ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #646
Groundbound
n00b

Oddometer: 7
PDF Receipt

Chip...thanks so much. I recieved the PDF file and look forward to getting out on the trail :)

Mike
Groundbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #647
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 714
This sounds like my kind of trip and its not nearly as planning and time intensive as the TAT. Would love to fill out the form and get the files. There is just one problem. I am totally fucktarded when it comes to gps. My knowledge stops at finding myself on a paper map from the latitude and longitude on the gps. Which system would you all suggest for a trip like this? Im looking for plug and play with these files.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #648
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
............Im looking for plug and play with these files.

Ain't gonna happen, least ways as far as any unit that I am aware of.

These files have become so large that I know of no unit that will hold all of the information contained in them. You will have to be proficient enough to cut and use only what you need. There are quite a few different paths and alternates.

I offer, as a minimum, that you get a unit that will direct route and/or handle tracks. Beyond that, I suggest that you spend a little time watching the GPS 101 subforum. Wade in amongst em'.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #649
dcarlisle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
tet

Is it possible to load these gpx files and/or load routes from mapsource or google maps to a nuvi 500 or 550?
dcarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #650
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
Ain't gonna happen, least ways as far as any unit that I am aware of.

These files have become so large that I know of no unit that will hold all of the information contained in them. You will have to be proficient enough to cut and use only what you need. There are quite a few different paths and alternates.

I offer, as a minimum, that you get a unit that will direct route and/or handle tracks. Beyond that, I suggest that you spend a little time watching the GPS 101 subforum. Wade in amongst em'.
i believe i could cut and paste what i need. but is there a certain kind of gps that reads the type of file that this route is written in better? I have a OLD Garmin right now and tope 24 or 100 or something for the northeast. The gps I have will only hold the equivalent of like 4 pages from a gazetteer. I have never done anything with it besides look at the screen and see if there is a road or trail around me.

And I have been in the sub forum its like there speaking Greek and any thread I have posted has been met with less than enthusiastic replies.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #651
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Got the document! Waiting for the rest.
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #652
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Finally after me being a real pain in the sternum .. I got the email .. so if you could send along the files I would be most appreciative.
Sirwrexalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #653
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlisle View Post
Is it possible to load these gpx files and/or load routes from mapsource or google maps to a nuvi 500 or 550?
Kind, sorta, maybe. I have never helt, felt, or smelt, a Nuvi. But from what I know on the specs, they will hold 10 routes and direct route(offroad route). In theory, that is ten days(approximately 2000 miles) from these files. I don't know if there is any via point limit. There is a waypoint limit, 500 I think?

Quote:
i believe i could cut and paste what i need. but is there a certain kind of gps that reads the type of file that this route is written in better? I have a OLD Garmin right now and tope 24 or 100 or something for the northeast. The gps I have will only hold the equivalent of like 4 pages from a gazetteer. I have never done anything with it besides look at the screen and see if there is a road or trail around me.

And I have been in the sub forum its like there speaking Greek and any thread I have posted has been met with less than enthusiastic replies.
Again, in theory, you don't have to have a base map to use these files. If you can transfer a route (and direct route) or a track, you can simply follow the "Green Brick Road". But, I would not recommend leaving without at least a base map on the GPS and a nice hardcopy. Do you know the capabilities of how/if you can load tracks/routes to your unit?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #654
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]............but is there a certain kind of gps that reads the type of file that this route is written in better?.............

I think the answer to that is no. But in any case that I know of, gpx is the most universal file. You need some type of software to get the file from the email I send you onto your unit. Some units may only require that you copy it directly to a memory card of some sort, then install that in the unit. Some units require a dedicated piece of software to communicate with the unit. Mapsource, Basecamp, and Google Earth are a few. In any of the above cases, I know of no unit that will hold all of the information supplied. Assuming that is true, you need software that will open and edit a gpx file. Mapsource, Basecamp, Mapsend, Delorme, Maptech, the list can go on and on, are some programs that will edit a gpx. The bottom line is that you need to become familiar with the software supplied with your unit, and know the capabilities of your unit so you can edit the gpx accordingly.

A simple knowledge of the max limit of such things as tracks, routes, waypoints, and via points, of your unit will help you tremendously.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #655
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Quote:
Do you know the capabilities of how/if you can load tracks/routes to your unit?
yes, but it only holds enough for a day hike.

Quote:
A simple knowledge of the max limit of such things as tracks, routes, waypoints, and via points, of your unit will help you tremendously.
i need a new unit.

back to GPS 101
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #656
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
yes, but it only holds enough for a day hike.............

How many tracks does it hold? How many points per track?

What I am getting at with those questions is that a lot of tracks, especially hiking tracks, are composed of points(breadcrumbs if you will) every few feet. Most units cannot hold that amount of information other than an active track(the one it is laying down/making. You don't need that kind of detail to follow a road. The TET/TETS files are rather course grained tracks, because of that. Maybe you do need a GPS, but maybe you don't.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #657
tconnell
Old Nocker.. Gitin' Young

Oddometer: 41
Received the Comfirmation

Chip,

Got the confirmation email. Looking forward to receiving the .GPX File

Thanks a Bunch.

tconnell
09 KLR-688 Black 50+ TAT Mods - 1999 BMW K1200LT - 2007 BMW K1200LT with Hanningn Europa II trailer
tconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #658
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Got the TET PDF file in my email.
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #659
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Had a great ride!