Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #3676
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
But where ill be riding this weekend has a lot of sand so I should be ok. Fingers crossed anyway.
Looking good. Run 10-12 psi in the sand. Lower the forks in the triples and/ or increase the rear sag. Keep on the throttle.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #3677
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Looking good. Run 10-12 psi in the sand. Lower the forks in the triples and/ or increase the rear sag. Keep on the throttle.
Yep, sand = throttle. That's about all we have here in NJ and I've been riding in it for a long time. I've got it down pretty good.

Question for you guys......what exactly is different in the 630 forks vs. the 610's that there is an inch less travel? I really would like the 11.8 inches of travel of the 610 vs. the 10.6 that the 630 has. Is it just a spacer or something? Have any of you done this?
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #3678
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Discussed at length early in this thread - first 25 pages or so...

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #3679
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Discussed at length early in this thread - first 25 pages or so...
Thanks. I've searched and have yet to find a specific definitive answer on what's different or what was done to gain the inch back. Do you have the answer or a specific post that contains such answer?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #3680
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Wicked

As an alternative to restoring the 630 fork travel to the 610 standard, I installed the Marzocchi lower compression adjusters. These along with some 5 weight red line suspension fluid with a 100 mm air gap has made a significant improvement for my riding.

Running the least compression, the forks absorb sharp edge hits (roots, stones ect) much better. I also find that the bike handles good size woops much better without the lack of suspension travel I experienced before the change. A friend that owns the same machine took one ride during our last off road stint and immediately ordered the compression adjusters and 5 weight Redline fluid for his 630.. Significant difference from stock but there may be more room for improvement with shim stack re-working. I'm pretty happy at this point and would do the mod again without hesitation.

I was unable to find anything specific regarding where exactly the differences in the fork build exists but I believe it is with the spacers in the cartridge assembly. I did not dis-assemble this part of the fork and saw nothing different with the fork components that were visible to me during the compression adjuster install and fork oil change.

One should consider the change in geometry that might be impacted with the additional front fork suspension travel. IMO I would think wheelies would be easier but the sharpness (rake and trail) of the 630 turning might be compromised especially on hard pack. This might be mitigated by lowering the triples on the forks and setting appropriate rear shock pre-load. I'm not a really much of a suspension pro but these are my opinions based on what I know.

page 301 of the shop manual has a diagram all all front fork componetry..
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #3681
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

edit... forget.. what good is a post without a few photos..

riding single track with my girlfriend on the back.. if you haven't tried it.. guarantee it will be a challenge. We did about 100 miles of dirt riding that day.

in supermoto trim the weekend before

and her white SM630.. she is still regulated to pavement skill building .. She keeps asking me when I'm going to put her woofer (FMF single can) on..

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold

Fast1 screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 11:47 AM
Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #3682
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Can I complain out loud? It's 100 F or so outside, hotter in the garage, and I've been sitting looking at the 630 for the past hour trying to gear up for some work that it needs. I have 2 1/2 weeks before taking off for 2 1/2 months of riding, and I thought I was almost ready to go. Nope. Front forks leaking again and several rounds with a SealMate haven't done any good. Looks like I will need to pull the forks and have new seals put in.

Second, I forgot about my intermediate shock spring that is sitting on the counter. The stock rear is too much, and the one I have on the bike now is a little soft for full on adventure riding with gear, although it was passable last summer. Getting that shock out is just a ..... well, you know. Have to pull or tilt the rear sub-frame and I just finished installing my rear racks. I mean, JUST finished. Maybe it will tilt with them on.... Some have said that the shock can be fished out from the bottom if you remove the swing arm, but it sure doesn't look like it will come out of there without removing the exhaust, and racks. And then, maybe it will be OK for this summer again.

Oh well, no response needed, I'm just mumbling to myself because I still have to finish a remodel of the house, inprogress, and get the TR650 ready, finish some work on the Jeep, gather gear and pack, etc. I think I will go back outside and stare at the bikes and see if it does any good.....
Blaise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3683
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Thanks for info Fast1. I think I'll try a fluid change and look into getting the adjuster as well. However, I still would like the extra travel.

I did take the bike out today for my first dirt ride. My initial impression is that suspension was pretty decent. I did bottom out the front end and the tire ate the front SM fender that is on it. I think the previous owner put it on or bought it that way. Either way, I'm going to need a new fender at some point. Also, the right side panel came off and I had to zip tie it in place. The little rubber bushing that the side panel goes into went MIA. I was starting to wonder if it was normal for Husky's to start spitting parts throughout the woods.

Anyway, I really liked the 630. I rode 50 miles of street, 40-50 miles of dirt and then rode 50 miles home. It was a comfortable ride on the road and had plenty of power.(Unlike the WRR) Although, sometimes I felt it had to much power in the dirt. I would just spin the back tire and not go anywhere. But I think that's more me needing the adjust my riding style. Also, I did feel the weight at certain times and it took a bit more muscle to get it to do what I wanted. But that's to be expected and I knew that when I bought it. We'll see how much that weight comes into play tomorrow when I take it on some single track. I'm sure I'm in for a workout.

Here are some pics from today:

Broken fender

Old railroad bridge

onetravdown screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 12:56 PM
Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #3684
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
Can I complain out loud? It's 100 F or so outside, hotter in the garage, and I've been sitting looking at the 630 for the past hour trying to gear up for some work that it needs. I have 2 1/2 weeks before taking off for 2 1/2 months of riding, and I thought I was almost ready to go. Nope. Front forks leaking again and several rounds with a SealMate haven't done any good. Looks like I will need to pull the forks and have new seals put in.

Second, I forgot about my intermediate shock spring that is sitting on the counter. The stock rear is too much, and the one I have on the bike now is a little soft for full on adventure riding with gear, although it was passable last summer. Getting that shock out is just a ..... well, you know. Have to pull or tilt the rear sub-frame and I just finished installing my rear racks. I mean, JUST finished. Maybe it will tilt with them on.... Some have said that the shock can be fished out from the bottom if you remove the swing arm, but it sure doesn't look like it will come out of there without removing the exhaust, and racks. And then, maybe it will be OK for this summer again.

Oh well, no response needed, I'm just mumbling to myself because I still have to finish a remodel of the house, inprogress, and get the TR650 ready, finish some work on the Jeep, gather gear and pack, etc. I think I will go back outside and stare at the bikes and see if it does any good.....
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #3685
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Two lower bolts out of the sub-frame will let you tilt everything up and out of the way to remove the shock . I recommend removing the battery.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #3686
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Two lower bolts out of the sub-frame will let you tilt everything up and out of the way to remove the shock . I recommend removing the battery.
Most excellent! I was looking at it and thinking that tilting down wouldn't do it. Tomorrow it's out with the wrenches and up with the sub-frame! There is a Race Tech shop in town and I'll take the forks to them for new seals. In my experience, and from others, seals generally don't "fail", they just get dirty and leak, but I just can't seem to get what ever is in there out, and I probably need to add some oil by now.

Thanks John!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #3687
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
The compression adjusters and a re-valve have done wonders for my bike. I will be going to a stiffer spring, though.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #3688
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Yep, I had Les at LT Racing do front and back, and had him increase my front travel by that lost inch while he was at it. Big difference all around. For some reason though the 630 seems more sensitive to the rear spring rate than my Yamaha, but perhaps that one is just over-sprung. The stock 630 had very little rider sag, where now it's perfect (without gear). I forget the numbers, but I'm bumping up two notches on the rear to account for full saddle bags and duffel, plus a gallon of gas in a Rotopax.

I love my 630, especially now that it is sporting a PC-V, FMF single and Shorai battery. Twenty pounds right off the top!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #3689
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
For some reason though the 630 seems more sensitive to the rear spring rate than my Yamaha, but perhaps that one is just over-sprung.

Did Husky lower the back of the 630 with a shorter shock or a different link than the 610?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #3690
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Did Husky lower the back of the 630 with a shorter shock or a different link than the 610?
I am pretty sure they dropped it 1" front and back. Les at LTR said that he could get the 1" back, but that it would take some machining. I elected to leave it alone and raise the forks a bit in the tripple clamps. I don't know if the shock was made shorter, or if the linkage was modified to lower the bike.