User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
mung OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Trials Tips

Here is a place to share info on how to keep your bike and bod running well. Tip 1. Put your master link clip on the inside of your chain to make it safer for the clip to stay secure.Easy to reach through the spokes with a long needle nose pliers to seat the clip home.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Trail Runner

Oddometer: 782
Keep your feet up.
10K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I keep my brake and clutch lever parallel to the handlebars that way when you drop off a log or embankment you don’t have to struggle to reach them. Having them that way is counter intuitive until you try it. Also next time you fix a flat or change a tire take a rat tail file to the valve stem hole in the rim and open it up so if the tire creeps it wont rip out the valve core.
Dave

darmst6829 screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 10:18 PM
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075

Practice. A lot.

I've found recording my practice to be helpful. It's nice to see if what I think I'm doing is anything like what is actually happening.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Will Hesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Sting or someone with a name like that had a great tip for starting the GasGas Pro's.

It's a great tip because my 2011 which is now a week old, usually takes at least 8 good kicks to start cold (yes, the choke is on).

Sting (or whatever his name is) said to: put the bike in 3rd gear and with the clutch out push the bike back and forth to work the piston up and down several times. Then the bike should start on the first or second kick.

I couldn't get the piston to move in 3rd gear so I put it in 6th and I could hear it cycling as I pushed and pulled the bike (with the clutch engaged) about 4 times in each direction.

I choked it and kicked...twice...and it fired! It's never done that before, what a great trick!

I'm supposing it draws some fuel into the cylinder and "primes" things. Whatever the reason, it works and for that...a big thanks to Sting or whatever your name is!
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
[QUOTE=Will Hesch;19936638]Sting or someone with a name like that had a great tip for starting the GasGas Pro's.

Sting is too polite. Any time I find a rider(newbie) starting a cold unwilling bike. Double check the tank for fuel and gas, ck the choke. I then throw the bike on it`s side(how hard depends on how clean). Jump up and down screaming piece of s-it or any usable 4 letter word. By this time the carb has over flowed priming the engine and she starts usually the first kick. Just baffles the crap out of some one you just met!!!!?!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
I'll be watching to see you do this, lineaway...
thegraydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Check for loose sprocket bolts every few rides. Mine loosen up for some reason.

As tempting as it is, don't put slime in your front tube, and if you do, replace the tube as soon as you can. Slime will ruin a low pressure gage quick.

Plugs work great in the rear tire. Never put slime in the rear tire. Makes a huge mess next time you change out the tire.

Clean the spark arrester screen often.

If it feels wrong, make it right. When something functional breaks, fix it. When you scratch it, don't fret over it.

Practice on harder stuff than you compete on. Do it as often as you can. Drill on the basics in your driveway as often as you can.

Start when you're young. Starting when you're 47 just makes getting better all that much slower, but it's still fun. You'll just get passed up by all the younger kids shockingly fast.

If you are currently an A or B rider, you will probably be a good trials rider (advanced) as well. I was never better than a fast C and probably won't ever advance out of the intermediate class but never say never. I'm only 53. :-)

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
[QUOTE=lineaway;19936713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hesch View Post
Sting or someone with a name like that had a great tip for starting the GasGas Pro's.

Sting is too polite. Any time I find a rider(newbie) starting a cold unwilling bike. Double check the tank for fuel and gas, ck the choke. I then throw the bike on it`s side(how hard depends on how clean). Jump up and down screaming piece of s-it or any usable 4 letter word. By this time the carb has over flowed priming the engine and she starts usually the first kick. Just baffles the crap out of some one you just met!!!!?!
That is funny right there... I too have been known to scream and kick in frustration...

Adding to the tip, Make SURE your last "rocking motion" was in backwards motion... AND, if the piston wont move, AKA; it is up above the ports near TDC and creates vacuum you don't easily overcome in 2nd or 3rd, I (since I am sitting anyhow) reach down with my right hand and work the kicker down, 1 time. Then I can rock the cylinder up and down. When it is less than freezing, I have in the past, been known to have laid the bike over on one side, then rock the hell out of it. Not lately though.

Main thing, IMHO with 280-300cc versions it saves a helluva lot of wear and tear on a "weaker" than some kicking assembly, by giving the starting parts, almost 300 degrees of revolution before compression.

Why do all this? Well, Its been a while, but seems to me that we're forced to purchase the shaft with the dog ear gear that can be mangled or broke... I cant recall for positive on the amounts, but from Lewissport or Rising sun, seems to be about $150, then add the idler gear for $40-50. I am a tight a$$, so I would rather do the work and just rock the bike, which then moves the piston a few times.

Nothing like helping a guy on getting his bike started, and breaking the dog ear off "for them," all because they spend 20 kicks each time they unload the bike PLUS the untold numerous times during the day, starting the bike...

I just want to emphasize, some don't have any problems, even when they load up all that pressure on the gears to start the engine, and Im only looking at it from the point of view of "give everything the best chance to not fail"... I have a friend that broke 3 side covers, it split the seal hole, until he learned to give the bike and parts the "best chance at success"... this BCAS theory is the same theory you use when you do anything else from trials to dating... kind like buying flowers or drinks, and smiling and acting like you are really interested in why she hates certain "shoes," or whatever, while out on that date... Right?

Sting32 screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 09:07 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,861
[QUOTE=lineaway;19936713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hesch View Post

Baffled the crap out of me the first time I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
I'll be watching to see you do this, lineaway...

It'll baffle the crap out of you.
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote