Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #2896
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
Do you use the MT43 trials tire on asphalt as well? If so, at what psi and how does it corner?
The reason I ask is that I've ran a Dunlop 803 trials on my 450 before and it worked well off road in some places, but was spooky on asphalt, especially in the corners.
Ditto. I've been scared off such tires because I ride a lot of asphalt. How much of the 2500 miles is freeway? I'd LOVE to have a trials-type tire up here in the northwet, but I also ride to work.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #2897
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1 View Post
The MT43 is not a TRUE trials tire. It has a knobby tire sidewall with trials tire tread. No problem on asphalt. I usually run about 13 lbs, but I bet even lower would be no problem on the road. I've run it down the interstate at 75mph for 2 hours with 15 lbs and the tire was barely warm to the touch. A real trials tire would have shredded.
Is this on a TE630?
I'm sold on a MT43 for lighter bikes and will try one next tire on my 2 stroke dirt bike.
However for a 350 lb+ TE I'm not sure.

Concerns:
  • only 4.00 tire width
  • soft 4 ply sidewall, forget about trying to ride back to trailhead on a flat
  • 64P load/speed index. Not terrible but not up to other DS tires. Fully loaded for camping, myself and bike would exceed that rating.
  • Many report less than great results for heavy mud and sand. In Texas we only get one or the other.
  • DOT rated and safe on asphalt but can you really push the turns like some DS knobbies can? Can't imagine hitting the twisties at 60-70mph
  • If you like to power slide not the right tire. Heard tire grips and grips but it falls off the side tread abruptly and without any warning.
So I'd like to hear from someone that has used this tire on a TE630 or other equivalent weight bike and did some street use in twisties and in the rain with it.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #2898
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Is this on a TE630?
I'm sold on a MT43 for lighter bikes and will try one next tire on my 2 stroke dirt bike.

Concerns:
  • only 4.00 tire width
  • soft 4 ply sidewall, forget about trying to ride back to trailhead on a flat
  • 64P load/speed index. Not terrible but not up to other DS tires. Fully loaded for camping, myself and bike would exceed that rating.
  • Many report less than great results for heavy mud and sand. In Texas we only get one or the other.
  • DOT rated and safe on asphalt but can you really push the turns like some DS knobbies can? Can't imagine hitting the twisties at 60-70mph
  • If you like to power slide not the right tire. Heard tire grips and grips but it falls off the side tread abruptly and without any warning.
So I'd like to hear from someone that has used this tire on a TE630 or other equivalent weight bike and did some street use in twisties and in the rain with it.

_
Yep. You're spot on here. It's not the tire for the 630. A few have used them for trail use and like them for that.

Although I have not run one on the big bike, I do have quite a few miles on one with the KTM250. It works stellar for a 230lb dirtbike that mostly sees TST (tight single track). Even then it's a bit squirelly from time to time. For road you really need to run about 25lbs in them to get the rigidity and weight carrying up, and then they're just a rubber donut.

It's not enough tire for the big bike. D606, MT21, T63, all popular and work well although the MT21 is the only full size spec. All wear VERY quickly. The T63 I put on a thousand miles ago works good with everything and looks to be about 70% worn, but it's kinda skinny. If I can get a Motoz Desert HT for DV may try that, all desert running there, very little tar, comes is a full 140 size. Otherwise it looks like the Hiedi K60 will go on next for good mileage and 50/50 terrain, also 140 size.

TKC's wear very fast and are expensive, not as good offroad as the aforementioned tires. There's not much out there left to try for a durable dualsport tire. Oh, the 908...good on the 950's, expensive, and probably too much tire for the TE. Worth a shot though if you have the $$ to throw at one, they're $200.

This has been discussed adnauseum on the owners forum.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #2899
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
I can't complain with the Heidenau K60 I've been using. As stated, lots of info and experiences out there.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #2900
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,821
Has anyone tried a Michelin Desert rear tire on their 630?

I ran the front and was very impressed for an all around tire that provided long term durability. Worked well on the pavement, hard pack/rock, sand and OK in the mud.

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #2901
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,448
Michelin Desert

I think that would be a great $100 tire. For $142 I'm not sure. It is full size, it's the big brother to the T63, same pattern, not sure about the compound. I'm guessing it's a 1500 mile tire as well. Performance should be fine.

The problem with all these tires is that they are FIM racing tires and have short knob height to start with. Other examples are Pirelli Scorpion Rally, the Mitas ED series, and probly a couple of others I've forgotten. They look half worn out when you mount them new. The plus side is the short knobs don't flex as much as a tall knob which makes them feel more stable leaned over on tar.

When they get close to street bike tire prices I want similar durability. A thousand mile tire life is almost laughable. I guess I should say that it IS laughable. Seems to me Fast1 bought my leftover Karoo. The Karoo (T) Traveler that came on the bike was toast at 700 miles, and it's like a $140 tire. Forget that shit. It didn't work very well either, fine for tar but spun a lot on dirt. WTF are they thinking? Metzler has had a pretty good rep over the years too. All the euro bikes used to come with their tires.

What the T63 has going for it is that it's cheap ($63), it hooks up great everywhere, and wears just a hair better than the 606 or 21. But it's skinny, and 1500 miles is still a pretty short tire life.

Buy me a Michelin Desert and I'll try it out for you.

EDIT: BTW, phatperformanceparts.com has a shipment of Motoz tires coming in next month. For $100 I want to try the tractionator desert ht. Full 140, good knob height, natural rubber tires, purported to run 2000-2500 miles, and great hook up. Also said to be slick on wet tar, and shred on dry tar.

browneye screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 07:56 AM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #2902
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Is this on a TE630?

_
I use on my 06 TE610. 15psi, 75 mph on asphalt all day, not a problem. I've never been surprised in the curves either. But of course YMMV. Try it on your 630, if you don't like it, save it for your 2 stroke dirtbike.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #2903
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Michelin comparison chart from their website for whats it worth

For more than two decades, Michelin® Desert™ tires have dominated the Dakar Rally and won virtually every major desert rally in the world many times over. But even if you don’t race across the Sahara, street-legal Desert™ tires are a serious weapon for demanding dual-sport riders.
27 Dakar Rally victories since 1983
Exceptional durability and performance in all conditions have made Michelin® Desert™ tires the unanimous choice of Dakar champions
Heavy-duty construction helps withstand severe punishment, on all types of terrain
Resistant to impacts and cuts, even at high temperatures
Use with Bib Mousse® inserts for virtual invincibility against flats
DOT approved for road use
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #2904
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
What the T63 has going for it is that it's cheap ($63), it hooks up great everywhere, and wears just a hair better than the 606 or 21. But it's skinny, and 1500 miles is still a pretty short tire life.

Buy me a Michelin Desert and I'll try it out for you.
I agree except for the 1,500 mile tire life. My T63 currently has 2,123 miles on it with 4-5mm of tread remaining. That is approx 1/3 of the original tread height. So tire basically gone for any serious off road but I could probably still burn off another 700 miles on pavement/hardpack/gravel safely. However it's coming off next week prior to my Big Bend trip and a new T63 going on. Got two more T63's waiting in the garage. BikeBandit Cyber Monday special + AMA discount, $44 shipped. Wish I would have bought a half dozen more.

Actually now until Feb-21, BikeBandit has 20% off orders > $200. So buy four T63's and you'll get them shipped to your door for only $53 each.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #2905
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yep. You're spot on here. It's not the tire for the 630. A few have used them for trail use and like them for that.

Although I have not run one on the big bike, I do have quite a few miles on one with the KTM250. It works stellar for a 230lb dirtbike that mostly sees TST (tight single track). Even then it's a bit squirelly from time to time. For road you really need to run about 25lbs in them to get the rigidity and weight carrying up, and then they're just a rubber donut.

It's not enough tire for the big bike. D606, MT21, T63, all popular and work well although the MT21 is the only full size spec. All wear VERY quickly. The T63 I put on a thousand miles ago works good with everything and looks to be about 70% worn, but it's kinda skinny. If I can get a Motoz Desert HT for DV may try that, all desert running there, very little tar, comes is a full 140 size. Otherwise it looks like the Hiedi K60 will go on next for good mileage and 50/50 terrain, also 140 size.

TKC's wear very fast and are expensive, not as good offroad as the aforementioned tires. There's not much out there left to try for a durable dualsport tire. Oh, the 908...good on the 950's, expensive, and probably too much tire for the TE. Worth a shot though if you have the $$ to throw at one, they're $200.

This has been discussed adnauseum on the owners forum.
Really - I have run through 4 Pirelli MT 43s with many high speed freeway runs - that on a 2007 TE610 with luggauge. I get about 2500 miles per - have been able to ride out with it flat - it has a stiff sidewall.

Tried the T63 and threw it away before it was wore out - terrible traction - may be OK for flat landers but on the mountains it really sucks.

And by the way the MT 43 does great in sand - Az has as much or more than Texas.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #2906
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Really - I have run through 4 Pirelli MT 43s with many high speed freeway runs - that on a 2007 TE610 with luggauge. .
any photos loaded and in the sand?
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #2907
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
any photos loaded and in the sand?

I have some of my bike loaded up more - in Baja - but they are hard to dig out.

This one is with full saddle bags.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #2908
strongleftleg
Rider on the storm

Oddometer: 126
I ran a MT43 on my 07 te610 for a while. It is an awesome all-round dual sport tire with only 2 drawbacks (in my opinion):

1.)Very difficult to brake slide the rear end or get it loose when power sliding corners. This could be a pro or con.
2.)Doesn't look like a dual sport tire. It's only vanity, and who buys a dual sport for looks, but I like my bike to look aggressive and you need a half decent knobby for that.

Dollar for dollar, taking all terrains, longevity and performance it probably is one of the best dual sport rears.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #2909
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongleftleg View Post
I ran a MT43 on my 07 te610 for a while. It is an awesome all-round dual sport tire with only 2 drawbacks (in my opinion):

1.)Very difficult to brake slide the rear end or get it loose when power sliding corners. This could be a pro or con.
2.)Doesn't look like a dual sport tire. It's only vanity, and who buys a dual sport for looks, but I like my bike to look aggressive and you need a half decent knobby for that.

Dollar for dollar, taking all terrains, longevity and performance it probably is one of the best dual sport rears.
There's that - for pousers
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2910
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

How about some photos of the MT43 on a 630/610 that shows the profile of the tire with normal off road air pressures?

I'd like to see how far you can lay the bike over without going beyond the actual tread. The tread profile on a non-installed tire looks rather flat which would be good for straight-line but could be a disaster when cornering and laying the bike over.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold