Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
hobbner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quick trip in Idaho, Pocatello to City of Rocks.

Just getting started into ADV riding, took the KLR out for the first camping trip this weekend to City of Rocks from Pocatello a short jaunt but I managed to find the long way there through some great countryside and avoided pavement as much as possible.

All loaded up ready to go, here she is my 04 KLR. Bought just a few months ago, this was the first overnight trip.

Toura-cheap GPS mount

Sadly the GPS unit died on me during the trip, after ten years of giving it hell in blizzards hiking mountain biking and even a few dunks in the water she will be sorely missed..

Approaching Garden Creek Gap on the Arimo road.

Inside the Gap, an impressive stretch huge rocks on either side of you.

On the other side of the gap you enter Hawkins Basin for a good warm up stretch of gravel road.

An old dam site i found, no signage no information but just South of Daniels resivor.

After a brief stop at Malad City to top off the tank it was off to Holbrock after this I would not see a paved road for a long time.

Black Pine Road

The only paved road I passed was going underneath I-84

This was the only traffic I saw along the road all afternoon.

Black Pine road become rougher and rougher until it looked...like this. The whole road was washed out in several places. this isnt the worse of it but was a good spot where I could stop the bike and grab a picture. Ruts can be scary on a bike, especially when you have to ride inbetween them. its a looong ways down.

And than..this there is a road in there...somewhere.

I was worried I was chasing a dead end, and not too excited about going back over some of the tough spots but had to press forward, eventually the road began to show signs of life again.

And I even passed some traffic!

Finally a sign! No GPS, and being somewhere in Utah when you only have a Idaho map I was riding on a hunch that I would end up somewhere. Also...when the sign has no arrows pointing in the direction you just came...that is somewhat significant isn't it?

The dirt road exited right between the Idaho/Utah border along a quiet highway.

I had never heard of Strevel but figured might as well head for it as it sounded like a town of some sort. Arriving in downtown Strevel I was welcomed with the following, What a town!

It was back to the dirt roads after only 2 or 3 miles of pavement and I was headed for the town of NAF, what a name.

Open desert, lonley roads, prong horn antelope lots of jackrabbits what a great ride, I eventually arrived at the City of the Silent Rocks. What a incredible area. At one point this was the busiest place in Idaho with 52000 passing through in a year, they signed rocks with axel grease and everywhere you can find there names in shadowy alcoves of Granite rock. it is now a quiet valley and is well worth a visit.

Met up with my cousin for a little rock climbing

The guy without a rope is his friend, teaching my cousin how to lead climb..without ropes! he shrugged it off and said he had climbed this route plenty. They were already a good 30 feet off the ground when this photo was taken.

My rope got snagged and I ended up stuck on a ledge for a good while as they sent another climber up to free my rope!

The following day was the return trip, I went through the raft river valley and by this time was loving the gravel roads and avoided pavement as much as possible.

Cool experimental Geothermal project in the valley.

Lighting started fire in the distance. I only got rained on once and had a storm system behind me and one in front of me the whole way home for a beautiful day.

Almost home...Massacre Rock state park. The large cut in the cliff wall is the site of an ancient massive waterfall from when Lake Bonneville burst several thousand years ago. the flow of the water was more than all of the rivers of North America combined.

Thanks for looking. I think I passed the test and I am craving the next ride!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
HBr
Flirting w/Martini's law

Oddometer: 286
Nice trip. I lived in Ucon for a stretch and played around in the area on my KLR often. Have you made it out to the Great Southern Butte? Neat stuff in the lava fields and high desert.

BTW, nice pics, but BIG! size 'em down a touch for us bandwidth challenged.
HBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
lunchmeat
MLI

Oddometer: 294
Right on! I grew up in the area and I miss it sorely. Thank you for posting this. If you get bored you can ride all the way to Jarbidge Nevada from where you left City of Rocks across the South Hills. You will eventually come out at Rogerson ID at Hwy 93, then just shoot across the highway and around the Little Salmon Resevoir. Lots of good camping and some fishing along the way. Now that would be a ride from Poky!!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
guitartramp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Pocatello to Jarbridge

I am new to adventure riding. I am planning a trip from Pocatello (where I live) to City of the Rocks. I would be interested in knowing exactly how to go from City of the Rocks to Jarbridge. If you are ever in my area and want to ride lemme know, thanks
guitartramp is offline   Reply With Quote