Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #3826
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Riding through a valley in Lesotho (mountain kingdom landlocked in South Africa) on 630:

Xpat........great videos!!!!

We have a small community here compared to other bikes but its always special to see 630 Badass's at work!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #3827
Xpat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
630 in Africa

Another video from my trip through Kaokoland in Namibia. This time its desert riding, however I have still encountered quite a few wildlife in the dry river beds. The elephants are very aggressive towards bikes so I had to keep my momentum in the sand and could not stop for static videos/pictures - so most of them are on the fly.

Xpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #3828
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Very cool! The music too.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #3829
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Haha, I've been reading this thread from the first post and finally reach the last page of this thread

Xpat, that's a great ride and videos. Love them. I can see myself being chased by a dog on the road or watch out for dogs ... but elephant... whoa

I don't have a TE630 yet... but there's a TE 630 that I want to buy. A new 2011 TE630, it's a leftover and the dealer is having a promo sale. I read the whole thread to see if there's a hidden problem with TE630, aparently there's no problem with the bike. Looks like it's one solid bike with no major problem.

bob
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #3830
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
Haha, I've been reading this thread from the first post and finally reach the last page of this thread

Xpat, that's a great ride and videos. Love them. I can see myself being chased by a dog on the road or watch out for dogs ... but elephant... whoa

I don't have a TE630 yet... but there's a TE 630 that I want to buy. A new 2011 TE630, it's a leftover and the dealer is having a promo sale. I read the whole thread to see if there's a hidden problem with TE630, aparently there's no problem with the bike. Looks like it's one solid bike with no major problem.

bob
Good find!
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #3831
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
New leftover???

Yeah, jump on it if you're looking for a large dualsport. The 630 was the last of the italian built motors and it's a peach. Easy to get more than 50hp out of it and 6 wide gears, hydraulic clutch. It's been said it's the best dualsport ever made.

I've actually gotten some singletrack in on mine and as long as it isn't mountainbike terrain it does surprisingly well. You just have to get used to the extra weight to heft around. The it will run 75 down the hiway with a full load.

Just know you'll have to beef up the subframe if you're going to haul ANY gear on it - the aluminum works was not designed for any weight and will crack.

Otherwise the bike is extremely solid and dependable - all top-shelf components and an excellent design.

It needs the PU mod done upon delivery - they are leaned way out to meet emission requirements and don't run worth a crap out of the crate. This is also why they are no more - can't get that motor to be clean enough. It's sure a powerhouse though.

CafeHusky is the real home for the marque.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #3832
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Quote:

bob
Great bike..........plus you get people that will ask you questions like; "I didn't know Husqvarna was still making bikes?" or "Is that a new company?" or "Is that a new Honda?" or "I thought Husqvarna stop selling bikes in the 80's?!"
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #3833
Xpat
Adventurer

Quote:

bob
Thanks. Never been to Indonesia (on my list) but I've seen quite a few elephants in South East Asia (India, Thailand, Kambodia) - don't you have them in Indonesia?

As Browneye said - you need to beef up subframe (he has thread on Cafehusky how to do it). I have had external steel one made for the bags and it works fine. Actually the last day in Kaokoland - in that Huarusib video right about where I've met that Oryx I found out that my bottom left subframe bolt (which for me holds both standard aluminium subframe as well as the steel brackets) broke - it was probably broken for quite a while by that time. I've bush-fixed it with lots of cable ties and made it safely out through another 60 km of riverbed, sand and elephants. I wanted to go slow afterwards, but somehow did not manage and I'm sure I squeezed in few impromptu jumps. And nothing more broke on the subframe which is quite amazing as I was carrying for hundreds of km of quite tough terrain about 25 - 30 kg of luggage. I had to carry 10 litres of petrol in the bags on top of the 25 litres in the tank and about 6-9 litres of water + all the tools spare tubes, camping gear including tent, some canned food and some clothes - very little of that.

At home I also found out that my fuel pump packed up - however somehow I've made it through 100 of km of wilderness with it broken - I just remembered that sometimes it took 2 - 3 tries to start the bike. So obviously something to think about, but somehow it did not left me stranded, which I still don't get and am very grateful for as there are actually lions, leopards and hyenas in that riverbed.

Otherwise PU kit is must just to get bike run as it should, and then you can take it from there for power - I have Arrows (too loud for my and elephants liking - even though Euro approved), racing ECU that came with it, JD Tuner and drilled airbox with EHS filter.

Altogether very happy with the bike - I think it is the best tool for the kind of trips you can see in the videos. The only other one if you have some sporting ambitions on your adventure trips in KTM690 and I personally would not take that one for these trips if I'm going solo - as I was doing, as I would be too worried about reliability (and constantly annoyed by its silly close ratio gearbox).
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #3834
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Y'all need to have a couple of spare lower subframe mounting bolts in your spares. A tip over can bend or break them. Not hardened ones either, just standard 8.8's

Same for footpeg bolts. Have a spare or two - they've been known to break. Locktite them in, subframe bolts too, as any loosening can cause them to bend or break.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #3835
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Chris, yes it's a new leftover. I was told that there are three leftovers in Indonesia: one in Kalimantan, one in East Java and one in Jakarta.

I think it's always been there in the showroom since I first visited the dealership when I was looking at a TR650 ... but I think they didn't sell the TE630 at a big discount until recently. They call it a "promo" sale and I happened to be the first guy who heard about this promo

Yes Chris I'm also a member at the cafe husky, though I've only been posting there twice I guess I also have read you sub-frame modification thread.. thanks for that

Xpat, yes there are elephants in Indonesia but only in the Island of Sumatera not in Java where I live. Even there, they live in the forest though sometimes there are reports of elephants crossing the trans sumatera highway.

Sumatera is one place that I want to ride to someday... In fact it's the main reason why I want to buy a bike that's capable of bad road condition. Maybe I get to see those elephants crossing the road someday
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #3836
Xpat
Adventurer

Quote:

Xpat, yes there are elephants in Indonesia but only in the Island of Sumatera not in Java where I live. Even there, they live in the forest though sometimes there are reports of elephants crossing the trans sumatera highway.

Sumatera is one place that I want to ride to someday... In fact it's the main reason why I want to buy a bike that's capable of bad road condition. Maybe I get to see those elephants crossing the road someday
Why don't you just take little ride along Equator accross Kalimatan . Like so:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918

However 630 would be definitely too heavy for that .
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #3837
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Chris, yes it's a new leftover. I was told that there are three leftovers in Indonesia: one in Kalimantan, one in East Java and one in Jakarta.

I think it's always been there in the showroom since I first visited the dealership when I was looking at a TR650 ... but I think they didn't sell the TE630 at a big discount until recently. They call it a "promo" sale and I happened to be the first guy who heard about this promo

Yes Chris I'm also a member at the cafe husky, though I've only been posting there twice I guess I also have read you sub-frame modification thread.. thanks for that

Let us know what you decide.

The TR is a good looking bike. But you need to know that it's 40lbs heavier than the TE with 2" of reduced suspension travel. And a 5 speed although no one seems to complain about the gear spread on the TR, but then I don't read the owners threads. It's definitely a beemer-ized Husky. The TE is piggy enough for trails. For groommed 2-track they're both fine.

Some have said the TR is better on road but I'm at a loss as to why or how that could be. IMO that's just tires. The TE needs Lendon's Seat Concepts seat to be comfortable - the stocker is a plank.

Although they're both discontinued I suspect the TR is a worse white-elephant than the TE due to the beemer motor. We're anxious to see what KTM is gonna do with the line-up.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3838
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,796
Spent a week in southwestern Colorado and a few days in Moab.. The 630s performed well in their element...

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #3839
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 796
It was cool to meet up and ride with Mike (Fast1) and Dustin. Here's the shots I got of you guys... You should tell the story of your ride to Moab

My close call for the trip was climbing to Engineer Pass. A BMW 650gs came around a blind corner totally in my track. His alum pannier ripped the left Wolfman bag off my bike. He went down and almost went off the cliff. Luckily I had the bag attached to the rack w/ plastic D rings that snapped off, bag strapped back on and is still watertight. My two week trip could have ended on the second day...

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 09:38 PM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #3840
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post

Classic!!