ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #346
606XXZIP
NAVVET
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
And H-D makes more expensive factory production models than Ducati.




Motus is not producing bikes yet. I don't know what their stance re: unions is. Given their base in Birmingham, I could wager a guess though.



I don't know what their "Euro Design" is exactly, but I think the bike looks okay. Understated, with the engine featured prominently.




And for the second time, Motus doesn't support its bikes because it isn't producing them. They have two prototypes. They have not announced any affiliations with Polaris or any other established companies. When the time comes to support customers' bikes I'm sure they will have a plan. Will there be a boutique on every suburban corner? Probably not.
Euro Design

More directly I will say that whoever the Chief Designer is for Motus MUST have been heavily influenced by the Design Masters of our generation Pierre Terblanche and Fabio Taglioni.

You can see their concepts on display in the Motus motorcycles.

The Motus looks visually appealing because it is based in part on concepts that have already been proven successful by previous designers mentioned above.

Horse beaten enough ?
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #347
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
JALnSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Florence SC
Oddometer: 1,032
Personaly I don't care who designed the bike or what there petagree is. I (myself) think the bike looks great, sounds great, hell it most likley smells good.
If someone dosent like it, that's fine. But don't go bashing it like a wack-a-mole. Would I like to have one, yes. Would I pay for it? Yes. Would I need pain killers to cope with my face from cramping due to the constant smile? YES.

How to distribute? Individual sales associates working directly for Motus. Pick 8 or 16 regons. Have a tech and salesman for each. You buy the bike and deal with your local rep and tech. Have a problem with your bike he comes and picks it up. Leaves you a loaner untill yours is back.
Every dealer out there now has pissed off people in the past, people want a personal connection. There is no better way to make it than the manufacturer being at the level of the customer. Yes I will work for them if they call.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaRdPJI3sU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

new vid I found today.
__________________
You think chicks dig guys looking like road-grimed power-rangers with cool scars?
You must be smoking rope, Boy!
JALnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #348
606XXZIP
NAVVET
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
Personaly I don't care who designed the bike or what there petagree is. I (myself) think the bike looks great, sounds great, hell it most likley smells good.
If someone dosent like it, that's fine. But don't go bashing it like a wack-a-mole. Would I like to have one, yes. Would I pay for it? Yes. Would I need pain killers to cope with my face from cramping due to the constant smile? YES.

How to distribute? Individual sales associates working directly for Motus. Pick 8 or 16 regons. Have a tech and salesman for each. You buy the bike and deal with your local rep and tech. Have a problem with your bike he comes and picks it up. Leaves you a loaner untill yours is back.
Every dealer out there now has pissed off people in the past, people want a personal connection. There is no better way to make it than the manufacturer being at the level of the customer. Yes I will work for them if they call.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaRdPJI3sU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

new vid I found today.
Direct sales - hmmmm - interesting business model.

It just might work. God knows everybody hates dealerships.

I would love for a Ducati tech to come pick up my bike for an oil change and give me a loaner while I wait for its return.
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #349
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
JALnSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Florence SC
Oddometer: 1,032
I brought it up I got dibs on it.

It always sort of irked me about paying an $86 an hour Shop rate for a $12 dollar an hour kid to learn how to take apart your bike. I guess that's why I work on my own stuff.

Most service can be done out of the back of a sprinter van. I have done ATV engine swaps in much less space.
__________________
You think chicks dig guys looking like road-grimed power-rangers with cool scars?
You must be smoking rope, Boy!

JALnSC screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 03:45 PM
JALnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #350
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
Individual sales associates working directly for Motus. Pick 8 or 16 regons.
Per State?

Your scheme "might" work East of the Mississippi, but in most States/Regions, the distances required for these two guys to travel between bikes would basically mean you'd have to hire gypsies for the positions.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #351
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,055
This has been a great thread with the exception of the denigration into "everyone hates dealerships" and gypsy service model discussions. What a load of shit. "Everyone" doesn't hate dealerships. Not even close, though I do start to wonder if almost everyone on Advrider hates dealerships sometimes. And the talk of personal sales/service tech teams with loaners? Congratulations, you just turned a bike that possibly costs $25,000 into a $35,000 bike in an attempt to support all of those traveling people and loaners.

No, Motus will use a franchise or dealer agreement model just like everyone else. Why? Because it works. Some brands better than others, and certainly none are perfect and they all have some warts. Unfortunately some here are always more focused on the warts than they are on the host, and the majority of dealership experiences that are good get lost in the vocal sniveling, whinging minority. Think about it. If the dealer model really failed as much as a few around here would suggest it would have been replaced by manufacturer owned and controlled outlets/distributors/whatever you want to call them a long time ago, when manufacturers might have had enough money to pull it off.

Motus is focused on developing and manufacturing what looks to be a great product. They will not have the resources to own and run the retail end of the business or deal directly with the end consumer. I'm not sure any production manufacturer has those kinds of resources available nowadays. To think Motus would go that direction is a pipe dream
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #352
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid View Post
Looks like somebody started with a clean sheet of paper. I can't think of any other sport bikes with a longitudinal V-4. I like it.
Sportbike, no. St1100/st1300, yes.
__________________
'13 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, '07 Moto Guzzi Griso, '08 KTM adventure, '00 EH Super X, '48 Indian Chief (in resto)
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #353
606XXZIP
NAVVET
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
This has been a great thread with the exception of the denigration into "everyone hates dealerships" and gypsy service model discussions. What a load of shit. "Everyone" doesn't hate dealerships. Not even close, though I do start to wonder if almost everyone on Advrider hates dealerships sometimes. And the talk of personal sales/service tech teams with loaners? Congratulations, you just turned a bike that possibly costs $25,000 into a $35,000 bike in an attempt to support all of those traveling people and loaners.

No, Motus will use a franchise or dealer agreement model just like everyone else. Why? Because it works. Some brands better than others, and certainly none are perfect and they all have some warts. Unfortunately some here are always more focused on the warts than they are on the host, and the majority of dealership experiences that are good get lost in the vocal sniveling, whinging minority. Think about it. If the dealer model really failed as much as a few around here would suggest it would have been replaced by manufacturer owned and controlled outlets/distributors/whatever you want to call them a long time ago, when manufacturers might have had enough money to pull it off.

Motus is focused on developing and manufacturing what looks to be a great product. They will not have the resources to own and run the retail end of the business or deal directly with the end consumer. I'm not sure any production manufacturer has those kinds of resources available nowadays. To think Motus would go that direction is a pipe dream
It is called sarcasm - Reread what I wrote with that in mind. There is not going to be direct sales of motorcycles with Motus or anybody else.
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #354
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
JALnSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Florence SC
Oddometer: 1,032
Not saying every dealer out there is bad, but every city has a MC dealer they would take there bike to and another dealer they wouldn't think of darkening the doorway. I know I deal with both.
1. This is a place where ideas can come to life. The idea of excelent customer service is still out there and I hope it can be grasped.
2. Many builders of products (not only MC) look only as to who will pay the most for a franchise fee to carry there product. Concern should be placed on who can service the end user the best.
3. Independent dealers are having more pressure every year to support larger floor plans, increasing stock on hand, and purchasing in bulk. This is the exact same thing with the car dealerships from the 50's to the 90's. That is why you see few truly 1 front dealers.
It seems like the guys at Motus are trying to buck the trend and I hope they do well. He'll I hope they blow the socks off the entire market.
Enough of this serious talk I am going back to having fun. I get paid to do the other.
__________________
You think chicks dig guys looking like road-grimed power-rangers with cool scars?
You must be smoking rope, Boy!
JALnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #355
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow
 
LuciferMutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: New(er) Mexico
Oddometer: 10,781
Here's another "I hope Motus succeeds" post.

Some of you guys are real wet blankets!
__________________
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitro glycerin plant!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #356
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Here's another "I hope Motus succeeds" post.

Some of you guys are real wet blankets!
I hope they succeed as well... I just do not see how it is possible. With Sport Touring bike making up what?.... 2% to 3% of the bikes sold in the USA and well represented by Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzz... Carving out a piece of the pie from such a small piece of the pie just does not seem viable.


Who knows...

Maybe Polaris or Harley Davidson will pick this up and run with it? It certainly seems like a worthy bike. Maybe it is one of their projects anyway cleverly disguised as an upstart to garner press and public feedback?
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 07:12 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #357
Jasper ST4
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
I'm skeptical of the 2-3% sport touring sales, probably depends how they defined sport touring. They make up a much higher percentage of the bikes that I see on the road.

I imagine a good many have them because there is no domestic alternative. What they'll pay and how good the Motus is remains to be seen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #358
606XXZIP
NAVVET
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 228
Being a small business owner myself - I wish the best of fortunes to Motus.

The odds are stacked against any startup company especially one relying on such a niche market (Premium Priced Sport Touring Motorcycles) in a time when people are out of work, taking shorter close to home vacations, and disposable income for toys is at an all time low.

I don't have any documentation but from what I see on the streets is alot of scooters. It seems that vespa style scooters are really taking hold in the american culture and I believe it has to do with the $4.35/gal gas. This may be a viable market to exploit for profit. The thing is that there are tons of cheap chinese scooters available.
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #359
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrbreeze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 7,638
I don't think Motus will need to sell these in huge numbers in order to survive. They are apparently targeting upscale buyers, who are probably recession proof to a large extent.

I hope there are enough Harley and BMW owners out there who will find this interesting enough to want to own one.
__________________
2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #360
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I hope they succeed as well... I just do not see how it is possible. With Sport Touring bike making up what?.... 2% to 3% of the bikes sold in the USA and well represented by Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzz... Carving out a piece of the pie from such a small piece of the pie just does not seem viable.

The "adventure tourer" market seems to be doing okay. If Motus walks the talk, I can't see why they wouldn't make inroads there with this bike.



People don't buy categories. They buy bikes that do what they want a bike to do. And notoriously, most people who buy adventure tourers don't want them to go far off the tarmac.

They want comfort, character, longevity, grunt, sporty steering, sweet suspension, not too much fairing, good fuel range ... the list goes on and Motus may well have most bases covered.
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014