ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #151
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
That is easy to get around by making it a GPS map rather than a GPX file. I've got TAT created as a Garmin Map
I must admit to being naive on this one, does everybody use Garmin now?

Quote:
Someone posting tracks of a wicked cool ride in Hawaii to this forum would be thanked and asked to move along.
We have made plans for that, "A Hole in the Fence" and the "TetBike".

Quote:
NorthernTraveler certainly believes there to be confines.
Sad, but true. He has a bad habit of stopping at oceans edge. But, the new TetBike should cure that. He gets a Limited Edition at a discount when they go into production.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #152
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I must admit to being naive on this one, does everybody use Garmin now?
No, but for those that do absolutely no sacrifices need to be made. They can have as many track points and waypoints without any cause for concern regardless of the unit (if it uses MapSource). How can that be anything but a benefit?

You know what? You win Chip, I've got better things to do than to suffer your vipe. Best of luck with this. I hope it turns into something useful. I'm out of here.

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #153
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 611
Single Track

Just as a somewhat outside observer, being the 'second cousin, twice removed' kinda participant(only by riding and having fun) in some of this... I just have to express my extreme appreciation and respect to the folks that have poured their passion into this concept. The fellowship and sense of 'family and neighbor' that permeates the ADV community of inmates is an awesome thing.

Just a shout out to say thanks for your passion for our passion...

intothenew- I need a new GPS... Do I have to buy a Garmin???

NorthernTraveler- Thanks for putting up with my 'poor attitude' baggage when we met and rode together on that leg of the TAT!

MoBill- Still haven't met you, but still glad you are state-side and riding!

craftycoder- bye.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #154
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Riding on water

Hey!

I HAVE ridden on water.... on my snowmobile!

I would LOVE to go all the way to the keys.... BUT, it's a long way down Florida, and looking at the maps there are some major cities in the way. I've also been to the keys and don't remember anything but pavement there.

Would it be possible? Maybe. But lots of miles of sandy roads at best, and lots of dodging around for said cities.

If I have time one of these years to lay something out down that way, I'll try to.

In the mean time I'm glad to have something that WORKS!

It starts someplace kinda neat, it goes over a variety of interesting terrain and surfaces, and it connects to something else to carry on. So it's all good!
NorthernTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #155
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Here is the current dilemma, a nice one I might add.

How to package that into a cross platform file is MY current goal. That represents all of the current submissions that have active track logs. And I quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Track logs rule:
There is just that warm and fuzzy feeling that YOU made it out alive.
And I stress the word "active", these are not hand drawn. Better than 90% of this exists in the separate files listed in the second post. I am simply trying to consolidate as much as possible. And, hopefully we can come to terms on protocols for future development.

We may not be able to get all of this into one file. If not, publish Tet as the backbone route running North/South? Route sheets? I keed, I keed. It's a huge and wonderful file. This of course does not include any of the waypoints that have been gathered nor the routes that will be required for many to use it.

I'm pouring coffee and sodas today, non of the hard stuff. Well, maybe I will have just a beer.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #156
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
I don't see why it won't fit into a simple .gpx file since such a file will hold waypoints and multiple tracks. It may be a large one but it will work cross platform. If necessary you could post in gdb format, too, for the bandwidth challenged. Or, if necessary break it up into smaller gpx files by state.

If you need or want any help with the packaging or hosting PM me --- I have the time, the online storage space and the bandwidth.

In any event, I would make no attempt to filter the tracks down to fit every GPS device. Let the folks who download the file(s) do that --- they should know what works best on their device.

And what is this talk about a gpx MAP file? What is that? Are you talking about what the Delorme folks refer to as a "draw layer"?

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #157
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,444
You don't have to have a Garmin. You can convert via GPSBabel...I'm happy to do the conversion for any of you.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 AM   #158
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
I don't see why it won't fit into a simple .gpx file since such a file will hold waypoints and multiple tracks. It may be a large one but it will work cross platform. If necessary you could post in gdb format, too, for the bandwidth challenged. Or, if necessary break it up into smaller gpx files by state.

If you need or want any help with the packaging or hosting PM me --- I have the time, the online storage space and the bandwidth.

In any event, I would make no attempt to filter the tracks down to fit every GPS device. Let the folks who download the file(s) do that --- they should know what works best on their device.

And what is this talk about a gpx MAP file? What is that? Are you talking about what the Delorme folks refer to as a "draw layer"?
ADV GPS Demographics

10% get it. They really get it. They can slice and dice any file. I love those guys.

40% are proficient. They can whittle a common file to suit their needs. I love those guys.

25% are sleep walking. They can load a common file, but have little or no edit experience. I love those guys.

25% have no clue. The process of opening the file is intimidating. I love those guys.

That is an evaluation based on the people I have dealt with to date. One GPX file of less than 15 tracks, a redundant 15 routes, less than 500 way points, the tracks filtered to less than 500, and the routes containing less than 250 points seems to make things rather seamless. Just about everybody can drink that. That's just the right amount of beans in the coffee, not too strong, not too weak.

When you step away from that brew, many have issues, and that is not just the "sleep walkers" and "clueless". "Got it" and "proficient" may have a unit that requires them to carry a net book, if it requires multiple files for them to do the miles.

If I understand both correctly, the "Garmin Map" and "Delorme Draw Layer" are of similar concept. Either would be an elegant fix if they were cross platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
And what is this talk about a gpx MAP file?
If that existed, a cross platform map file, I could set down and watch football.

This tirade that I have been on is meant to be controversial, and get some people to think. I'm thinking of everybody on that demographic list, this all may be in vain. But know this, I love you all.

I'll send you a copy AugustFalcon.

Coffee? Juice?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #159
TreeManG23
TreeMan Racing

Oddometer: 902
Just wanted to let everyone know why I have not added anything to this post in a while. I had been very busy with work & then This Happened

I still am working on refining my routes. It will still 2 weeks or so before I can ride again. But by then, our Christmas Tree Farm will be keeping me busy for a couple of months

2004 KLR650, 1985 KLR250
2001 KX 250 #762 B
SmugMug Discount Coupon d5HbqatMuaR3a
TreeManG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #160
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

The active track log on many units has incredibly more potential. 10k points on some. On most? Very few?

How many units could you possibly "inject" with one or more active logs.

How many units can you Troute fish with?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #161
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Use the direct route concept with tracks? I honestly think that I can get 30 "days" of riding in one file with that. Then, a map file for the "track challenged".

Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #162
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
I think what Chip wants to do is build a proven route and I agree with him there 100%, we definately could use a North > South (east coast) proven route that's 100% legal, great to ride and has tracks, waypoints and a nicley pinned down route that works for most gps units.

However, we can't do it alone, we need everyone's track data, waypoints and notes in order to put it all together. As far as proven routes go we currenty have the TWVT > PA Connector > TNJT > NY Connector (in progress) > TMAT > VT Puppy Dog Route. So, I'm really looking for more data for ME, NH and CT and of course anything south of WV. I rarley go in that direction but Chips down there and does a great job of putting routes together and collecting data. However, if anyone wants to help out in the deep south (ie: FL, GA) please contact me, I plan on being in western FL this November.

Also, I'm interested in seeing your tracks and routes that may be off the AT route, maybe it's worth a re-route. My only requirement is that at the time it's 100% legal to ride.

Since I'm into street bikes now I'm also interested in a twisty route alternative to the adventure routes.
Sorry I hadn't seen this before now. I've been working on a continuance of the TAT to the Atlantic thru the Southeastern states including Florida. I'm since calling it a supplement, not wanting to infringe on Sam's accomplishments and hard work (it ends within 40-50 miles of the TAT and connects to it by a single, paved and scenic highway).

I now see other routes already in place so it can just be another option. Also maybe it can be used to help continue the TET if that's the direction it wants to go in. I call it the SET (southeast trail), it runs from Tellico Plains, Tenn. to just north of Ormond Beach, Fla. at the ocean. It's about 80% done (pre-ridden) just need to finish a few sections then figure mileage for fuel stops and overnight stays. It goes right by four state parks that have camping (some have cabins) and is fairly close to three others.

It should be big bike or two-up doable (blue?) and will have at least three options to cross the Appalacians, fairly direct, longer and thus more scenic, and longer and more difficult (fun?). Then there's the sand in S. Ga. and Fla., of which the worst can be mostly avoided, but there could be a few short stretches of the deeper variety : )

As far as going to the Keys it may be doable but won't be easy. I've got routes on mostly dirt from the Ga. border down to hwy. 44 (Cassia) on the East side or hwy 40 (Dunnellon) on the West side of the peninsula but anything beyond that is getting into urban sprawl and after that a big old swamp all the way to Miami : ). I guess you could sort of parallel US27 down to Key Largo but don't know how much of it would be dirt. Maybe someone down there could work on it.

Anyway, should be done in a few months, and hopefully can get a buddy to translate it to GPS. Hope this helps some.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #163
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

In considering the format for releasing this version of Tet, I feel compelled to take note of what is going on around the forum.

Folks are still running the TAT and Sam continues to update the route. The overwhelming direction of travel is East to West. Many are running it a piece at a time. As BlueLghtning has mentioned, few have time to complete it as a whole. But, of the ones that do complete it as a whole, many ponder on the return alternatives. Slab back, ship the bike and fly, rent a u-haul, etc. are some of the alternatives.

NorthernTraveler has been working on what he terms a Northern route. Using some of Bigdog’s, Cannonshot’s , mine, and his own tracks, he is working on what could become a clockwise return North of the TAT.

The Canadians are well on their way to completing TCAT(Trans Canadian Trail). With a little more effort on our part, it is conceivable that TCAT could be used as a return route. I would estimate that to be 80-100 days in the saddle. Ambitious I know, but what a lovely thought? An extension of the PCQ or CDR linking to the TCAT in BC? An extension from the North end of Tet linking to the TCAT in Ontario?

The aforementioned represent a macro view. What is missing? A run in and/or out of Alaska and something West to East in the Southern arena come to mind. The TAT as the backbone, the Northern route as a clockwise wing, and the Southern route as a counterclockwise wing of the “Butterfly”.

Now I will come back down to earth a little and look at the micro view. TART, Atlanta to Florida, SET, Blue Ridge Trail, and the works of TreeManG23 all cater to a localized run. Or, if incorporated correctly, those could offer minor butterfly loops. These could offer the rider with only 1-2 weeks of vacation a nice way to go out and back with minimal slab. That exists in some since now with the Twvt, down the ST and up the T3/T4 routes or up the NC. With a little work, the NC leg could be joined with TPAT. That loop could be as short as 4 days or as long as 12. With the work that is going on in the South right now, I figure it to be short term before the same is possible.

I think we can have it both ways. Release two files. Release them together; you get both with a request. The North half of Tet runs North to South, the South half runs South to North. All connectors butterfly out the opposite direction. I can rework the Twvt to accommodate that by the projected release date. We get much more manageable file sizes with that, and we accommodate the long and short approaches to riding it.

The Butterfly release? Whatcha think?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #164
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill
Anyway, should be done in a few months, and hopefully can get a buddy to translate it to GPS.
How does it exist now, on paper, in your head? I'll help you any way I can.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #165
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
I'm not sure I understand the significance of North to South vs. South to North, etc. It is a pretty simple matter to reverse any of them as needed.

What I would most like to see for the TET is parallel routes. At least in the southern end, we often have more than one way to traverse an area. Parallel routes would allow anyone to make a loop anywhere. Go out on one route and back on the other. Where there are insufficient roads for parallel routes, the routes could converge.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote