ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #2116
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I didn't ask for your history lesson, I asked you to tell me what brand cachet they had before building expensive butt jewellry.

Why don't you tell us how Lamborhini tractors were exotic and their reputation transferred over.
Look, Ferruccio Lamborghini was a well-known Italian industrialist during the 1950s and 1960s.

Tractors, oil heaters, air conditioners.

By your tone, one might think you had a Ferrari in your woodpile.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #2117
apessino
Beastly Adventurer
 
apessino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Koenigsegg is another. Took 8 years to get the first one to market. Built 2 each year the first 3 years. Someone bought them. Company has zero racing heritage I know of. Just a shitload of investors.

Open any Car and Driver issue and you'll see at least one name of Supercar you've likely never heard of that has no heritage. They build one or 2 per year and someone buys it just to say they have something no one else has even if no one else has ever heard of it.
Seriously.. Pagani? Koenigsegg? Have you taken a look at those cars?

True, they have no heritage or racing history, so they make up for that by being positively INSANE. Astonishing attention to detail and materials, unique engineering and world beating performance - you do THAT and package it in a way that screams "mechanical artwork" and THEN you can charge whatever outrageous price you want for it.

The Motus bikes are nothing like that - they look utilitarian, they are not particularly sophisticated or innovative and they are not going to beat anything performance-wise other than bikes that are NOT meant to be about performance. Nothing wrong with that, but then you have to be priced accordingly, and these bikes most definitely are not. It's as if Pagani came out of nowhere, made a car that looks and feels like a Toyota Avalon and then charged $300K for it - "expensive" is relative, "priced according to expectations" not as much.
__________________
14 BMW HP4 Competition 13 KTM RC8R 10 BMW S1000RR 09 BMW K1300S
11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red 07 Aprilia RSV Factory
apessino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #2118
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes
 
chadhargis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,107
Does anyone make a 185hp sport tourer with 122ft/lbs of torque?

I'd say that's world beating.
__________________
__________________________________
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #2119
apessino
Beastly Adventurer
 
apessino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
Does anyone make a 185hp sport tourer with 122ft/lbs of torque?

I'd say that's world beating.
Yeah, as I said it beats all the bikes for which performance is not the main focus (and assuming those numbers actually materialize, which is yet to be seen, and that's only for the R model). So what?

Sport tourers are really not about all-out power, because if you start thinking that way then is the ZX14 a sport tourer? Slap some Givi bags on one and it'll eat the MTS-R for breakfast in a straight line or in the corners.
__________________
14 BMW HP4 Competition 13 KTM RC8R 10 BMW S1000RR 09 BMW K1300S
11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red 07 Aprilia RSV Factory
apessino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #2120
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes
 
chadhargis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,107
I'm playing the devil's advocate here, but how can anyone be sure it would beat a ZX-14?

We're talking about a 1650cc engine generating some impressive power in a 530lb motorcycle suspended with a Ohlins suspension.

I've never ridden a ZX-14 or a Motus, so I don't know squat about either one. I do know that sometimes the stat sheets are misleading. I own a Ninja 1000 and I can tell you it has AMPLE power. Will it beat a ZX-14...no...and honestly, it doesn't have to.

I'm sorry, I might be in the minority, but this bike is DEAD SEXY:

chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #2121
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kwb377's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: B'ham, AL
Oddometer: 203
I think it's a nice concept and a good looking bike. And I hope it does well because it's a local company. If I had the income level to afford one, I'd buy one in a heartbeat...if only just to be an internet forum "hero" and start a "MOTUS, Who's Got One?" thread. But I don't, and I doubt it's going exponentially outperform my current sport-tourer to justify the price difference to me, which is a...wait for it...





















...ZX14 with Givi bags.


ETA: I do think they should have done the bags differently. If not having Givi design a MOTUS specific bag, at least spec some proprietary lids to give them a unique and OEM (not mail order) look.
__________________
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200 EXC
'82 GS650G
http://www.bikepics.com/members/kwb377/
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #2122
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
ETA: I do think they should have done the bags differently. If not having Givi design a MOTUS specific bag, at least spec some proprietary lids to give them a unique and OEM (not mail order) look.
With today's technology, you'd think spec-ing some proprietary lids would be do-able for a machine costing $30k-$40k.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #2123
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Tomball, TX
Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
With today's technology, you'd think spec-ing some proprietary lids would be do-able for a machine costing $30k-$40k.
I do agree with this.
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #2124
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer
 
X1Glider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Tomball, TX
Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Sport tourers are really not about all-out power, because if you start thinking that way then is the ZX14 a sport tourer? Slap some Givi bags on one and it'll eat the MTS-R for breakfast in a straight line or in the corners.
No disrespect to the C14, but I would prefer the ZX14 over it for ST duty. It outhandles a Busa. I've ridden them both and highway mpgs at 80 mph is outstanding IMO for as potent as it is.

Will it outcorner a Motus? Only a few people really know at this time.
__________________
Bob Krzeszkiewicz - 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 Harley Davidson FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #2125
single
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 121
I just read about the Motus story and I'm thoroughly impressed. They not only built their own motorcycle, they built a highly complex unique big displacement V4 engine to go with it. Say what you want about the price but bringing a brand new vehicle to market as a brand new company focused on motor vehicles is no easy task, especially in today's heavily price sensitive market (the replies to this thread proving that out).

A lot of comments here are really quite depressing. There are far too many people here criticizing the people behind this company for pouring their blood sweat and tears into this project to follow their dreams and actually build something. There are a depressing amount of people out there who are quick to put others down for accomplishing something while they themselves accomplish nothing at all.

To those who have valid criticisms of the bike and honest and sincere suggestions for Motus I'm sure the company is following the thread closely and I know for small companies like this they will listen to EVERYTHING. To those whose only feedback to this thread has been useless criticism of the people who built this bike, enjoy being an angry keyboard jockey know it all, but I really hope you have aspirations higher then that.

Cheers Motus, I am now following your future a little more closely.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #2126
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer
 
soupknotzee's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Signal Hill CA / Dillon CO
Oddometer: 241
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I just read about the Motus story and I'm thoroughly impressed. They not only built their own motorcycle, they built a highly complex unique big displacement V4 engine to go with it. Say what you want about the price but bringing a brand new vehicle to market as a brand new company focused on motor vehicles is no easy task, especially in today's heavily price sensitive market (the replies to this thread proving that out).

A lot of comments here are really quite depressing. There are far too many people here criticizing the people behind this company for pouring their blood sweat and tears into this project to follow their dreams and actually build something. There are a depressing amount of people out there who are quick to put others down for accomplishing something while they themselves accomplish nothing at all.

To those who have valid criticisms of the bike and honest and sincere suggestions for Motus I'm sure the company is following the thread closely and I know for small companies like this they will listen to EVERYTHING. To those whose only feedback to this thread has been useless criticism of the people who built this bike, enjoy being an angry keyboard jockey know it all, but I really hope you have aspirations higher then that.

Cheers Motus, I am now following your future a little more closely.
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #2127
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Tom-Nor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norway west coast
Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Yeah, as I said it beats all the bikes for which performance is not the main focus (and assuming those numbers actually materialize, which is yet to be seen, and that's only for the R model). So what?

Sport tourers are really not about all-out power, because if you start thinking that way then is the ZX14 a sport tourer? Slap some Givi bags on one and it'll eat the MTS-R for breakfast in a straight line or in the corners.
ZX14,K1300S and Haybusa is sportstourers :-D
__________________
Kawasaki ZZR1400(ZX14)
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #2128
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
A lot of comments here are really quite depressing. There are far too many people here criticizing the people behind this company for pouring their blood sweat and tears into this project to follow their dreams and actually build something. There are a depressing amount of people out there who are quick to put others down for accomplishing something while they themselves accomplish nothing at all.
You could not have hit the nail more centered on the head. These guys wanted a comfortable, day-long, US built, sport touring bike. They threw in all the bits they thought were missing from the market and went on a tour promoting the running protos. They were very aggresive with the roll-out plan and are in the final stages of getting the fed thumbs up.

There did everything right, to this point as far as I can tell. Hired the right engineering companies, sourced the right parts, and seem to be pulling it off.

It's easy to be the downer here. Even if the nay-sayers are proven wrong you will hear them here with 'yea, but this is all the stuff that sucks...'. Why bother? The bike isn't your cup-o-venom? don't like the business model? Don't like the bags or the lack of heat shields on the pipes (really?). Maybe bitching about HD is more your speed.

They are a US startup with a goal and the balls to pull it off. This country could use more of that and a lot less bitching.
__________________
A Ducati, some Guzzi, a KTM, and a Excelsior...Indian in resto.
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #2129
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer
 
ktrout01's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Bristol, CT - Home of ESPN and not much else
Oddometer: 748
It's a great looking bike. Being a big fan of the old Honda V's and Guzzis, I love the looks of the motor ! If I could sneak $30K out of the checkbook, I would. I better set a hammock up in the garage loft because I'd be living there for a while when she finds out.

It's great to see a US start up. I just hope that our small business hostile, federal government doesn't make it impossible for them to make it to production.
__________________
I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #2130
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer
 
sturgeon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Great White North
Oddometer: 924
I can hardly wait for the 'I told'ja so' thread, no matter which way this goes. Hell, I'm rootin' for them to succeed and I ain't even Murrican.
__________________
Dyslexics Untie!
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014