Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #3886
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Hey guys, sorry to intrude on the 630 thread but I have a question. I'm the owner of a new TR650. The forks suck. Can someone tell me what the OD of the 630 forks are? Thanks in advance.
45mm. But the stock 630 forks aren't great either. They need some work. You want to buy mine?
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #3887
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Charlie, I have both bikes and the triple clamps are the same, but of course the forks are 2.5 to 3 inches longer. You could do the swap but steering geometry will sure change, and you'd have to decide whether to use the TE wheel and brake or the TR. Or, do some machining for the swap. My TE forks are great since LTR overhauled them. It's a dirt Cadillac now.
Blaise W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #3888
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Paul, you coming to DV rally this year?

I know Ken is. We'll have to catch up. Your'e really in Tucson now? What happened to the big shop/house combo thing you were gonna build in TX?

I'm still loving my 630. Can't think of anything I'd trade it for. I'm getting it paid down, has close to 6K miles on it, trouble free. I don't get out on it as much as I should, the Tiger got over 9K miles in half the time. Lot of hiway on that one though.

The 630 needs chains and sprockets now, trying to decide on gearing. Maybe I'll go one or two more teeth down from 14/42. I still have my original 15T so I think I'll pickup a 46 or 47 rear and a new chain. My guide is bent a little, made the chain really wear on the sprocket last trip. Maybe I should get one of those brp thingies.

Anybody know where to pickup a new air filter foam? Mine has a very small tear in the outer foam, would just like to have a new one. The new AGM battery from batterymart is doing fine. Geez, for $50 how can you miss?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #3889
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Chris, I am nearing 9K on my 630 and sprockets/chain are still OK for now. I went down one tooth on the countershaft for the COBDR this year and like it, so will stay there I think. At some point I will take it down for valve check, clutch hub spring cups, etc., and am also having Krieger make a manual cam chain adjuster for me. With three dual sports I am spreading the miles, but this summer I intend to do Mark Sampson's route from Mex to Can, on the WRR though.

I am in the process of drawing plans for my garage here in Tucson, but it will just be a garage with a carport between it and the house for shade in the Summer. The garage in the house is just too small.

I have the BRP guide on the 630 and it's doing great.

Can't wait for DV!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #3890
Simple_One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a moderately high mileage (16000km) early build (2010) TE630 to replace my DRZ. I'm a little concerned as the bike doesn't have the PU kit in it as never has. I've read that they can be dangerously lean from the factory if left unmodified (which seems a little ridiculous). Is this actually the case?

Also what does running lean do to a 4 stroke given that it's still getting adequately oiled and isn't dependent on the fuel supply like a 2 banger?

Would any of you have any concerns about picking up an early build TE630?
What about with those km's on it?
Simple_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #3891
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
...Anybody know where to pickup a new air filter foam? Mine has a very small tear in the outer foam, would just like to have a new one...
Bikebandit.com
p/n is 1406591, plug that into search bar and it will come up. Click on "order without fitment" as their application chart doesnt have the TE630 loaded. $31.50 after AMA discount, same Twin Air filter that comes stock and ~$50 from Husky. I ordered two before Thanksgiving and they shipped out the next day.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #3892
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

DRZ Charlie, another comment on the TE TR fork swap; I had LTR put the extra inch back in my forks that was lost when the 610 turned into the 630. So, the fork length difference is more like 2", and because they are softer than the stock TR units, there is more static sag. The ultimate result would probably be just fine but you would loose a bit of the sharp turning ability of the TR. The TE has a rather large turning radius to start with.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #3893
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,802
Air Filter info

I agree with SilverBullet that is the correct filter at bike bandit.

Here's the link to the twin air app guide

http://www.twinair.com/worldwide/ima...tion_Guide.pdf
It shows the twin air number as 155506, which appears below the bike bandit number of 1406591 as SilverBullet posted, same filter as the TE610

TE/SM 610 06-09 155506
TE-SM 610 10-11 155506 -
TC/TE/SM 570/600/630 All 155506

Here's another source for twin air 155506 with a picture

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...5506/overview/

fwiw
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 07:28 AM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #3894
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 13,610
Thanks Blaise and Trav. I am seriously considering a swap so that the forks can be upgraded properly.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #3895
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_One View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a moderately high mileage (16000km) early build (2010) TE630 to replace my DRZ. I'm a little concerned as the bike doesn't have the PU kit in it as never has. I've read that they can be dangerously lean from the factory if left unmodified (which seems a little ridiculous). Is this actually the case?

Also what does running lean do to a 4 stroke given that it's still getting adequately oiled and isn't dependent on the fuel supply like a 2 banger?

My only hesitation would be that the motor runs hot from the lean condition. Probly some detonation as well. That's almost 10K miles like that. Would only affect the top end, valves, rings, piston. So I dunno, maybe johngil will pipe in here, he's got that many miles on his and had some motor work done under warranty. His was powered up though. I would definitely ask about oil consumption, whether it's had any motor work done, if the coolant was ever flushed and replaced. Check out the maintenance records on it. Sounds like it was a road bike.

At that many miles I would plan to spend a few hundred on maintenance. Would plan to do the clutch spring cup mod, they can be toast by then.

Otherwise it's the same bike as all of them, they never changed anything 'cept the side decal. They are still probably the best dualsport ever made. I can ride with 525's all the way to 950/990's without issue. LOL. It's kinda heavy for singletrack though, will tell you that.

Thanks for info on the air filter guys, appreciate it. $50 for a foam element is a bit ridiculous, eh? I think I saw $48 at Halls.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #3896
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 872
Thanks guys for the airfilter info! I'm going to order a couple of them up.

Does anyone run a stainless oil filter? If so, what are your thoughts and where did you get it?

ALso, does anyone happen to know if the 250 and 630 use the same front axles?
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #3897
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_One View Post
Hi Guys,

I've got 16000+ km on mine.Did the pu around the 3000km mark.Some dealers over here put the pu in them and left the o2 sensor in place from new pre delivery, but not all.I don't now if i would have been able to ride the bike for 16000 without it.Most noticeable would be the popping out on deceleration.
As for the km everything seems in order other than clutch slip when powering on around 5000rpm in 5th and 6th.Not sure whether its from a change of oil brand or something else.I plan to have a look inside soon and see how the clutch is and the timing chain.It has had one valve adjustment at around 13000km.Other than a few electrical issues which don't seem common to most te it's been pretty solid in the motor.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #3898
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Thanks for info on the air filter guys, appreciate it. $50 for a foam element is a bit ridiculous, eh? I think I saw $48 at Halls.
That price does seem a bit ridiculous.I pay $30 at a dealer for i twin air in oz and we normally pay twice as much as you guys do.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #3899
Simple_One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Cheers fellas, just pulled the trigger on the TE so I'll see how it looks when it gets here; nothing like sight unseen purchases to put you on edge

Fortunately the price isn't to bad and I've budgeted about a grand for repairs if needed, so hopefully there is nothing more major than that. Based on everything I've seen and heard it should be a great bike for the price, used, but not abused. Still, you never know till it's in your hands, haha.
Looking forward to it anyway, will hopefully have things sorted to try the APC rally in May
Simple_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #3900
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 698
Congratulations!

APC looks like fun: http://rally.australianpropertycentre.net.au/

Key West 2014 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959932
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote