Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #4396
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Sorry babarnette, I didn't see your original post. There are great trails though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #4397
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
I believe I said something about that when I originally posted the tag there...

Yep, I did!
You did say they were for mountain bikes, humans, and dogs only, but you didnt say how great they are, who built them, how hard they worked to build them or anything else about them! Comon BABS, you're slipping!!!!

backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #4398
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
You did say they were for mountain bikes, humans, and dogs only, but you didnt say how great they are, who built them, how hard they worked to build them or anything else about them! Comon BABS, you're slipping!!!!
My apologies.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #4399
Olmaler
Gettin' Back to Dirt

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
I'm sure most of you know, but for those that don't and just so you do, these trails are for mountain bikes, hiking, and running only. No motorized vehicles allowed. And now that that's out of the way:
Yep! The amazing amount of signage there at the trailhead made it totally clear (i.e., no motorized vehicles).

BUT -- where does everyone go to ride offroad? I've been exploring all over the area and can't find anything that looks open/not prohibited/not closed... kinda discouraging when I just want to get out there, anywhere, somewhere and practice in the dirt!?!

Maybe after I get the new tires installed this weekend we can get a group ride together somehow in the next few weeks?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #4400
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

I'm on my phone now and can't get to it, but somewhere in one of the threads about riding, is a link to a google map I made some years ago that shows a local dualsport loop that we made many years ago. It ties in many of the reservoir area gravel roads and is a good learning loop or a good "get me away from the house for a few hours" loop. If I remember, I'll post it tonight when I get back to a computer.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #4401
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmaler View Post
Yep! The amazing amount of signage there at the trailhead made it totally clear (i.e., no motorized vehicles).

BUT -- where does everyone go to ride offroad? I've been exploring all over the area and can't find anything that looks open/not prohibited/not closed... kinda discouraging when I just want to get out there, anywhere, somewhere and practice in the dirt!?!

Maybe after I get the new tires installed this weekend we can get a group ride together somehow in the next few weeks?
I have been working on maps of our surrounding counties that show all the gravel roads. I went to MDOT and printed large scale county maps. I mark them with a red sharpie. So far I've done most of Yazoo county. I rode it last week and so far so good.

As time goes by, I anticipate having the whole state done.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #4402
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been working on maps of our surrounding counties that show all the gravel roads. I went to MDOT and printed large scale county maps. I mark them with a red sharpie. So far I've done most of Yazoo county. I rode it last week and so far so good.

As time goes by, I anticipate having the whole state done.
Good luck with that... I started out doing it on Google Maps so I could share them but ran into limitations of the previous versions of google maps not being able to hold the massive numbers of roads... so every once in awhe I keep working on it with the new version of Google Maps and dividing up into smaller regions, but still very time consuming and limited in functionality. You are welcome to the paper maps I highlighted years ago when I started out. Now I use a GPS and my memory and do just fine making routes.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #4403
Olmaler
Gettin' Back to Dirt

AGrant and backwoodsKLR -- I would love to make copies (and return originals) for any roads/loops, etc. And I can help map any of these to Google Maps also, if needed.
Olmaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #4404
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Good luck with that... I started out doing it on Google Maps so I could share them but ran into limitations of the previous versions of google maps not being able to hold the massive numbers of roads... so every once in awhe I keep working on it with the new version of Google Maps and dividing up into smaller regions, but still very time consuming and limited in functionality. You are welcome to the paper maps I highlighted years ago when I started out. Now I use a GPS and my memory and do just fine making routes.
I'm using paper maps. I'm an old school kinda guy. I like reading a physical book and magazine, and although I use google and my phone, I prefer a paper map.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #4405
AGrant
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
AGrant and backwoodsKLR -- I would love to make copies (and return originals) for any roads/loops, etc. And I can help map any of these to Google Maps also, if needed.
We need to get together and ride. Talk about maps. I wanna see that Husky-Varna ya got! Shoot me a PM and let's go explore.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #4406
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...a=0&dg=feature

That link is for Backwoodsklr's reservoir loop. One of the roads is no longer open due to some kind of exploration going on. It's the dark red line at the NE area of the map. I'd be happy to ride it with you this weekend if you want. I have a photoshoot tomorrow morning but I'm wide open after that.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #4407
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Seems I can't even pull up my custom maps on my phone anymore... thanks, Google! Oh well, back to the Tag Game in this thread. I'll quit mucking it up.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #4408
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
We need to get together and ride. Talk about maps. I wanna see that Husky-Varna ya got! Shoot me a PM and let's go explore.

Let me know when ya go and you can see two "husky-Varnas"

aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #4409
Olmaler
Gettin' Back to Dirt

New shoes

Waiting for the truck to drop off MT21 for the front and I'll be changing the (thrashed and trashed) rear for a T63 tonight. Also needs an oil change, but one more ride is always worth a wait, right?

Hope to have it and all family honey-do stuff done tomorrow before the rain is supposed to get here... will PM y'all and we can ride. Be gentle, I'm a relative dirt newbie with lots of street years to unlearn!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #4410
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Be gentle, I'm a relative dirt newbie with lots of street years to unlearn!

Don't worry... I'm rocking a supermoto 610 so I won't be going too crazy off-road

aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote