Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
longwaybackhome OP
--------------

Oddometer: 218
Weekend ride in South Korea - First ride with daughter 04.09.2009

Good day fellow ADVriders,

This summer we bought gear for our older daughter (9 years) during our holidays in Europe (no childrens gear available in Korea as far as we know).

We had decided to spend a weekend in the Yongnam Alps with the family and it was a good opportunity for the first ride with my daughter (previously our riding had been limited to a round around the quarter). My wife and the younger daughter followed us in the ”support car” and provided action photography and video services (now I had the same service as Ewan & Charlie had in Long Way Around / Down).

We left early Saturday morning (as early as early can be with long-haired wife and two daughters, combing and arranging that hair takes sooo loooong).

After some 30 minutes of riding we took a short break to check that everything was OK and also have something to drink, it was some 28 degrees C. Here the ”mighty elephant”, my younger daughter and the ”support vehicle”.

That helmet lock is not so easy to handle…

Here a shot taken from the car on our way towards Yongnam Alps.

We made a stopover in Tongdosa where we wanted to visit the Tongdosa Aqua Fantasia, a ”water park”. When we came there it was closed. ”End of season closing” already first weekend of September with still 28 degrees C outside seems strange (maybe only for me but not for 40+ million Koreans). We suspect because of Swine Flu but difficult to find out in Konglish.

Big drama. To repair the damages and save the day for the girls we went to the Tongdosa Fantasia amusement park instead. Here some shots (maybe not very much motorcycling in the next 10 shots but…).

We started with delicious hot dogs from Steff Houlberg, a Danish company that has taken the Korean hot dog market with a storm…

Schloss Neuschwanstein or what?

We were struggling a little with some of the machines (no casualties, no vomiting though). Looks like the girls liked the ”Viking Ship”, doesn’t it?

My older daughter loved the ”Rock-n-Roll” and did it at least 5 times, I tried it once (never again) and my wife tried it ”half a time” after which she was ready to recycle the hot dogs…

The small rollercoaster was another favourite (for me once was enough).

No way.

Never ever again.

At the end we all found out that the carousel offered by far the nicest ride.

Amusement parks are exhausting.

The younger one wants too...

When leaving the amusement park we passed the main gate to the famous Tongdosa temple.

We rode up in the Yongnam Alps where we had rented a ”cottage” in Baenaegol. We had Korean barbeque for dinner and rounded up with some karaoke (lots of Michael Jackson that evening...).

When returning to the cottage we went down in the riverbed for some night photography (aperture 5,6 and 30 seconds exposure time).

Sunday morning breakfast (butter, cheese, salami, pickled cucumber etc from Costco Busan).

After playing in the river for a while we decided to hike up to the Paraiso waterfalls and had our picnic lunch there. On the way up there we saw a snake (first one in Korea for me…).

Normally Koreans have state of the art hiking gear including sturdy boots. This couple didn't…

We went home via Miryang Dam and rode the twisties once back and forth.

We had local fast food (Ramyeon = cup noodles, not really the favourite fast food of our girls) prepared by these ladies in their tent.

The girls with the Miryang dam in the background.

Some shots from the way home via Eden Valley. We had some discussions concerning the latter picture, my daughter is not exactly leaning towards inside, she wanted to see mum and her sister...

Last break before entering Busan.

My wife got greetings from the local authorities in the mail some days ago as a reminder of our weekend out (speeding is priceworthy in Korea… ).

All in all we had a very nice weekend with the family and spent quality time together. It is indeed possible to combine motorcycling with family life!

Most important for me, my older daughter had good time since tomorrow Saturday we are again preparing for a tour. This time we will camp in our tent somewhere seaside along the coast towards Ulsan. Report will follow…
longwaybackhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Looks like a fun time for the whole family! Funny part about your wife getting the photo radar speeding ticket and not you! So.. how does a bike get an auotmated speeding ticket in Korea?

Thanks for the report and pics and looking forward to your Ulsan ride report.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,302
Great ride you had. Those are what memories are made of !!

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,646
Hi Andrej,
nice pics! Good to see you & the girls having fun. I think the other girl is a bit jealous tho. Maybe a hack for the GS?

Bummer about the ticket, but it is funny how the passenger is covered up, just in case some guy is speeding with his girlfriend, his wife wont find out!
I couldnt tell, but how expensive is a ticket here?
I didnt have to worry about getting one, as I was too busy looking for road signs to go fast!

Doug

rtwdoug screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 05:36 PM
rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
longwaybackhome OP
--------------

Speeding tickets

Hello Gadget Boy,

Well the Korean speeding cameras take shots only from front so identifying a motorcycle is kind of tricky. Maybe I will be identified now and get a full collection...?

Anyway, I am of course never ever speeding and always following the speed limit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looks like a fun time for the whole family! Funny part about your wife getting the photo radar speeding ticket and not you! So.. how does a bike get an auotmated speeding ticket in Korea?

Thanks for the report and pics and looking forward to your Ulsan ride report.

Doug,

Speeding is priceworthy. My wife drove 90 km/h in an 70 km/h zone and got a 30.000,- KWON ticket (some 25,- USD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
Hi Andrej,
nice pics! Good to see you & the girls having fun. I think the other girl is a bit jealous tho. Maybe a hack for the GS?

Bummer about the ticket, but it is funny how the passenger is covered up, just in case some guy is speeding with his girlfriend, his wife wont find out!
I couldnt tell, but how expensive is a ticket here?
I didnt have to worry about getting one, as I was too busy looking for road signs to go fast!

Doug

longwaybackhome screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 05:41 PM
Old 09-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
longwaybackhome OP
--------------

Saturday ride in South Korea - 2nd ride with daughter 19.09.2009

Since the extent of the 2nd ride with my daughter became a little smaller than planned I post the report here instead of making a new ride report...

Off we go. Everything set for camping a night out.

First break along the coast towards Ulsan.

Gori nuclear power plant.

Family Mart saves us again, some last minute shopping of necessities for the evening meal.

We arrived at the Ganjeolgot lighthouse. It was very stormy with heavy gusts of wind.

Stormy shore with the Onsan industrial area and Ulsan Hyundai Offshore shipyard in the background.

???

Possibly the world's biggest mailbox?

Since it was very stormy and it would have been my daughter's first time camping elsewhere than her grandparent's garden we decided to abort the camping and return home..

On our way home we saw this "roadkill". Hope the driver is "OK"...

Since we had prepared food etc we decided to have a picnic before going home. We stopped at Songjeong beach just outside Busan.

Before going home we did some light painting...

Maybe we will soon have another opportunity for camping?

longwaybackhome screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 09:43 AM
Old 09-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,053
So-have you heard this one enough yet?

My wife is Korean, but I've never been there. I see those 'tent resturants' all the time on Korean dramas,and I tell my wife when we go there, we are going to have to eat at one of them,and have soju,too.

According to Kdramas, if you are on a beach at night, you are supposed to shoot off fireworks.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Jack4245
Lost Hoosier

Oddometer: 77
Great ride report. Good family time. Your wife looks tall enought. Why not matching GSs ?? Go buy it, I will read the ride report.
Jack4245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
longwaybackhome OP
--------------

GS v. Korean bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4245
Great ride report. Good family time. Your wife looks tall enought. Why not matching GSs ?? Go buy it, I will read the ride report.
Good day Jack,

Well my wife is indeed tallish. However her motorcycle riding experience is limited to wheeling her ex-boyfriend's motorcycle through the hedge in her father's garden as a teenager, so the GS is for time being out of question...

We are however considering one of the below 125 cc Korean bikes.

Hyosung:

Daelim:

Let's see how things develop...
Old 09-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,946
I love this report. My daughter and I are on our own so our planning is more simple. Its nice to see how you and your wife have made it work, allowing you to ride with one of the girls. Everyone looks like they had a good time! Thanks for sharing!
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote