Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Scooter1942 OP
Average Dude

Oddometer: 69
Wink Am I a girly man if I lower my F800?

I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the hive. Please be gentle.

I'm 5'6" with 29-30" inseam. I normally ride a Triumph Bonneville that allows me to flatfoot at stops. However a couple of weeks ago I broke down and bought an F800GS with the low seat.

Essentially, it is everything I can do to get the balls of both feet on the ground at stops. It's actually more like ball of one foot, toes of the other. I'm learning to just shift to one side, but I like the confidence of being able to put both feet down. With a passenger or luggage I get some compression on the springs, but not much.

Of course the salesmen at both shops I went to, scoffed at the idea of lowering the bike or going with the low seat. They also promised that it would compress a little over time. They said simply that I just needed to get used to it and learn to ride a big bike. Ok, maybe so. However, one of the shops had one last '09 F8 in stock with the factory low seat, so I snagged it.

My plans are to use the bike for some mini adventures that will consist of mostly paved roads with 10%-20% gravel or packed dirt. I don't plan, nor do I intend to ride this like a dirt bike. I don't currently have the skill or desire for this.

With that being said, I'm seriously contemplating buying the 2" Hyperpro lowering kit and then buying the Sargent seat. I'd gain two inches with the Hyperpro but then lose an inch by going to an improved stock seat with the Sargent. Of course, I'd lose two inches of ground clearance and shock travel, but I'd gain an inch of leg room in the box. I have no idea how handling would change.

So, what say the hive? Man up and learn to ride a bike that "feels" to big for me? Or, drop it down and gain some confidence and a nicer platform for my ass? Will I get used to the taller bike and gain confidence with use, or is it just a matter of time before I drop it at a light?

Please advise.
Scooter1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
brian81
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
If you're not doing a lot of off road riding why didn't you go with the F650GS? Same bike but more street oriented, and cheaper
brian81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
My advise would be to ride the bike for a while and then make your decision. I'm about the same size and have the low seat on mine and am comfortable with the bike. I come from the dirt bike side of things though so I'm used to a tall bike.

I'd be willing to bet that you find yourself comfortable on it pretty quick.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
You should be fine. Get out and ride it until you are comfortable. On my GSA there is no way for me to have both feet solid on the ground. I had to take the steel toe caps off my boots for fear of slipping, yet I ride on.

So just get out there and love your ride!!!

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
I also come from a dirt background, so some seat height isn't too scary for me. I learned to stop with just one foot down, and the other on the peg and it's just stuck with me I guess. I find that even though I could get the toes of both feet down, I'm way more comfortable with the left foot on the ground and the right stays on the peg/brake. If I've misjudged the terrain or am about to tip right, I just touch down on that side instead. I think you'll get used to it and end up wanting all the ground clearance you can get.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
I have a shorter or equal inseam to you and with my upgraded suspension the F800GS sits higher than stock . I can barely tiptoe the thing and usually captain morgan it at stop lights. I am sure the cagers behind be think it's funny and wish to see me slip on the oil stain in the middle of the lane and go down. Why do it do it?... I don't want to compromise the suspension and when I am on the pegs it doesn't matter.

Besides... if I dump it at ultra low speeds where I want to put a foot down there will be no damage because of the crash protection (i've done it a few times already...) BUT if you hit that stump, stone or pothole and case out you are gonna wish you had those inches.

In all honesty, I am not that good off road and I am kinda talking out my ass, I just don't want to compromise the suspension that I hopefully will be able to fully utilize when I get the required experience, skills, or balls.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Scooter1942 OP
Average Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian81
If you're not doing a lot of off road riding why didn't you go with the F650GS? Same bike but more street oriented, and cheaper
Originally, I was going to go with the 650 for that very reason. However, I decided that the extra horsepower of the F800 would be better for those occasions when I'm riding two up or carrying a load.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I have been facing this question myself for some time, and I have decided to go lower even though I am taller than the OP and I can get both feet down (not flat) on the bike with a heavy rear preload (which I think is necessary for this bike to work right off road).

The primary reason is the ability to spin the bike around comfortably off road. I have had my F8 off road quite a lot, and there are times when you decide that the trail is simply not working out. Those are the times when you want to plant a foot, angle the forks over, and spin it around. It is a bit too tall and heavy for me to do this manuever without some drama. I am going to go lower and take my chances with ground clearance. Stepping off and trying to work the bike around is just too painful.

If I was spending most of my time on the street, I would leave it as is.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Road Sailor
Regnad Kcin

Oddometer: 35
I used to own a KTM 640 AdventureR, 37.5" seat height, me I'm 5'-10" with a 32" inseam. Coming to stop on pavement with such a difference in height definately gives one "pause" before coming to a complete stop. I got used to sliding my butt to one side and getting a foot down while the other was on the peg. I never dropped it on pavement, even with a full tank of gas 9 gallons! But I was always worried that I would drop it at a stoplight, a healthy dose of fear keeps us alive.
The key is to ensure visually that the foot that's going down is on ground without oil, gravel, sloped, etc.etc.etc. I'd say give it some time, but you gotta trust what your gut is telling you.

'09 Wee in Orange
CoMotion Speedster - Carbon Fork and Flight Deck

Road Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,980
yes
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
BlackHammer
Celtic Canadian

Oddometer: 131
Yes you are , Are you hot at least ??
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Road Sailor
Regnad Kcin

I'd also recommend doing whatever you can to build up those quads a bit, there's a lot to be said for more muscle when you need a hand against gravity.

'09 Wee in Orange

Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
Scooter1942 OP
Average Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHammer
Yes you are , Are you hot at least ??

Smokin'
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
Being able to get a foot down is not something a salesman should scoff at.

Get the bike, do what you need to to make it work for you and apologize to no one.

"It will compress over time" there's a lame sales line... I think they meant to say the suspension will 'wear-in' and then 'wear out...'
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Road Sailor
Regnad Kcin

Maybe BMW will offer an option like the Piaggio MP3, push a button and it stays upright!

'09 Wee in Orange