Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3706
TheSlim
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Well, looks like "low retail" is around $5.7k, which isn't far off that price. Guess I'll go look at it tomorrow and haggle a bit. Won't be disappointed if it ends up in my garage!

Thx for the opinion.
TheSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #3707
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlim View Post
First post!

I've been looking for a good first dual sport, and the TE630 is on the top of the list, as is the TR650 Terra, the KTM 690 (too much moolah) and the DRZ400 as the fall back.

I've found a used TE630 with 3500 miles with a few minor scrapes (no biggie I'm a new rider, and I'm going to drop this thing) for $6000. It has a few upgrades like engine guard and upgraded foot pegs, nothing major.

Is this a decent price? I know this bike listed for $8999 at one point, but was then discounted to $6500 for a time... If that's the case, $6k for a slightly used with a few bumps and scrapes and no warranty does't sound like a very good deal.

I have exactly ONE Husky dealer in my area. They get above average reviews.

Makes me a little nervous!

I know it'd be a great bike for me though, as I want to do 50/50 with some long highway trips thrown in on occasion... I'm a newb, so I'm not going to be ripping it up off road, just cruising easy jeep trails and fire roads looking for photographic opportunities...
Where are you located?
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #3708
TheSlim
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Where are you located?
We're bookends to the country. South East here.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #3709
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
We're bookends to the country. South East here.
The 630 has been pretty rock solid and very enjoyable. I may be a little hard on her at times, but I'm impressed for what the bike is.
Good luck on picking up a 630!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #3710
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Don't sweat the dealer. The nearest one to me is about 500 miles away.

If I need parts, I order them from Hall's Cycles. I do the wrenching myself.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #3711
TheSlim
n00b

I'm a decent wrench (on cars and bicycles at least!), and I plan to work on the bike myself for the most part.

I am more nervous about parts availability and lack of warranty. Over on HuskyCafe there's a thread on the front page that documents multiple people grenading third gear, and that parts are not forthcoming from Husky. I assume people with this issue are wheelieing their bikes at every opportunity, doing clutchless shifts, banging gears. However, the issue of parts availability has me nervous.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #3712
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
I'm a decent wrench (on cars and bicycles at least!), and I plan to work on the bike myself for the most part.

I am more nervous about parts availability and lack of warranty. Over on HuskyCafe there's a thread on the front page that documents multiple people grenading third gear, and that parts are not forthcoming from Husky. I assume people with this issue are wheelieing their bikes at every opportunity, doing clutchless shifts, banging gears. However, the issue of parts availability has me nervous.

You mean this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/ok-...rd-gear.32764/

And how do you get "Over on HuskyCafe there's a thread on the front page that documents multiple people grenading third gear, and that parts are not forthcoming from Husky." from that thread?
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #3713
TheSlim
n00b

No, it was this thread....

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te6...rd-gear.32544/

One guy reports the problem, multiple others pipe in...

But your link adds to the trepidation...

This bike looks great on paper, but I don't want a unicorn that has no parts support.

TheSlim screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 08:28 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #3714
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

12,000 miles on mine. 3rd gear still works fine. :)

You've got 4 people in that thread with gear problems. How many 630 owners are on that forum?

One of them admits to lots of wheelies and clutchless shifting while wheelieing. Not really surprised he's having problems!

jtemple screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:16 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #3715
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
very few have that issue.. many more (close to 99.9%) have never had any 3rd gear issues. I'd bet most are caused by bent shift forks from shifting without the clutch. I'd be more worried about the clutch spring cups wearing which a much larger percentage of owners experience at higher mileage but there is a relatively cheap fix with replacements.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #3716
TheSlim
n00b

I'm well aware that I won't likely encounter a 3rd gear implosion.

What of the lack of parts support? Guys with bikes sidelined for months waiting for parts? THAT is what has me nervous, not the dang 3rd gear!!!

Plus, it's straight cut dog box right? Clutchless shifts should be fine really. Are they making these gears out of pot metal?

Then, there's the clutch washer thread...

Jeez.

I really want to pull the trigger on this bike, but at this point I'm leaning toward just plonking down the moolah for the KTM...

TheSlim screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 09:26 PM
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #3717
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Which KTM?
The comparable model is the 690. You're not going to get one of those for the price of a 630. And frankly, I think the 630 is a better bike, having owned mine for two years now and 6K miles. Some pretty hard miles too, carrying a lot of gear. I know of at least a couple of dozen owners have used my subframe templates to reinforce theirs for hauling gear. There are probably more worldwide.

The bike has been absolutely flawless. However I have not had to buy any parts for it. Well, except I just installed a new lower steering stem bearing - Malcolm Smiths had one in stock - $20. KTM now owns Husqvarna, they just moved the parts depot. I can't say there might not be delays in parts right now, even some things could be hard to get. But there will always be parts support going forward, the husky brand isn't going anywhere.

The 690 is a little higher performance machine, a bump in HP and more capable suspension. But the owners bitch about the close ratio gearbox, the motor hangs down without a frame, it's even taller than the TE, and they have been plagued with EFI and electrical problems - way more issues than anything with the 630.

I guess you just have to pick yer poison.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3718
TheSlim
n00b

Browneye, great response. Yes, the 690 obviously.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #3719
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

I made myself some of browneye's subframe brackets and installed Indy Unlimited's clutch spring cups.

The longest I have had to wait for parts from Hall's was about a week. That was a pretty substantial order; consisting of everything needed to replace my cam chain, gear, sliders, etc.

I have never had more problems in so few miles on any bike, until I got the 630. I didn't have any major failures, but I did have several nagging issues that required warranty parts.

I love my 630 and I'm glad I have it. But, to be totally honest, sometimes I wish I had a bike that I could just ride and not worry about (like a WR250R). However, that's less of a concern now that I have a second bike for street duty. The 630, for the riding I do, was not the best choice for me as an only bike. I'd be replacing the cam chain every year. Who knows how often I'd have to rebuild the top end. Now that I have another bike, I probably won't get that far for quite a long time.

That said, it sure makes me feel like a kid every time I get on it. I'm not sure a WR250R would.

jtemple screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 07:34 AM
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #3720
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 949
3200 miles on mine in the last year, have done nothing but oil changes. It has taken me to some beautiful places, effortlessly carrying all my stuff. I use it like an ultra lightweight GS so don't ride as hard as some.

I'd offer them $5000-5500 for a clean 630 w/ 3K miles.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote