User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
texag10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Texas lane-splitting bills

Two bills have been introduced in the Texas Legislature to authorize lane splitting.

HB 813 would allow splitting on all roads provided these condition are met:

-Rider and passenger have on approved helemts.
-Motorcyclist does not exceed 20 mph.
-Motorcyclist does not travel 5 mph faster than traffic.

The limit are low, but it's a start and would make dealing with busy intersections much easier.

SB 442 has these conditions:

-Motorcyclist does not exceed 20 mph.
-Motorcyclist does not travel 5 mph faster than traffic.
-Motorcyclist may only split on controlled access highways

The Senate bill removes the helmet requirement, but limits us to only highways. The AMA has decided to support SB 442 over HB 813 because they don't give a shit about actually helping motorcyclists, but are adamant supporters of the right to be stupid.

I'll take either one, but would strongly support the outline proposed in HB 813.

Please consider contacting your Reps and Senators to get the word out.
texag10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,538
Lane splitting and Open Carry...

"What could go wrong?"

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,761
Who's going to get the word out to the cagers that it's legal if this passes? I doubt there will be signs on the road saying "Please let the motorcycles go past you in traffic".

I can guarantee there will be the assholes who move over on you, honk, or especially try to ram you at the beginning of an intersection when the light turns green... how do I know?... I did a very small amount of splitting a few years ago when I first got my SV650 and got all those reactions frequently.

I really hope the bill passes and people start doing it. It would knock off a considerable amount of time on my commute... but I don't want to the first one sideswiped by road raging cagers.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
texag10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post

"What could go wrong?"

NFE
If other states offer any preview...nothing.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Who's going to get the word out to the cagers that it's legal if this passes? I doubt there will be signs on the road saying "Please let the motorcycles go past you in traffic". ...
A key, important point. We know drivers will act irrationally if they are not told it is legal AND that they are responsible for observing the rule. Too many think it is their job to enforce traffic rules (most of which do not really exist.)

I think the emphasis should be on highway traffic, not city streets with traffic signals. And I thought California's policy was "not more than 20 over traffic speed".

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...le3204990.html
which says, in part:
Quote:
A yearlong California study of motorcycle lane-splitting has concluded the practice is no more dangerous than motorcycling in general, if the rider is traveling at speeds similar to or only slightly faster than the surrounding traffic.
The maneuver becomes more dangerous, however, when a motorcyclist is speeding or riding more than 10 mph faster than the traffic the cyclist is passing.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article3204990.html#storylink=cpy{/QUOTE]

But, as usual, people screw things up for everyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP
Motorcycle Safety Information Update

Information regarding "lane splitting general guidelines" is no longer available.

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

The underlying purpose of the guidelines was to provide common-sense traffic safety information.

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike. This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road. It is also important for motorcyclists to minimize their risks by riding responsibly, always wearing a helmet and other protective gear and to never ride under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants. Here are other important safety reminders:
Watch your speed-a motorcycle collision is highly likely to cause injury or death
Assume people in cars do not see you.
Avoid blind spots in other vehicles, particularly large trucks

The California Highway Patrol also strongly encourages all motorcycle riders to sign up for the California Motorcyclist Safety Program, which is administered by the CHP as California's official motorcycle safety and training program. The Program offers courses for new and experiences riders. Find out more about the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,199
When I was stationed in Fort Worth I split often over a 4 and ahalf year span. I can count on one hand how many people honked at me and only TWO people tried to "squeeze" me to get me to stop splitting.

Lane Splitting bill thread over on TWTEX if you want a wider Texas point of view on the subject.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100713
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 35,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post

"What could go wrong?"

NFE
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
If other states offer any preview...nothing.
But here in TX, if passed, it will take a several generations before all drivers understand it is legal. So, I"m guessing I'll never do it. Too many big jacked trucks in traffic for me on my little motorbike to piss off.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
texag10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
But here in TX, if passed, it will take a several generations before all drivers understand it is legal. So, I"m guessing I'll never do it. Too many big jacked trucks in traffic for me on my little motorbike to piss off.
I haven't had any issues splitting in the past year.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
I haven't had any issues splitting in the past year.
I bet it's actually safer to lane split right now than it would be if the bill passed. Trust me, I want it to pass and I want to lane split, but you can't be blind to the immediate and real risk of retaliation from cagers if motorcyclists just get out and start doing it on a regular basis.

If you split right now, no one is alert, the people are mad after you pass and can only honk their horns. Once more motorcycles start splitting the raging cager will expect it and their new hobby will be to watch for motorcycles trying to split in traffic and try to "scare them" until they finally throw someone under. Or hell, some of them will actually try to hit you.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 35,687
"Motorcyclist does not exceed 20mph"

Are we talking lane splitting here, or Filtering at a stoplight?? 20MPH does not leave many places to split.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
texag10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Are we talking lane splitting here, or Filtering at a stoplight?? 20MPH does not leave many places to split.
My understanding is the speed of the bike is not to exceed 20mph. The whole reason I prefer the House Bill is it allows splitting everywhere these conditions are met, but requires a helmet. The Senate Bill restricts splitting to controlled access highways, but doesn't require a helmet.

Splitting bumper to bumper traffic already isn't a big deal. I do want to be able to filter to the front at lights.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
I can see the waiting on a light splitting at 5mph. Splitting in moving traffic skeers me no matter the situation. Observing human nature over many years has taught me some things. Makes no sense going to school if you are not going to learn something. If I can't get there in time without lane splitting in moving traffic, I ain't going. The risk/reward is just not there for me.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
I support the house bill too, over the senate bill which is still better than nothing. I used to split daily down I35W for years. Most of the reaction if any was people honking after I had already split past them.

If the bill passes and you plan to split, best thing to do is wear a GoPro, in case you need the video evidence. I have found Billy Bob in his jacked up F250 pretty easy to spot and avoid before he even moves over, go slow, watch their mirrors to see if they are watching you, and yes I've said it before profile, I have never had a car try to squeeze me, only pickups and 1 SUV

Someone had an idea, use those big electronic billboards, and instead of telling you not to drink and drive, and to wear your seatbelt, maybe also lane-splitting is now legal, look twice for motorcycles or something like that.
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #15
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Both, you need to visit I35W from Alliance to downtown FW and back say around rush hour
khager is online now   Reply With Quote