Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #2701
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
Lack of ABS is one of it's most attractive features, next to the engine. A Rochester Quadrajet would have been nice, but impossible, for the same reason it keeps losing power and gaining weight. Thank you EPA.

As for the chain, I don't see it being a problem with a centerstand. But a shaft would be nice too. A properly designed shaft drive that DID NOT have to be constantly taken apart for spline lubes. That kills the attractiveness of a shaft for me. It is completely possible to design a shaft that is lubricated by the gear oil at the rear, and engine oil at the front, just like a car. It would never have to be taken apart. But nobody does it. I know I spend more time maintaining my shaft drive than I would a chain drive. And you think a chain is expensive? Wait till the splines on the final drive get chewed up. About $2000.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #2702
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Guzzi.
All the really cool people ride a Guzzi.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #2703
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Didn't you see the price? You get a chain and the Shaft!
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #2704
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Chains on a 600 last plenty long. Chains on a heavy bike with mega-horse power require lots of adjustment and make lots of noise and aren't nearly as smooth. They just make a bike feel clankier. That being said, Motus could only please 50% of people with a chain and 50% with a shaft.

my 1200 multistrada chain lasted 28500 miles and needed infrequent adjustments - so its a bit of a non issue

I wouldn't object to a shaft drive, but a chain isn't a dealbreaker
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #2705
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
my 1200 multistrada chain lasted 28500 miles and needed infrequent adjustments - so its a bit of a non issue

I wouldn't object to a shaft drive, but a chain isn't a dealbreaker
It's the old chain vs. shaft debate... Seemingly endless

Yes, they both have advantages to a degree. My take is more one of peace of mind than anything. With a high quality modern chain you can expect very good life. But more importantly to me is that you can inspect the chain drive system as often as you like, and if you're even half way paying attention you will know it needs attention before it puts you on the side of the road. In the unlikely event that you do need one in a hurry, the parts are readily available just about anywhere too. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could carry a whole damn spare set of chain and sprockets in a saddle bag, and replace it all with minimal tools on the side of the road, provided you have a center stand or some way of getting rear wheel off. Try that with a shaft! Preventative maintenance on chain systems is really not all that frequently required and when it is, it's really a pretty simple task.

None of that is really true with a shaft. You often have no indication of impending doom until it's too late. You really can't inspect the system for wear very easily, if at all, without a detailed tear-down of the rear of the bike. When one goes, good luck on finding the parts and getting it repaired quickly. And that's not even mentioning the COST of said repair if needed. Same goes for any preventative maintenance. Not a simple task for the DIY sort, and not cheap to have done either.

I've never had an issue with a chain on any of my motorcycles. I check them occasionally, clean and lube them sporadically, and replace them when I feel it's time. On my GS though, I must say that even though I've never had a problem (KNOCK WOOD!!!) it's never far from my mind that they have been known to have catastrophic failures at the worst possible time.

So for me, at this point in time, it's worth the slight increase in hassle on occasion to have peace of mind 100% of the time. I always know what my chain's doing. Not so with my shaft.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2706
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
The chain on my XV920 RH Yamaha has been swiming in it's enclosed grease bath for 35,000 miles, since 1981.
Enclosed chain drive, it's the schinizzle.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 05:15 PM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #2707
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Hmm.......Guess I better convert my car to chain final drive before something breaks.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #2708
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I wonder how long before you might be able find sprockets and where.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2709
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Well, with a completely new manufacturer and bike, that could present an issue. Most likely in this case, it may be Motus dealer specific since there aren't likely to be enough of them around for any of the aftermarket manufacturers to bother with making them.. That is, of course, unless Motus didn't reinvent the wheel, and instead used an off the shelf bolt pattern from some other existing bike. If that's the case, and you can find out what other bikes share the sprockets, it'll be an easy matter to get sprocket just about anywhere. Hopefully, they were smart enough to use sprockets from another model, if for no other reason than to save themselves the expense of producing one off items for production.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2710
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,090
I do like a shaft drive, mostly b/c the slack doesn't change. I hate with my chain is a little loose, but not really loose enough to bother tightening. Also, the chain seems to pick up a lot of road gunk, and cleaning chains kinda sucks, so I don't do it. Shafts just feel consistent to me, and I like that.

I can see why they went with a chain though. A chain is the most efficient (from what I understand) way to transmit power to the rear wheel. It's cheap, effective, and easy. Regearing is no issue, mx is a breeze and it's proven. New parts are available at every store, and quality product lasts. But again, the biggest point is the power delivery, and these guys are really goin' for performance here, iirc.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #2711
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post

I dont know for sure of course. But I would be shocked if MOTUS is not using a standard sprocket. It would be silly to custom design a sprocket.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #2712
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
I do like a shaft drive, mostly b/c the slack doesn't change. I hate with my chain is a little loose, but not really loose enough to bother tightening. Also, the chain seems to pick up a lot of road gunk, and cleaning chains kinda sucks, so I don't do it. Shafts just feel consistent to me, and I like that.

I can see why they went with a chain though. A chain is the most efficient (from what I understand) way to transmit power to the rear wheel. It's cheap, effective, and easy. Regearing is no issue, mx is a breeze and it's proven. New parts are available at every store, and quality product lasts. But again, the biggest point is the power delivery, and these guys are really goin' for performance here, iirc.
Belt drive is more efficient than chain drive.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #2713
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I dont know for sure of course. But I would be shocked if MOTUS is not using a standard sprocket. It would be silly to custom design a sprocket.
Possibly , but unfortunately , probably not. They'd rather sell you their sprockets.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #2714
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A Rochester Quadrajet would have been nice, but impossible, for the same reason it keeps losing power and gaining weight. Thank you EPA.
Please tell me that is sarcasm?
2011 Sprint GT, 2000 Moto Guzzi Jackal, 1981 Honda CB750F, 1957 BSA Bantam D3 restoration project, Past bikes -2008 Kawasaki KLR650, 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C, 1998 Honda Shadow Aero VT1100C3, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14,1980 Yamaha XT500
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #2715
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
Please tell me that is sarcasm?
Anyone who would seriously long for the days of a Quadrajunk carb is demented.