Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #3691
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
I don't know if the shock was made shorter, or if the linkage was modified to lower the bike.

I was curious...compared part numbers. The 610 linkage is the same as the 630, links and rocker. The shocks have different part numbers, that's how they lowered it, no wonder they bumped the price up...shocks are expensive. Cheapest way to get that inch back is with shorter links, probably half an inch shorter would get the bike up to the 610 ride height.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #3692
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
I love my 630, especially now that it is sporting a PC-V, FMF single and Shorai battery. Twenty pounds right off the top!

Keep a note of this Ken, I'm sure by next year I'll want to copy your suspension setup.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #3693
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
Keep a note of this Ken, I'm sure by next year I'll want to copy your suspension setup.
Absolutely. Is it time for DV yet?
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #3694
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I was curious...compared part numbers. The 610 linkage is the same as the 630, links and rocker. The shocks have different part numbers, that's how they lowered it, no wonder they bumped the price up...shocks are expensive. Cheapest way to get that inch back is with shorter links, probably half an inch shorter would get the bike up to the 610 ride height.
Don't the specs for each indicate the same rear travel and slightly less for front travel? I believe the rake and trail are different in the specs also.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #3695
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
Don't the specs for each indicate the same rear travel and slightly less for front travel? I believe the rake and trail are different in the specs also.

front ....270 mm
rear......320 mm

front...........11.8 / 300mm
rear...........12.6 / 320mm
Old 06-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #3696
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S View Post

front ....270 mm
rear......320 mm

front...........11.8 / 300mm
rear...........12.6 / 320mm

Interesting...thanks for that!!
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #3697
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 895
So I took the 630 on a single track ride today. While the ride didn't start out great and I almost put myself into a tree (5:22), I thought it did OK. It's big, heavy and geared way to high for this type of riding. But it's good to know that it can do it when I feel like pretending I'm an enduro racer and need a work out.

onetravdown screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 01:55 PM
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #3698
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:

and her white SM630.. she is still regulated to pavement skill building .. She keeps asking me when I'm going to put her woofer (FMF single can) on..

Kind of a tangent but I'm curious why you're starting her with pavement skill building... don't want to miss something important.

I'm trying to teach my wife to ride but having her focus on off road skills first. My thinking was that riding off much of her increased skills/familiarity with the bike would transfer to road riding but the consequences aren't so high if she falls/has an accident.
I'm asking though cuz I've never taught anyone before!

Great looking bikes and girlfriend by the way!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #3699
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I'm trying to teach my wife to ride but having her focus on off road skills first. My thinking was that riding off much of her increased skills/familiarity with the bike would transfer to road riding but the consequences aren't so high if she falls/has an accident.
Sound logic. Offroad is much more forgiving. The boys that rode dirtbikes as a youth easily transfer those skills to the road, but those that started later on the road are at a real disadvantage learning dirt. They are very different, but bike control skills are similar. On road is VERY unforgiving. A minor crash offroad might result in a bruise or two, maybe a broken bone or bike part. An on road crash can be deadly. The people driving cars are the scary part.

IMO you're on the right track.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #3700
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Sound logic. Offroad is much more forgiving. The boys that rode dirtbikes as a youth easily transfer those skills to the road, but those that started later on the road are at a real disadvantage learning dirt. They are very different, but bike control skills are similar.
Agreed. One of the biggest advantages for me when I started riding street was not being afraid of bike movement. When you ride off road the bike moves underneath you all of the time. It becomes normal and acceptable. But once that pavement comes into play and you're on a street bike, any bike movement becomes unsettling to someone that isn't familiar with that feel. There have been countless times when I've been in a turn/making a turn and hit some sort of substance or lost traction that caused the bike to slide. I firmly believe that because of my dirt skills that I'm able to adjust and ride through it. I have friends that have not been able to do that. The sliding or bike movement makes them panic and they end up on the ground.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #3701
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
You all have sound advise but it does not fit the full equation for my circumstances.

I started in the dirt at a very early age, 9 or 10, and by 15 was winning 125cc MX races so I know how crucial the dirt skills can be. Pavement after dirt is hardly even riding in comparison.

However, none of you are 5.5" tall and weigh a fragile 120lbs. Try spending your entire first few days on a motorcycle you can't even touch the ground on riding it in the dirt. Right now, she needs to develop the same skills that were taught during the motorcycle endorsement, only on something other than a 250cc flyweight with a 26" saddle height. She has only spent time in large parking lots (notice the photo) learning braking, turning and the clutch and she won't be mixing it up in everyday commuting traffic or city congestion. I will trailer the bike to remote country roads for her when she is proficient enough.

I'm taking a different approach for the dirt aspect first and that is coming from a mountain bike that I purchased for her to develop the skills on single track and dirt roads at a more sedate speed with allot less weight. That has been enough of a challenge for her and the motorized bike will be down the road, if the skills on the mountain bike support it. She went over the handlebars on the MTB once on a steep downhill and I'm glad it wasn't on a enduro. When she develops enough skill on the MTB to ride "clipped in" I'll think about a lowered WR250 for her but that is a ways off.

Say what you want but I plan on continuing with the plan I formulated unless someone wants to supply me with a new enduro, health coverage and any associated lost income for her due to a mishap to change my mind.

However don't let me stop any of you from posting photos of your wife or SO riding dirt her first few rides on a 37" saddle height dirt bike.

One thing that I think would help is to take your wife or girlfriend on a dirt ride/single track and let them get the feel of what is required for balance, clutch, braking ect.. a plus it that it will develop your skill level if and when you might need to get someone out of the woods that has an issue with their bike or is too injured to ride.

Fast1 screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 02:00 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3702
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Quote:
Say what you want but I plan on continuing with the plan I formulated unless someone wants to supply a new enduro, health coverage and any associated lost income for her due to a mishap to change my mind.

However don't let me stop any of you from posting photos of your wife or SO riding dirt her first few rides on a 37" saddle height dirt bike.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan. You should do whatever your situation warrants. As far as pics, my wife doesn't ride. Bummer for me. But you just keep posting pics of your GF.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #3703
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan. You should do whatever your situation warrants. As far as pics, my wife doesn't ride. Bummer for me. But you just keep posting pics of your GF.

+1

I was definitely speaking in more general terms - certainly not for anyone's particular situation. IIRC the question was about brand new learning on the street. My son got his MC endorsement at 17 but still hasn't ridden on the street. I think it's just too dangerous here in southern CA. 20-million cars here, and he's a great rider, very fast offroad. They have no fear at that age.

Wifey started to ride a CRF230 and I could see that was going to end in disaster so I told her no way. She said she was just doing it for me anyway. That's a pretty silly reason to learn to ride so no more. She enjoys coming along on the back though and that was one of the reasons to trade up to the XC.

Good luck and be safe.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #3704
TheSlim
n00b

Oddometer: 8
First post!

I've been looking for a good first dual sport, and the TE630 is on the top of the list, as is the TR650 Terra, the KTM 690 (too much moolah) and the DRZ400 as the fall back.

I've found a used TE630 with 3500 miles with a few minor scrapes (no biggie I'm a new rider, and I'm going to drop this thing) for $6000. It has a few upgrades like engine guard and upgraded foot pegs, nothing major.

Is this a decent price? I know this bike listed for $8999 at one point, but was then discounted to $6500 for a time... If that's the case, $6k for a slightly used with a few bumps and scrapes and no warranty does't sound like a very good deal.

I have exactly ONE Husky dealer in my area. They get above average reviews.

Makes me a little nervous!

I know it'd be a great bike for me though, as I want to do 50/50 with some long highway trips thrown in on occasion... I'm a newb, so I'm not going to be ripping it up off road, just cruising easy jeep trails and fire roads looking for photographic opportunities...
TheSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #3705
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Some leftovers sold as low as $5995. They are long
gone and if you want one you gotta pay or get a DRZ.
Check Nada to get an idea of what dealers are getting
for used ones.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote