Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #31
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Agree with others to the OP, that you're probably responsive to seeing the motorcycle that you are interested in. But 99.8% of the population aren't like you/us.

I'm another long-timer and currently have a screaming orange Olympia Patton jacket, old blue 'Stitch the kids call "Papa Smurf", a silver/grey summer mesh jacket, and older black/red Kilimanjaro. If wearing anything but the orange Patton jacket, the behavior of cages is pretty nonchalant and similar. Cars will ride up my tail and immediately next to me. See the faces of oncoming car drivers on backroad twisties and they seldom are looking back at me.

Put on the orange/red Patton and that all changes immediately. Same me, same roads, same bike. But I have room behind me, next to me, and in the twisties you can actually see their faces register. I used to shake my head at hi-viz and only got the orange as a commuter jacket, but have come around. There's a solid improvement.

I just got back from a foreign mountain ride, where the roads are very tight and twisty. Note that the low wall doesn't go all the way around in the following photo, so if you miss this curve it's about 300 feet down. It's totally common to be going around something like this and find a tour bus at least halfway into your lane. No theory, I've seen the oncoming traffic actually use an extra second or so in recognition/response and get back into their lane faster.

If renting in a far-off place, I take the hi-viz, as there is an easily perceptible difference in the room people give, especially oncoming. The last thing I want is to be run off the road and end in some foreign hospital if there's anything at all that I can do to avoid it.

Wreckchecker
Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #32
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
I don't tend to notice hi-vis that much on other motorcyclists because I am already looking for their bikes. But I tell you what - on runners and bicyclists, the Hi-vis jumps right out at me. I live next to a narrow county road that lots of cyclists like to ride on and I wish I could give every one of them a vest to try to prevent some spaced out cager from plowing into them.

As for me, I don't really feel that cars pay me any more heed when I wear my red jacket versus my Hi-vis jacket (I have a white helmet now too). In general I think the KLR is pretty conspicuous... If I ever get the Magna running right, that will be the real test

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
NtShiny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
http://www.bmwmoafoundation.org/moto...ticle0712.html

For your reading pleasure.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #34
rambis
Ramblin' on

Oddometer: 4,019
I think I notice the bright orange and green colors more because of my profession(engineering). Whether it be a high rise, highway or airport project, safety vests are mandatory. When I drive/ride, I look out for the bright colored "Construction Ahead" signs and workers that wear those colors.

I can see how one would be so used to looking for bikes that they don't really notice the bright colors until after the bike has been identified. I guess I've just been trained to look for both.
rambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #35
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Go ahead and wear the hi-viz if it floats your boat, and makes you feel safer. Just don't make the false assumption that just because you're wearing something bright that it means they can see you. Regardless of what color your gear is, ride like you're invisible.

Never, ever say to yourself "Of course they can see me. I'm wearing my _____ jacket!"

Personally, I ride a black motorcycle, with a black, leather, Joe Rocket jacket and a black helmet. I make zero assumptions, especially when riding at night. I do have a retro-reflective stripe on my jacket, and a retro-reflective sticker on my bike, but that's it.

I get people slowing down, and getting over for me, but I'm guessing it's because my bike has that cop-bike look to it.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #36
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
It's not that I don't find it fashionable. It's just that my eyes don't notice it with any greater urgency than other riding gear.
Because the idea that hi viz will increase cager awareness is bullshit?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #37
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee
Go ahead and wear the hi-viz if it floats your boat, and makes you feel safer. Just don't make the false assumption that just because you're wearing something bright that it means they can see you. Regardless of what color your gear is, ride like you're invisible.

Never, ever say to yourself "Of course they can see me. I'm wearing my _____ jacket!"

Personally, I ride a black motorcycle, with a black, leather, Joe Rocket jacket and a black helmet. I make zero assumptions, especially when riding at night. I do have a retro-reflective stripe on my jacket, and a retro-reflective sticker on my bike, but that's it.
I don't "feel" safer with hi-viz. I don't "assume" cagers will see me. I don't ride any different because I have a yellow jacket and white helmet on. But I do believe some drivers, some of the time, will be more likely to see me. If 13.2% of drivers will notice me 7.8% more of the time when I wear hi-viz, I'll take that.

Why is it that you've got those reflective stickers on your bike? And being retro-reflective, they are in fact more hi-viz than regular reflection. And a whole hell of a lot more hi-viz than no reflection at all. You don't assume someone will notice you better with those on, now do you? I suggest you peel those off before you get too complacent.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #38
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus McGee

I get people slowing down, and getting over for me, but I'm guessing it's because my bike has that cop-bike look to it.
Your lecture on hi-viz may be the most obtuse opinion I've ever read on the subject.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #39
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donster
Your lecture on hi-viz may be the most obtuse opinion I've ever read on the subject.

I am with Angus McGee on this one. I wear Black (most of the time) and my bike is Black.

I rely on my riding and vigilance to keep me safe. I don't give a rip if the cage drivers see me.

It is my responsibility to avoid them... whatever they do.

Riding would be a bit less fun if everyone knew I was there and stayed out of my way.

Keep it fun. Wear Black.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #40
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ

I am with Angus McGee on this one.
Did you just admit to being obtuse, DAKEZ.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #41
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
Did you just admit to being obtuse, DAKEZ.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #42
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 832
Jesus....would you keep it with normal English?? Had to look for a dictionary....

Dakez...you are Obtuse...
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 AM   #43
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,586
Commute

I commute through a constuction zone. Last week I had a worker in Hi Vis clothing waving a Hi Vis stop sign against a background of Hi Vis safety barriers with Hi Vis Machinery working in the background. The stopped KTM with the Hi Vis clothed rider was near invisible. The rider would have stood out more wearing Urban Camo.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #44
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Because the idea that hi viz will increase cager awareness is bullshit?
Depends where you are. If I'm on the open highway, sure. Somebody seeing me a second or two faster probably makes no difference. And I totally agree that I still ride like I'm invisible.

But...

In DC commuting traffic where it can be bumper to bumper at 70 mph with lots of lane changing, (right before stop & go that's right after somebody inevitably screws up) the difference in space around me wearing a plain jacket versus the orange is VERY noticeable. I truly get less fast lane changers near me and less tail-gaters. There's been a conspicuous difference in WVa/MD/PA tight roads, too, that you may not have in New Mexico. Popping through twisties in the trees and watching for the eyes of car drivers coming around a curve, there's a no-shite difference in their looking.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #45
doylejj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ

I am with Angus McGee on this one. I wear Black (most of the time) and my bike is Black.

I rely on my riding and vigilance to keep me safe. I don't give a rip if the cage drivers see me.

It is my responsibility to avoid them... whatever they do.

Riding would be a bit less fun if everyone knew I was there and stayed out of my way.

Keep it fun. Wear Black.
I started wearing hi-viz after a get-off that left me in the middle of the road, barely able to move and concussion-impaired. I don't even want to think about doing that at night in all black. The experience gave me a new dimension of the addage "dress for the crash not for the ride".

'06 Buell Ulysses
'05 BMW F650 Dakar
'04 BMW R1150R
'04 VStrom 1000
'00 Concours
'00 GL1500 Goldwing

Photo site: http://www.pbase.com/doylejj

doylejj screwed with this post 10-07-2009 at 07:12 AM
doylejj is offline   Reply With Quote