ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #1741
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
I thought this thread had died along with Motus I keed I keed.....
I am wondering when these bikes are actually going to become real, buyable, ridable machines tho. When are they supposed to be for sale to the public? And when will we start hearing some feedback from the streets?
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1742
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 559
I was one of the people who put down 1000 bucks after they visited Houston in August of 2011. It looked great, fit me ergonomically and just excited me like Buell did back in the early 90s when I discovered them. Having been an adopter of Buells early on and even with all the problems that came with them, I wasn't too worried about Motus being an upstart.

Then when they released the final price, I asked for the money back. I was will to pay up to 18k and maybe up to 20k if I thought the final configuration was worthy of it.

__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #1743
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,808
I just can't see $40 grand in that thing. It looks just like a Honda ST1300, including the engine layout. The Honda (which it looks like they dropped for 2013) is better made, higher quality, will last longer, has shaft drive, and will have parts and service availability for a long time. And at less than half the price. But for $20 grand I would still go for the new Goldwing FB6. It's almost guaranteed to last 300,000 miles.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #1744
Worroll
Studly Adventurer
 
Worroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Southern CT
Oddometer: 760
I'm thinking by time it gets in production everyone will have forgotten about it...
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #1745
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I used to have a customer that had a Big Dog custom. It was about three or four years old (at the time) and had about 500 miles on it.

He called each spring for us to come out and pick it up. Take it in to the shop and have its oil changed and battery charged/replaced.

One time, I was the one who was tasked with going over to the guy's house to pick up the bike...

He lived in a suburban Faux Chateau. Garage that was three cars wide and two cars deep.

His Big Dog was in the garage with his dually, his cigarette boat, and his RV. They were all painted alike. White, with some swoopy/splashy '90s-looking graphics.

He was the type of guy who willingly pays $30k for butt jewelry, but could care less about a machine built for riders. He'd never take a second look at a motorcycle like the MOTUS.

Based on what I saw at our recent "biker rally", "Bikes, Blues, & BBQ", here in my area, there are LOTS of guys just like him.

My wife and I have take a handful of two week+ trips here in the states and we usually see quite a few Harleys touring around.

we just got back from three weeks in Mexico..... On our trip we did quite a bit more dirt than I thought we would - didn't bother me, hell I enjoyed it. But the entire trip we only saw two Harleys....

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #1746
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,808
Many riders tend to think of all cruisers as "butt jewelry" And some are. But many are not. I mostly ride cruisers on the road because of their comfort and their practicality. You can spend all day in the saddle and not hurt all over. There are plenty of options for loading them with lots of stuff, and you can put a windshield on them. Unfortunately many newer cruisers are not practical and don't handle as well as '80s cruisers. The Yamaha Viragos and Kawasaki Vulcans were excellent all around bikes. My current Vulcan 750 has over 75,000 hard miles on it. It is dirty, scratched, and shows wear. But those were some of the most enjoyable miles I have ever put on any bike. It is a 1985 design.

There are always a few people who will pay a ridiculous price for a piece of rolling artwork which is virtually worthless as a motorcycle. But as was said, those who want a functional motorcycle are not going to be into that kind of thing, and bikes like the ST1300, FJR1300, Concours 1400, and a number of others are far better sport tourers than the Motus, at less than half the price. So, the Motus comes up short on looks, performance, and functionality compared to many bikes half it's price or less. So what is there about it to like?
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #1747
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 707
Jerry -

Not to rain on your mini rant, and I've not ridden the Motus, but I'm going to say that based on weight and power alone the motus isn't going to come up short on performance. That thing is loaded with top shelf performance parts and carbon (s model) or forged rims. The looks, well, I agree its kind of homely, but I could live with it. The price, well, thats a tough one to swallow. I still look forward to being able to see one in the wild.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1748
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 559
One of the things I like about the Motus is it's simplicity in design so it will very easy to work on. No smorgasborg of acronym'd gadgetry to cause problems. Should be as easy as a R100 to keep running. Styling is fine with me. It's functional and well integrated in relation to the rider. For what it offers, as is said, it is easily more than twice the price it should be offered at if it were offered in the same quantities as more established marques. In the limited quantities is will be in now, $25k would seem ok for a first year run. However, I'm not one who's willing to pay off their investment loans competely in the first year

One of the things I wish it had is ABS and I wish the direct injection would have come to fruition. With the addition of these, $20k would likely be a proper price in reasonable production quantities.
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #1749
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I But for $20 grand I would still go for the new Goldwing FB6. It's almost guaranteed to last 300,000 miles.
You'd cross shop the lard-assed Honda custom cruiser with this lithe sport-touring machine?

Really?

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #1750
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
One of the things I like about the Motus is it's simplicity in design so it will very easy to work on. No smorgasborg of acronym'd gadgetry to cause problems. Should be as easy as a R100 to keep running. Styling is fine with me. It's functional and well integrated in relation to the rider. For what it offers, as is said, it is easily more than twice the price it should be offered at if it were offered in the same quantities as more established marques. In the limited quantities is will be in now, $25k would seem ok for a first year run. However, I'm not one who's willing to pay off their investment loans competely in the first year

One of the things I wish it had is ABS and I wish the direct injection would have come to fruition. With the addition of these, $20k would likely be a proper price in reasonable production quantities.
And to me that's getting more and more important. Follow any of the threads on the BMWs, the Multistrada, and even the Kawi Concours and how many riders have experienced problems with their fancy electronic keys, suspension etc. My new Tiger 800 is pretty darn archaic compared and I still enjoy the simplicity of my DR650. There's something to be said for simple designs that just work. I totally agree about the pricing as well, had they added ABS and kept the direct injection it may have been worth the money they're asking.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #1751
Boredsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 387
Motus needs a manufacturing partner to drive prices down (with economies of scale) and to tap into a sales infastructure - i.e. Polaris.

Polaris could buy Motus and get the vehicles into production and launched for March of 2013 (15K seems about right price-wise). Polaris could sell Motus alongside their existing (and new "Indian") dealers and it would save them having to design their own proprietary street bike powerplant. Motus would still be a "Made-in-the-USA" brand with the added bonus of engineering/R&D ties to one of the best engine builders in the world.

Of course, this is would never happen.... I'm guessing for Motus the hard part now is gonna be securing dealers and floor financing. Their pricing is nuts.
Boredsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1752
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredsurfer View Post
Motus needs a manufacturing partner to drive prices down (with economies of scale) and to tap into a sales infastructure - i.e. Polaris.

Polaris could buy Motus and get the vehicles into production and launched for March of 2013 (15K seems about right price-wise). Polaris could sell Motus alongside their existing (and new "Indian") dealers and it would save them having to design their own proprietary street bike powerplant. Motus would still be a "Made-in-the-USA" brand with the added bonus of engineering/R&D ties to one of the best engine builders in the world.

Of course, this is would never happen.... I'm guessing for Motus the hard part now is gonna be securing dealers and floor financing. Their pricing is nuts.
That would have actually been a way smarter move on Polaris' part than buying Indian? They already build very good cruisers, Motus could have been a way to move into another market.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #1753
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... But as was said, those who want a functional motorcycle are not going to be into that kind of thing, and bikes like the ST1300, FJR1300, Concours 1400, and a number of others are far better sport tourers than the Motus, at less than half the price. So, the Motus comes up short on looks, performance, and functionality compared to many bikes half it's price or less. So what is there about it to like?
How do you know those others are "far better sport tourers"? How do you know the Motus comes up short on performance and functionality? You're speculating at best, because you haven't ridden it and you don't really have any factual info to base that on. When it hits the market, some tests of the actual production versions are conducted and written up, and you've taken a decent ride on one, THEN you have some basis for these statements.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #1754
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You'd cross shop the lard-assed Honda custom cruiser with this lithe sport-touring machine?

Really?

As the current owner of both a cruiser and a Goldwing, the FB6 makes perfect sense for me. I know how the Goldwing performs, and it is a comfortable all day ride, important to me if I actually want to go somewhere. And it is dead reliable. The FB6 is just a stripped down restyled Goldwing for $10K less.

I was unable to ride a stock Ninja 500 very far without pain, so I would probably have the same issue with ANY sport tourer. And yes I am speculating, as I have never ridden any of these bikes, though I have sat on the C1400 and FJR. I am going by motorcycle magazine road tests, and they have all been very positive for the 3 Japanese bikes I mentioned. They have been around long enough to be pretty well known. There are multiple threads on here for each one of them. The Motus is up against some pretty stiff competition, and at over twice the price, I don't see anyway it can win.

I'm not one of them, but most motorcyclists these days put a high value on the latest technology. All 3 Japanese bikes have a lot more of it, including ABS and shaft drive, than the Motus. Plus they are proven. The Motus is not. I doubt it would compete well with those other bikes at their price. But at over twice as much? Yes, it is speculation, but I just don't see how it can work.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1755
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As the current owner of both a cruiser and a Goldwing, the FB6 makes perfect sense for me. I know how the Goldwing performs, and it is a comfortable all day ride, important to me if I actually want to go somewhere. And it is dead reliable. The FB6 is just a stripped down restyled Goldwing for $10K less.

I was unable to ride a stock Ninja 500 very far without pain, so I would probably have the same issue with ANY sport tourer. And yes I am speculating, as I have never ridden any of these bikes, though I have sat on the C1400 and FJR. I am going by motorcycle magazine road tests, and they have all been very positive for the 3 Japanese bikes I mentioned. They have been around long enough to be pretty well known. There are multiple threads on here for each one of them. The Motus is up against some pretty stiff competition, and at over twice the price, I don't see anyway it can win.

I'm not one of them, but most motorcyclists these days put a high value on the latest technology. All 3 Japanese bikes have a lot more of it, including ABS and shaft drive, than the Motus. Plus they are proven. The Motus is not. I doubt it would compete well with those other bikes at their price. But at over twice as much? Yes, it is speculation, but I just don't see how it can work.
Ummm...shaft drive is hardly new technology.
__________________
'88 R100GS
'76 xl350
"Don't Panic"
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014