ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Fred1956 OP
Adventurer
 
Fred1956's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NE OK/ NW Ark
Oddometer: 32
Question Soon to be a new guy in NW AR......I hope

Hello, I am back to shopping for a dual sport bike, just got off the phone with wfopete (I know, I know ) but I know he is an expert at dual sporting...I have been riding motorcycles since the age of 13 (a long time ago) MX, Harleys, enduro, harescramble, trials etc. I currently own/race/ride a GasGas EC250 & a GasGas TXT 280 Pro trials bike.

I'm looking for a dual sportable bike in the 400-650cc range but I own a motorcycle shop so I'm poor and on a budget + I'm green about what works and what doesn't. I'd even buy one that needed work to save a buck or two. I'm thinking DRZ400, KTM 400-525, maybe an XR650? Kind of leaning away from the KLR650 because of the width (to many crashes- my hips don't like a wide tank/seat). I'll be a more of a gravel and off road kind of explorer than a cruise down the interstate guy.

Anyone have a suggestion...advice...experience...

FWIW I have borrowed a 'steet legal' KTM400 to do a ride sponsored by one of my suppliers next Sun & Mon out of Eureka Springs and I'm very excited about going so the bug has a pretty good hold right now

Thanks in advance
__________________
Fred
'06 GasGas EC250
'06 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Fred1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Dover, AR
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
Hello, I am back to shopping for a dual sport bike.

I'm looking for a dual sportable bike in the 400-650cc range.

Anyone have a suggestion...advice...experience...
May I suggest a DR 650 - air cooled, carbureted, pretty much stone reliable, cheap and lots of available aftermarket parts. With the stock fuel tank (3.4 gal), I would usually hit reserve between 110 and 120 miles riding forestry roads and ATV trails. The suspension is just satisfactory. I have upgraded mine for riding stuff like this http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8234 It is roughly 50# lighter than a KLR, about that much heavier than a DRZ 400 and maybe 20# heavier than a XR650L. I have a little over 21,000 miles on mine with the majority of that off road. I know several folks that have well over 30,000.
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 28,564
Tell us more abt this "sponsored" ride out of ES?
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Fred1956 OP
Adventurer
 
Fred1956's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NE OK/ NW Ark
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
May I suggest a DR 650 - air cooled, carbureted, pretty much stone reliable, cheap and lots of available aftermarket parts. With the stock fuel tank (3.4 gal), I would usually hit reserve between 110 and 120 miles riding forestry roads and ATV trails. The suspension is just satisfactory. I have upgraded mine for riding stuff like this http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8234 It is roughly 50# lighter than a KLR, about that much heavier than a DRZ 400 and maybe 20# heavier than a XR650L. I have a little over 21,000 miles on mine with the majority of that off road. I know several folks that have well over 30,000.
Thanks for the info, I'll put that on as a possible and see what I can find
__________________
Fred
'06 GasGas EC250
'06 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Fred1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Fred1956 OP
Adventurer
 
Fred1956's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NE OK/ NW Ark
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Tell us more abt this "sponsored" ride out of ES?
One of my cycle parts distributors is hosting a D/S ride for their dealers, I know nothing of the route except that they are using area guides that know the routes and some of it may be part of the recent 500 mile ride. Other than that "I know nothing!"
__________________
Fred
'06 GasGas EC250
'06 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Fred1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
tcourdin
Resident Spooner
 
tcourdin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 10,068
Hey Fred! I want in on this super secret ride, I won't tell anyone!


Lots of good choices out there for a dual sport bike, I'm using a DR650 at the moment. The WR250R's are a popular choice too.
__________________
My SPOT
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Fred1956 OP
Adventurer
 
Fred1956's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NE OK/ NW Ark
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Hey Fred! I want in on this super secret ride, I won't tell anyone!
Lots of good choices out there for a dual sport bike, I'm using a DR650 at the moment. The WR250R's are a popular choice too.
Hey Ted, I'd take ya if I could but you'd have to work for me and I can't afford help! (or you could hang around Eureka and fall in with us as we go by. :-) )

I'm gonna look at the DR650 to see what's out there...Pete mentioned the WR, I wouldn't have thought a 250 would do but he says they go well. If I can find me a bike I'll try to set up some dinner rides from the shop....
__________________
Fred
'06 GasGas EC250
'06 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Fred1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
advmgm
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Omaha Arkansas - Motorcycling Paradise
Oddometer: 624
How big are you? I ride a WR250R and have great fun on it. There were five of us on at the Arkansas 500 last weekend.

Sent from The Edge on a WR250r
__________________
WR250R Adventurer
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Fred1956 OP
Adventurer
 
Fred1956's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NE OK/ NW Ark
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
How big are you? I ride a WR250R and have great fun on it. There were five of us on at the Arkansas 500 last weekend.

Sent from The Edge on a WR250r
6'0" 190 no gear.
__________________
Fred
'06 GasGas EC250
'06 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Fred1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #10
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 28,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
I know nothing of the route except that they are using area guides that know the routes ...
no way! No one contacted me!




DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014