at the photos of those that have removed the cat for a better perspective.

for the time it took you to type your last response you could have had it off

You honestly don't think a dealer is just going to warranty it without removing it and looking inside at the cat do you?
I think we've gotten off track here. Sorry if I wasn't as succinct as I could have been to begin with. My point has been that it doesn't really matter what's wrong w/ the can...there is obviously something very wrong with it. Am I assuming the dealer will simply swap it out? Not really, but if I wanted to stay w/ the stock set up then yes, they'd either have to fix it or replace it. I've obviously arrived at the conclusion of why bother with it as I am in the camp that feels it's just too wrong for the bike....hence the sooner rather than later approach. I'm perfectly willing to take it off out of curiosity, now, but hadn't fooled with it as work/parenting have been keeping me pretty busy (and again, it's that "it's gotta go so why bother" thing.)
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #1568
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
And the FI system is Japanese. It's on the low-tech end of FI systems; simpler than the fancy German ones. It uses a manual choke in lieu of more elaborate automatic arrangements.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #1569
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
FI... Choke?
Well, the FI version of a choke. Enrich the mixture for a cold motor....can be done by controlling the relevant part of the throttle body with a servo, or with a cable....cable is cheaper and simpler. But mostly cheaper...

Old 08-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #1570
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backmarker View Post
Looking at a new 630 and I was wondering what the extra lever above the clutch lever is for? I'm seeing it in many pic.s but cant find anyone talking about it. Comp. release??? Surely not.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Well, the FI version of a choke. Enrich the mixture for a cold motor....can be done by controlling the relevant part of the throttle body with a servo, or with a cable....cable is cheaper and simpler. But mostly cheaper...
The dealer told me to ignore this lever, which I thought was strange as the logical question was why would it be there if it serves no meaningful purpose? However, the bike starts effortlessly without it on cold mornings, even if it hasn't been started for a week or so. I've have used it a couple of times, just to experiment, & couldn't tell the difference, so don't bother at all with it now.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #1571
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 142
I've used that lever to start mine ever since I picked the bike up. Has always seemed to help on a cold motor. Haven't needed it for a restart.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #1572
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperama View Post
I've used that lever to start mine ever since I picked the bike up. Has always seemed to help on a cold motor. Haven't needed it for a restart.
Yeah. Me, too.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #1573
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
Now if you're telling me that it's perhaps repairable then perhaps I'll take it off and have a look but still, it seems to me that it's just best to lose the anchor and be done with it. Hell, now you have me curious so tonight I may very well pull it off and have a peek through the inlet end.

Thanks-

Eric

and what did you find?

BTW, I never said it was repairable. I'm suggesting that you find out for sure if the exhaust cat is falling apart and not make assumptions that may or may not be correct.
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #1574
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Shock question...

On the TE630, the rebound adjuster is on the left side of the bottom shock mount, tucked up inside the linkage. Very hard to get to. Is there any reason to NOT rotate the bottom mount 180* so the adjuster faces the right side of the bike, where it is easier to access?

One might do this rotation, say, if one inadvertantly re-installed it that way after changing the spring. Not that I would do that...but a "friend of mine" did....

Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1575
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Shock question...

On the TE630, the rebound adjuster is on the left side of the bottom shock mount, tucked up inside the linkage. Very hard to get to. Is there any reason to NOT rotate the bottom mount 180* so the adjuster faces the right side of the bike, where it is easier to access?

One might do this rotation, say, if one inadvertantly re-installed it that way after changing the spring. Not that I would do that...but a "friend of mine" did....
I don't know for sure. I've done just that on mountain bikes without issue. They're a different animal, though. I suppose if I wanted to be extra safe, I'd rotate it, and with the spring removed, move the swingarm through the entire range of motion and make sure everything clears.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote