User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Motoport gear crash tested at 70 mph

I posted this on my ride report, but I figured I would do a little repost here in the equipment section because I am now a huge fan of Motoport Kevlar mesh riding gear.

There might be gear out there that is of equivalent quality and protection, but so far, I havent seen any better protective gear on the market.

Long story short, I was on my KTM 990 and went down on Mex 1 at 70 mph. I slid and tumbled over at least 200 feet on the rough asphalt and came out unscathed. What amazed me most is how the kevlar had a few scars, but was still in good enough shape not to warrant a replacement, just new sleeve zippers and couple of patches here and there.

The jacket is the Kevlar Air Mesh II with Quad armor. The pants are stretch kevlar street jeans, also with quad armor. The quad armor is a bit bulkier than the tri armor, but I feel the advantages well outweigh the disadvantages. I have crashed in this gear several times off road, but this was my first crash test of the Motoport gear on the pavement. The following is a repost from my ride report......

The long straight stretch of Mex 1 south of Chapala was virtually deserted, or so I thought. The moment I hit the pavement my brain kicked into neutral thinking, ah, this is kind of nice to riding on some long straight deserted slab for a change. Butt on the seat for once, and I relaxed. For some miles I was riding behind Miguel. In 6th gear at that speed my RPM's were a little on the low end so the motor was kind of chugging. I decided to bump up the speed to get to a smoother rpm for the motor. In order to do this I had to pass Miguel.

Like I said, my brain was in neutral and I was lulled into complacency thinking that we were the only ones on the road as I had not seen another vehicle for miles. I got on the centerline and started to pass Miguel when I felt my rear end get bumped. I immediately knew what happened. There was a vehicle behind me making a pass and I was so brain dead that I didnt even check my mirror. I was instantly down, sliding with the bike for what seemed like an eternity. But in real time I separated from the bike immediately, then continued to slide down the pavement head first, on my back before I started to tumble. I was told that I tumbled around 10 times but I dont remember it. All I remember is that when I started to tumble I instinctively brought my hands and arms into my chest.

When I stopped I was lying in the middle of the road and my only thought was to crawl to the side and get off the highway. After that I was simply lying there with my eyes closed taking stock of my condition. I can wiggle my toes. Good. I can move my fingers, good. But damn, I dont feel any pain, I must be really messed up. Am I alive?

After a few seconds I cracked one eye open to see the guys standing above me. I looked at Miguel with one eye open and said, "I think I'm OK." Then I got up, started to walk around and realized that not only was I unhurt, but I had zero road rash, not even so much as a scratch on me. Only three words are necessary: Motoport Kevlar Mesh.

We loaded up the bike into the Dodge Ram and headed for the closest, town, Guererro Negro.

My handle bars were broken in two so Ramon (the driver of the truck) took me to a welder and got the bars put back together. We then went to the Malarrimo Hotel, took stock of the situation, and decided to further evaluate the bike the next day.

The bike was still rideable but needed some patching up. It fared surprisingly well because it simply slid on its right side and never tumbled, and never hit anything.

CJracer will be mighty proud of how well his clutch cover held up in the crash.

It took me most of the day to get the bike back in shape to ride any distance. I could have made it to the KTM dealer in Guadalajara or Chihuahua in a weeks time, but that didnt make much sense since I was only a long days pavement ride from San Diego.

The only casualties of the day:

My pride
shredded backpack
burst camelbak
handlebars
right mirror
broken support frame under the headlight mask
headlight mask
dashboard mount
throttle cables
hand guards
one bent fork
cracked lower triple clamp at one of the pinch bolts
throttle lock
right tank and tank guard
bent subframe
bent luggage rack
helmet
scuffed up riding gear

And finally, the front bumper of Ramon's truck.

The following day I rode the bike to San Qunitin, then the next day home to San Diego.

Parts and gear have been ordered and should be here next week. I fully anticipate to be back on the road in under two weeks. That aint so bad I think. I'm a lucky bastard. Hopfully I have gotten the crashing out of my system for a while. Dios quiere......

The Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket is an amazing piece of gear. I got mine with the quad armor in it as well.

I dropped the jacket off at Motoport and they are going to put a couple of patches on it, then fix a couple of the zippers on the sleeves that had broken in the crash.

This is what Motoport gear looks like after being tested sliding and tumbling across rough ass Mexican asphalt at 70 mph. They now have a very loyal fan of their gear.

This kevlar is amazingly tough stuff. Incredible actually. On top of that NONE of the stitching blew out either. The pants had a pretty good abrasion in only one area, but it didnt even go down to the inner liner. The jacket, well I think the way it looks after a crash like this is nothing short of staggering.

Funny thing is that I was kind of wavering about spending 400 bucks on just an armored jacket as there are many cheaper option out there, but none nearly as good. The Quad armor pants were another 300 bucks, but well worth it. Very cheap insurance if you ask me. I am now a very loyal customer of Motoport.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-19-2009 at 09:45 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,103
First off sorry for your crash... But you know why you did crash, so it's all good here...

Second, thanks for taking the time to post this in equipment, hopefully more people will wake up and realize that it is worthwhile to wear good gear...

C.

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
g r a n t
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Same, bummer about your crash. Glad you are ok.
Yesterday I received confirmation from Wayne that my suit is in production and should be shipped to me in a few days. Can't wait.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Jim Goose
Bad Ass.

Oddometer: 123
Proud to own the same gear.

You forgot to mention how well the mesh ventilates.

Glad your ok. Long live wayne!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Glad you're ok. I always thought Motoport gear was low quality, but this proves otherwise.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

I'm mainly an off road dirt bike type of guy, so I usually wear MX type gear. However once I got my 990 adventure I knew I would be spending a fair amount of time of pavement, but I had no decent gear that would withstand a high speed slide across the asphalt.

After researching different materials and different brands of gear on the internet, and seeing stuff in person like Aerostitch, Roadcrafter, BMW, etc. I was just more confused about what gear to buy.

The polyester mesh crap that you see on the racks in many bike shops (not mentioning any brands) was out. No way I wanted that stuff melted into my road rashed skin.

High quality expensive race leathers would be decent protection from road abrasion, but they just dont breath at all for my purposes, and the armor in them was lacking IMO.

So i came on the equipment forum and looked at threads about the Motoport stuff. I had never heard of them before since they are such a small operation. I saw the pictures of the gear and was interested, but I dont like to buy stuff that I havent seen in person.

Well low and behold I figure out that Motoport is only about a 30 minute drive from where I live. I made an appointment to come by the shop and check things out. its a small manufacturing shop in an industrial park that does everything in house, nothing is farmed out, everything is hand made, and custom made to your specifications for an additional price.

Once I was given the nickel tour of the shop and saw the materials used I was impressed. Then Wayne showed me different pieces of gear that had been crashed, Motoport gear and many other brands. After examining many pieces of crashed gear it was immediately apparent that the Motoport Kevlar Mesh held up to road abrasion far better than any other piece of gear I looked at, far better. I saw crashed BMW gear, Aerostitch and Roadcrafter among many other brands like Joe Rocket, Alpinstars, etc.

I immediately got fitted for some Motoport gear, it was a no-brainer. Although expensive compared to the bargain gear, it was still cheaper than than quite a few other expensive brands including the BMW branded stuff.

The Kevlar mesh flows air incredibly well, even with the full quad armor. Last week I was riding in 115 degree temps and as long as i was moving at least 30 mph, I was as comfortable as I could possibly be in that type of heat.

I have had some pretty good off road crashes in the quad armor and was impressed at the protection compared to the MX style gear that I normally wear. The standard tri armor didnt look like anything special to me, but when I saw the quad armor I was convinced that it was probably better than the CE plastic stuff that i had been wearing.

Anyway, long story, longer, after last week's crash I will wear nothing but the Motoport kevlar gear. That one little experience has made me a believer in the quality and workmanship of the gear. It is truly staggering how well the gear looked after sliding across the pavement at 70 mph. I dont have so much as a scratch on me, I'm just a little sore from the tumbling that I did after the long slide, thats about it.

Just so you folks know, Wayne did not ask me to post anything, I was simply so astounded by my experience with the gear that I had to share it.

Sure, I spent close to 900 bucks for the jacket and pants once the cost of my needed custom features were added in, but it was worth every penny and more. I figure that the cost of skin grafts would have been on the order tem times more than the cost of the gear, and thats with my health insurance. Bottom line, top quality gear is the best money you can spend on yourself. Also another thing to note is that just because some gear is expensive, doesnt mean that it is good quality. This Motoport stuff is top notch in my book.

Spend the money and dress for the crash because you never know when it will happen to you, and if you ride long enough, it will happen.

Of course i was very lucky in the respect that the truck didnt run me over, and I didnt hit anything except the pavement. I dont want to downplay the crash because according to eyewitnesses, it was pretty horrific to watch. It was pretty horrific from my perspective too. However, because the Motoport gear did its job so well, I am unscathed and will hit the road again in a weel or so when I get the bike back together, instead of getting skin grafts in a hospital or nursing broken bones somewhere.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 10:38 AM
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
VintageThumper
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,026
Thumb

You win the award for most appropriate inmate name!

Thanks for the highly valuable report. A crash like this with such a happy ending is a rare thing indeed.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Dixon.Steele
Banned

Oddometer: 33
I have the stretch and not the mesh and "only" with tri-armor. Went head first over the bars at around 30-40 MPH or so and landed on my left shoulder and flipped back onto my feet believe it or not. Couldn't believe how well the armor and the gear worked. Had a slight scuff on the shoulder of the jacket and zero rash. My shoulder was slightly bruised, with no gear I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to bounce right up and may have broken my shoulder or collarbone. Everyone who has ever crashed in motoport gear sings it's praises. I'm upgrading to the quad armor this winter. CE, blah blah, Wayne lies, etc etc. Bottom line, the gear is pricey but probably the best out there.

Glad to hear you made it thru OK.
Dixon.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
Congratulations on an excellent outcome to a potential disaster. Thank you for sharing the detailed accident report. Your gear really did the job in every respect. What were your helmet, gloves, and boots?
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Helmet: Shoei Hornet. face shield and beak were gone but my head feels fine.

Gloves: Motoport stretch kevlar. Except for some scuffs on the right glove knuckle plastic, they are in great shape.

Boots: SIDI Crossfires, non-SRS. If I had been wearing anything less than full MX boots I'm pretty sure I would have broken an ankle or foot. FWIW, I always wear MX boots, even when street riding, you get used to them and they are well worth the protection.

I realize it sounds a bit like I'm preaching, but I think the MX boots were key in avoiding an ankle/foot injury.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 03:37 PM
Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Glad you're ok. I always thought Motoport gear was low quality, but this proves otherwise.
I can understand not liking the motoport gear for whatever reason but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it was low quality.

To the OP. Thanks for posting this. Since none of the manufactures provide real proof of the crashworthiness of their gear, first hand accounts are about all we've got.

I've had my motoport mesh pants for about 3 years. I love them. I'm not crazy about their jackets as I like a close fitting jacket and from the pictures I have seen the jackets look pretty bulky. I have a Rev'it Ignition jacket (mesh/leather) that will hopefully do the job if needed.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
R Doug
Recalculating

Oddometer: 296
Thanks for posting up a review of how everything held up in the crash. Most importantly, I'm glad you'll be OK.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Swimmer,

Just a comment on the Motoport fit. I had the Revit Ignition and loved it. Still like the style. Had a 40-50 mph get off and it did okay, but was ripped beyond repair. For a replacement, went to the Motoport Riva to go with the Motoport pants, and to get bit more protection. I know what you mean about some of the bulky examples of the Motoport jacket fit. But you might take a look at the Riva. I find it an even better fit than the Ignition, though not as cool looking.
Attached Images

beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doug
Thanks for posting up a review of how everything held up in the crash. Most importantly, I'm glad you'll be OK.
I'm happy to do it amigo. We are fortunate that we have so many types of gear to choose from, but sometimes, that is the problem.

After my experience with my gear, I just thought it was a good thing to share it with you FF's. Hopefully some of you FF's that like to ride around in jeans and T-shirt will think twice about what youre wearing even before you just hop on your scooter to go the grocery store.

I had a jacket that was just that poly mesh crap. I gave it to a buddy. Since my crash I told him to throw that jacket directly into the trash. I did not do him any favors by giving him that poly mesh jacket.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I can understand not liking the motoport gear for whatever reason but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it was low quality.
I read some article in Motorcyclist about their Kevlar suits not performing well in low-speed crashes, but that was years ago and they've had plenty of time to improve their product since then.