Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #3736
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,484
It's up to the task, dependable as a goat. I'm not sure I would want to ride it all those miles on road though. Lots of people ride the smaller bikes great distances, so it's do-able.

I came from the dirtbike side of things, so the 630 to me is a BIG dirt bike, and I use it that way. It's strength is in dirt road and 2-track trails. It loves 65 on gravel roads, handles like a dream, great suspension, quite comfortable for a lot of miles. When we made our return leg from Grand Canyon north rim we did about 130 mile of high speed dirt roads and about 50 miles of hiway. It was hot, so I was pretty beat when we got in, and the bike is fine for that. Then the trails get rough, rocky, and gnarly, it's in it's element. The guys on big bikes have to slow down, and they get worn out. The TE just tears it up.

A year after I got my 630 I went looking for a replacement for my Kawasaki Versys road bike, something more adventure oriented. Looked hard at GS and GSA, 990, Tenere, Stelvio, and bought a Tiger 800 XC. It's heavy so it's a handful off pavement, but it eats BIG miles comfortably, 400 miles in a day equals 200 on the husky. With the right tires it will do all the dirt roads the husky will. For big miles it's my go-to bike.

BC interior and SE AK are on my trip list as well. Stage north of Seattle (I have relatives there) ride Van'Isle to the tip, BC ferry to Prince Rupert, SE AK, Stewart, Hyder, then on to BC. The bike I choose for such a trip would determine my target terrain and route. Also depends on whether I have co-riders. If we took big bikes it would be smooth roads and hiway, take the roads to St. George and ride south through BC interior. If the husky goes, it would be trail riding in the Chilcoten mountains, getting into the backwoods of the province. Either way, my flyrod would go.

The Tiger carries gear MUCH easier than the Husky. Both are setup for camping off the bike. But when the Tiger goes I have a bigger tent and sleeping pad, more luxury amenities. On the husky it's bare-bones, super lightweight backpack gear. Pelican boxes on the Tiger, Dirtbagz on the TE. The Tiger is much more comfortable on the road and will cruise fully loaded at virtually any speed you dare. My comfort zone is 75-90. I seem to like about 85-90 as that's what I get stopped for by the popo. One ticket already. The husky will cruise at 70, (I have a 15T counter) but it's nothing like the Tiger. When I have big miles to do it's the Tiger that goes. Of note, I have have had the TE up to 90. It shakes like a paint-mixer and is screaming it's guts out, tires are weaving all over the place...but it will do it.

To give you an idea of how I use them, consider I got the husky a year before the Tiger - now 2 years on the former, 1 year today on the Tiger. I have 5600 miles on the Husky, 6600 miles on the Tiger. That's why I say, the Tiger is my go to for big miles - more than twice as many miles.

The Tiger is also my commuter and around town bike. It is so much more refined than the Husky. If I had to get back to one bike though, the Tiger would probly have to go. It cost twice as much as the husky, and the husky is more verstile. Lighter weight and great performance. Just know it's a big dirtbike though.

2011 TE630

2012 Triumph Tiger XC

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #3737
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 506
Anybody making a rally fairing for the 630? I know lynx makes a nice unit, but not a full rally style front. Love that rally look

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #3738
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Nope. Those of us who follow the TE610/630 have asked that question many times. Not enough units produced; not enough demand - although someone has probably made their own.

Also, Rally fairings are for high speed, open desert riding. They can get in the way in a hurry in the woods.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #3739
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Also, Rally fairings are for high speed, open desert riding. They can get in the way in a hurry in the woods.
Or for a great combo for do it all bike that covers every type of terrain.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #3740
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Oh, I agree! I've wanted KTM to put the 690 motor straight into the 640 Adventure since the day it came out!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #3741
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Not the 630, but I commuted my 610 320 miles a day for a while and often did 300 plus dirt road / multiuse trail days.

The 610 is happy at 75 mph, or even 80+.

A few sensible mods make things much better. Aftermarket saddle Renazco on mine), decent lights (I put on a Baja Designs Tecate HID), a screen (old BMW Funduro screen bolted to the Tecate), GPS, IMS 5 gallon tank, heated vest outlet, PMB rack / saddlebag protectors made it much more livable. Much of the same applies to the 630.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #3742
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 596
In my opinion you are describing a need for 2 bikes. For the TAT the TE630 would be great bike (I haven't ridden the TAT but I have ridden both the OBDR and the WABDR), the TE630 was a great bike for both. For Alaska, I would not take my TE630 unless I intended to ride off-pavement for the majoity of the trip and had a very dependable breakdown contingency plan in place (and a whole lot more time that you are going to have with a2 very young kids!).

For Alaska, your GSA would be a way better bike, particularly with all the pavement pounding you would be looking at.

I have both a TE630 and a R1150GS, great tools for different jobs. If I was forced to keep only one....it would be the GS.

S1
Full disclosure...I haven't actually been to Alaska either.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
Thinking about picking up a TE630 to replace my GSA, actually trading the GSA for the TE...maybe. I really miss the single and my 690, just want something more reliable. I started a thread in Thumpers about finding a thumper as I prefer the ride and experience over the GSA. Have a little boy, 17 months old, and a little girl that will arrive in Sept. so I wont be doing 12-14k miles a year anymore. However, there are plans for Alaska, from GA and back, TAT, CDT and baja as well as 1k mile weekend trips here and there. Is the TE630 up to the task of all of these trips? Ive done some reading here and at Cafe Husky about beefing up the sub frame, Safari tank and some wind protection. Looking for something like this to be bullet proof, as the 690 was a PIA in this department, I dont expect it to be bullet proof without the proper maintenance. Just be able to take me out and bring me back home again. Alaska trip will be around 12k miles roundtrip of mixed road types. Will the TE be up to the task?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #3743
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Anybody have info on the CJ, subframe braces mentioned earlier? Any help would be appreciated.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #3744
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Anybody have info on the CJ, subframe braces mentioned earlier? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/te-...ame-mod.22225/
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #3745
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
In my opinion you are describing a need for 2 bikes. For the TAT the TE630 would be great bike (I haven't ridden the TAT but I have ridden both the OBDR and the WABDR), the TE630 was a great bike for both. For Alaska, I would not take my TE630 unless I intended to ride off-pavement for the majoity of the trip and had a very dependable breakdown contingency plan in place (and a whole lot more time that you are going to have with a2 very young kids!).

For Alaska, your GSA would be a way better bike, particularly with all the pavement pounding you would be looking at.

I have both a TE630 and a R1150GS, great tools for different jobs. If I was forced to keep only one....it would be the GS.

S1
Full disclosure...I haven't actually been to Alaska either.....
I dont see the 630 as much different than other singles and I hate to say it, but much different than a KLR. Reliable, some what comfortable. Except the TE has FI, way more power, better suspension and brakes. No reason I should be able to ride it all over the planet with a few mods. I can only have one bike, at this time, and the 630 seems to fit my needs well. The problem is now selling the GSA and finding one. There was one somewhat locally that was picked up before I could get there.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #3746
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
I dont see the 630 as much different than other singles and I hate to say it, but much different than a KLR.
>snip
Consider riding the two side by side before making such a comparison.

The biggest difference is the 100lbs of weight disparity. One has 35hp, the other 50. And it's not the heavier one with more power.

I know...you knew this was coming when you posted it, right???
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #3747
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
I dont see the 630 as much different than other singles and I hate to say it, but much different than a KLR.
You do realize I wasn't comparing a TE to a KLR right? If you think the TE is better suited to your needs then by all means go for it. They are certainly good fun bikes, but for longer trips my GS is my tool of choice.
S1
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #3748
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Yeah, I would keep the GS and add the TE. Covers more usage. The GS for long road trips, the TE for dualsport adventures. Again, the TE is a BIG dirtbike. It's not nearly as road worthy as a GS, or any other large displacement road-going motorbike.

I'd like to have a GS1150 or even an earlier model, just for the fun of it. I think they're cool old bikes.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #3749
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Thanks
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #3750
Littlehandegan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Wanting to replace my metzlers for a more street friendly tire, think Shinko 705

What sizes should i be shopping for??

Thanks!
Littlehandegan is offline   Reply With Quote