Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #781
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
Why? when you take a pickup truck out into the desert, do you modify it to have a hand crank?

I really don't understand all this fear of not having a kick starter on current generation fuel injected bikes. Would I want to take a kick starter off of a KTM300EXC? NO, it can foul a plug easily and kill a battery try to get things going. However with a fuel injected bike the chances of fouling out a plug or cylinder is slim to none short of sucking in water and if that happens pull the plug very quickly to clear it out and conserve battery power.

The two times I've been on a fuel injected thumper and they decided to not restart, it was super easy to roll start because of the fuel injection spraying fuel into the intake runner and allowing it to fire right up within 1-2' of distance after dropping the clutch rather then 2-3 revolutions of the crank waiting for the carb to catch it's breath.
I agree, but a 610 is decidedly NOT easy to bump start. I presume the 630 is a similar level of not easy
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #782
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I agree, but a 610 is decidedly NOT easy to bump start. I presume the 630 is a similar level of not easy
with all fuel injected bikes the trick to the bump start is to hit the starter button immediately before engaging the clutch so that the fuel pump is primed with what little battery juice there is, then they usually turn over pretty quick.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #783
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
with all fuel injected bikes the trick to the bump start is to hit the starter button immediately before engaging the clutch so that the fuel pump is primed with what little battery juice there is, then they usually turn over pretty quick.
Yeah, well... if the starter worked, I wouldna needed to bump start it And the pump primes when turning on the key.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #784
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Yeah, well... if the starter worked, I wouldna needed to bump start it And the pump primes when turning on the key.
overriding the clutch switch is also a very good idea for when that starter just barely wants to crank, without the safety switch it's possible to hit the starter while attemting the roll start. The combination of a little bit of battery/starter assistance and wheel load makes it a tad easier.

You should try roll starting a 1200 boxer
Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #785
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
I've bump started by two-seater roadster... about 4 times the weight of a 1200.. but that was on pavement so I could get foot traction to get it moving..
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #786
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,388
Bumping a big single is pretty easy kiddies. In top gear, roll it backwards till she hits a wall of compression. You have just set it past TDC on the compression stroke, now back in neutral, get it rolling and pop into gear, I've used 1st on a LC4 620SX. Like butter if its a properly running bike.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #787
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,388
Now, if you ran into a foot of sand without a redundant starter, a tow strap or a friend, who can you blame?

Boosting the engine over via another bikes spinning rear wheel is easier than even kicking it but I can dream up a scenario where the bike is in 40' of water so what then?

Thats an old bump start tip for big thumpers that aren't buried in sand or upside down in the middle of a lake. Hope nobody ever needs it but its good to know.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #788
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
overriding the clutch switch is also a very good idea for when that starter just barely wants to crank, without the safety switch it's possible to hit the starter while attemting the roll start. The combination of a little bit of battery/starter assistance and wheel load makes it a tad easier.

I agree ... well maintained modern 4 strokes should not need a kick starter fitted.

Bump starting is all about the surface and hills. If you've got hills then no problemo. Bump starting a 600 single in deep desert sand on a flat surface ain't easy when solo.

In Baja we would "Foot Peg" guys to get 'em going. Some are better at this than others. Experts only.

I've bump started big BMW's (why is it the BMW's that fail?) on cross country trip, for two weeks . (Broken starter motor) Tough on cold, wet mornings.

I learned to bump start as a kid racing moto cross. (14 years old) The big bikes are really no different and no problem with just a hint of down hill on good pavement. It's all about good technique. Sand and dirt changes everything.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #789
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Its a whole lot easier to bump start, than fabricating a kick starter onto it.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #790
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Its a whole lot easier to bump start, than fabricating a kick starter onto it.
And we're baaaccckkkk
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 01-18-2011 at 08:31 PM
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #791
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Lol.. and nevermind George already explained WHY a 610 is TRUELY harder to bumpstart than the average thumper....... AND also explained ways to work around those "quirks" and to help make it easier.... Just like how he clearly explained the very logical reasons that a kicker won't work either....
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #792
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Lol.. and nevermind George already explained WHY a 610 is TRUELY harder to bumpstart than the average thumper....... AND also explained ways to work around those "quirks" and to help make it easier.... Just like how he clearly explained the very logical reasons that a kicker won't work either....
but the only thing he forgot to do is explain how assembled his kicker in the gear box of his "beer bet" conversion.. which I have to believe knowing his knowledge, would be very easy to do.

Kinda just like everyone else does on this site when inquiries are made about modifications.
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #793
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,156
Maybe you guys should start a "kickstart on Husky 610/630" thread

And while you're at it, start a thread for fast55 so he can rant about how the 510 is such a better adventure bike than the 610/630

Holy crap..........

01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #794
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
And while you're at it, start a thread for fast55 so he can rant about how the WR250R is such a better adventure bike than the 610

Holy crap..........

fixed it for ya
10 Yamaha FJR 1300
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #795
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
fixed it for ya
Ohhh, 08 TE510? Ya might not want to use the kick starter too much. It's got the same assembly that's been failing on the TC's and the only difference between the TC and TE is the TE has electric start = not using the kicker. There is a technical service bulletin from HSQ to replace the kick starter gear assembly on 08 TC's only as HSQ IT felt the TE/TXC kicker isn't necessary anyhow. If it fails it can crack the crank case cover, so use your kicker sparingly, I'd hate to have to try kicking it over to life in the boondies only to wind up with metal bits floating around the case and oily air blowing out the freshly formed crack

(that ought to give the 610/630 crowd some ammo)