Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #1696
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Looked at the link... Until recently I had a C6 Corvette with the eight cylinder version. The motor is fantastic (as is the mag suspension). Push rods and all. OH cams and desmo (not to mention solid lifters) were answers to a question that did need answering, once upon a time. But maybe no longer. What the Motus may provide, is a sophisticated version of a technology which has been so often produced in an unsophisticated form in the past.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1697
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
Agreed, the rubber band valve timing & desmo valves are a real PITA for a high mileage ride...You have to do it yourself to keep cost under control....but very time consuming.....but it IS a nice ride.

Motus won't have this issue.
ST4s always come up for sale right before the big service. I was drooling over one earlier this year with less than 1000km to its first major service. It tells you something about the seller if they don't mention that little detail - "Oh yeah, in 1000km, you are looking at a $1500-$2000 service bill".

I am amazed that Motus can blatantly rip off the GM V-8 design and not have GM legal all over them. Specially when they publicly use it as a selling point. We are talking about the same GM that blocked the sale of SAAB over concerns about its technology (and rightly so).

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #1698
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I am amazed that Motus can blatantly rip off the GM V-8 design and not have GM legal all over them. Specially when they publicly use it as a selling point. We are talking about the same GM that blocked the sale of SAAB over concerns about its technology (and rightly so).
I don't think there's anything proprietary about the Chevy small block at this point. Motus' use of the same basic engine architecture allows them to use off-the-shelf pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, valves, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, timing chains, etc., saving them a huge amount of development cost.

S&S used many of the same components for their "Wedge" V-twin introduced a few years ago.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #1699
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
The engine was developed by Katech, which does the racing corvette engines.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #1700
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
It's been a few years since I designed exhaust systems for a living, but I'm having a really hard time believing the exhaust system shown will meet legal noise requirements for a new bike. I'm wondering who is developing the exhaust for them, I'd be surprised if an aftermarket company could/would. But then I already said that about the TBR system they had earlier so I'll shut up now.

AND FWIW I want Motus to succeed so don't read more into that than just an observation.
Akropovic himself designed the new exhaust.

How can Motus get Sargent, Ohlins, Brembo, etc to even give them the time of day, much less work with them to develop things for the bikes? The economy. I don't recall which video it is, but there's a youtube interview of Lee Conn, the President of Motus. He explains that normally these companies wouldn't give a startup the time of day. However, business is so slow that they called back when Motus called. It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #1701
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post

How can Motus get Sargent, Ohlins, Brembo, etc to even give them the time of day, much less work with them to develop things for the bikes? The economy. I don't recall which video it is, but there's a youtube interview of Lee Conn, the President of Motus. He explains that normally these companies wouldn't give a startup the time of day. However, business is so slow that they called back when Motus called. It's a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
Nice. I never thought of it that way.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #1702
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Found it!

Here's the video I mentioned-

Lee Conn Interview

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #1703
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Girl View Post
I still find it hard to believe the exhaust shown can meet legal noise.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #1704
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
I still find it hard to believe the exhaust shown can meet legal noise.
As with other details on that photo, that may not be the final version.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #1705
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Hey Moronic... on a lighter aside, when I was a dumb-ass kid I drove a BMW from Berlin to Perth. Amazing beaches -- unless they're all built up now. Great riding!
Must have been quite a trip. Glad you have fond memories. The beaches are as good as ever - even the sharks think so. Hasn't got built up. Lots of local resistance to that. Riding is nice once you get out of town but I miss the east coast.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #1706
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Saw them at barber. Did not care for the sound at all. Price was double what I would pay if I wanted one
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #1707
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
I don't think there's anything proprietary about the Chevy small block at this point. Motus' use of the same basic engine architecture allows them to use off-the-shelf pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, valves, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, timing chains, etc., saving them a huge amount of development cost.

S&S used many of the same components for their "Wedge" V-twin introduced a few years ago.
I doubt the bore/stroke ratio of the Baby Block motor will accomadate off the shelf internals. Everything in the Baby Block is downsized. If it was built as a V-8 it would be 3.3 liters. No GM V-8's built in that size that I know of.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1708
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
I do like the idea of a bike being pre-upgraded to the fullest before you buy it.... that is, if you can afford it....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #1709
whisperquiet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Who has been riding their new Motus??........ride report, etc.
whisperquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #1710
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
So I was just on E-bay, and the number of fucking retarded Harley "custom" bikes going for well over 30K is truly astounding.

WHy will people pay 30K for a a (badly) lowered road glide that had the fairing removed, a 30" front wheel put on with flames for spokes and a sparkly purple paint job but bitch about paying 30K for an extremely functional, usable, fast, practical, well engineered motorcycle like the Motus? I just don't get it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote