Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #946
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,634
Bet Eric Buell is watching to see how this develops.

EBR has a base market and is respected as far as i can read/tell.

EBR 1190 sport touring might pull $30k otd.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #947
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,650
I'll have a dealer (one I don't like but) near me. I'll keep an eye open and see if they ever get one.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #948
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 842
Motus pricing...

.....yeah......um.......wow.

I sat on the bike in Houston and absolutely LOVE the riding position, style, engine....all of it.

But da-aaaaamn!!!!!

30 G's?

Wow.

When you can buy a K1600GT for 25K, that is a tough sell.

I'm out.

That bike is definitely for the Porsche and Ferrari tax bracket. I can't afford a K1600GT, much less a super low volume, boutique machine with very little dealer support, little spare part supply, and an iffy financial future for survival.

I hope they thrive, I truly want them to succeed, but I'm just a working man and I just can't afford one.

Good luck all, I'm out of this thread.

I'm gonna go rob a bank.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #949
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,301
Damn, still want one. Make mine a base model please.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #950
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,604
30k.

Yeah, I saw the article on visordown.

When you can get a fully loaded BMW or HD for a lot less, I cant see them selling many. Then again, maybe they don't need to, ESP in the first year.

Which brings up another point. Who's gonna drop 30 large on a first-year bike with a small (ish) dealer network?

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #951
OldPete
Be aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
30k.

Yeah, I saw the article on visordown.

When you can get a fully loaded BMW or HD for a lot less, I cant see them selling many. Then again, maybe they don't need to, ESP in the first year.

Which brings up another point. Who's gonna drop 30 large on a first-year bike with a small (ish) dealer network?
Dealer network is not a real issue IMO. HD guys throw that around about Victory all the time.
Motus has to start somewhere. I would trust AF1 in Austin from reading his posts on the Aprilia forum. He tells it like it is.

In 1997, Morbidelli sold 4 V8 motorcycles for $45k USD each... w/o hard panniers.

I think Motus will out do that.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #952
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Dealer network is not a real issue IMO. HD guys throw that around about Victory all the time.
Motus has to start somewhere. I would trust AF1 in Austin from reading his posts on the Aprilia forum. He tells it like it is.

In 1997, Morbidelli sold 4 V8 motorcycles for $45k USD each... w/o hard panniers.

I think Motus will out do that.

I agree, they have to start somewhere. It's just a bit steep for a first year bike.

But I'm guessing that estimated price is covering their R&D and overhead after manufacturing a brand new engine. They seem to have a lot of groundswell interest. I wish them well.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #953
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Yes, and where is Morbidelli now?
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #954
OldPete
Be aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
Yes, and where is Morbidelli now?
The factory in Pesaro Italy is now a classic motorcycle museum.

I threw that out because they had a lot of passion but little critical thinking.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #955
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
I don't get balking at the price, if you hold motorcycles as a main priority in your life.
For less than the cost of a stripped F250 or a tarted up Kia Optima, you can buy one of the first American made, not v-twin cruiser, modern, clean sheet design bikes in the world.

What's the big deal? Not many would balk at buying a truck or car for 30k? You can commute on it. You can drop by the farmer's market or co-op and pick up veggies with it. You can take it to the gym or dojo. You can date on it. You can vacation on it.

I don't get the resistance. Not here on ADV rider. Maybe on loudpipesandconchosintheparkinglot.com, trailerqueenstodaytona.net, gelandstrassewithadoubleshotandsoylatte.biz., or farklechatmeetup.co.

I can't afford it, but it has more to do with you pricks who won't actually buy motorcyle magazines than my unwillingness.
and I'm going into grad school... so I couldn't buy a new rebel right now.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #956
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,781
Hey if HD can sell a slower, heavier, uglier, less capable, less exciting, less practical machine for $25K, Motus should be able to sell quite a few of these things for $30k.

We'll see who puts their money where their mouth was. Should be interesting to see how this develops.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #957
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
It's a cool bike and I LOVE the engine, but $31,000 for the "base model" it's simply too expensive (that's closer to $34K out the door, right? and nearly 40K for the other model) That price also EXCLUDES most of the basic options you'd want for sport-touring (it does have a powerlet outlet as standard, but why not cases?) At least when you drop $20-25K for a BMW you get hard bags and gadgets included. For that price you'd think they'd load it up, maybe update the KTM styling a little, and put a top-shelf pipe on it. Hell, for that price they should fly you to the factory to take delivery, set you up for a track day, and then deliver the bike to your home (that would actually be a pretty cool idea).

Consider that for the same price you could buy and turbo just about anything else and have enough left for a couple of spare bikes (or buy a good sport-tourer AND a car).

A small dealer network is fine if you're selling an economy bike, but I wouldn't want to be 1,000 miles from a dealer on a first-year model bike. I find it bad enough that I'm 100 miles from the nearest BMW dealer.

I'm really rooting for these guys, but this looks more like the "OCC" type product (small niche) than the anything that could ever take off in a big way. Maybe Victory will buy them and inject enough cash to allow for the production of something closer to 20K?
IBR #443 (2011 Finisher)
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #958
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 842
AF1 in Austin is a great dealer....

......but, the only buyers for this bike are the super wealthy owners who can drop that kind of coin and not blink an eye. I'm sure they will have enough of those types to crank out Motus bikes in low volumes and stay afloat.

For the rest of us working stiffs, as much as we lust over this machine's riding position, engine, and chain drive handling, it will be impossible to us 99%ers to choose the Motus, which does NOT have ABS, over a Honda VFR1200, or C14, or FJR, or a BMW K1600GT for crying out loud. All of these other bikes offer proven reliability, the support of dealers coast to coast, an actual parts supply, and life saving ABS and other goodies all for WAY less money.

A fine machine? No doubt? Real world? More like Jay Leno's world. Nothing WRONG with that, but now I really wish I was born rich instead of well hung. Damn.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #959
D-Mac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Hey if HD can sell a slower, heavier, uglier, less capable, less exciting, less practical machine for $25K, Motus should be able to sell quite a few of these things for $30k.

We'll see who puts their money where their mouth was. Should be interesting to see how this develops.
Your point would be true if most buyers really shopped based on performance or practicality. They do not. Harley is an established brand. Their bikes are heavy, they use badly outdated suspension components, they lack the latest safety features, and the frame geometry is (cleverly) designed to make their bikes "look" a certain way. Yet they control the biggest slice of the pie because they have history, a massive dealer network, a fairly reliable reputation, and the right image. Like Ducati, they're selling a lifestyle. Many HD buyers could care less about performance (actually that's not true - they care a LOT about performance.....relative to other Harleys). Many Ducati buyers could care less about maintenance costs. The drawbacks and price are balanced against perception and can't be easily rationalized.

So Motus might be a much better product, but it's not widely known. If you're going on performance, why not buy a Panigale or an S1000RR? I could see some buyers wanting to buy a Motus because it's innovative and American made. Good reasons. But I don't see that many doing that.

I hope they prove me wrong.
IBR #443 (2011 Finisher)
D-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #960
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,758
Guys, this is business 101. If you are going to be a low volume, high value company, you need to be premium priced and exclusive.

Think Gucci. They used to brand everything and did high volume. The value of the company skyrocketed when they pulled way back, dropped all the licensed product, went high end with very exclusive pricing.

Motus wouldn't get any financial backing if their business plan was to go low volume and compete on price with the mass market.

They better have a product that differentiates. Low volume, low value, high price doesn't work either.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote